Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Seasonal-Local-Raw?
Posted by: esisser ()
Date: August 07, 2007 03:26AM

I live in New Paltz, NY. Does anyone have any suggestions for maintaining a raw diet into the fall/winter? I was wondering, is it safe/nutritious to eat potatoes, squash, pumpkin raw?

I'm learning more and more about eating local, and although I love eating mostly fruit and I feel better when I eat all fruit, I feel terrible when I think about what damage is being done to the planet just so I can eat a banana or a mango in northeastern US.

"Real religion is the discovery of your authentic nature... it is your own discovery... only when you will be your own discovery will you be able to consider yourself a religious being... a religious soul..."

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Seasonal-Local-Raw?
Posted by: perbetty ()
Date: August 07, 2007 03:37AM

Yes, they're all safe. Pumpkin's not very fun to eat raw, yams are tastier, and so are beets.

Betty

"Don't believe everything you think."

--Bumper Sticker

Date: August 07, 2007 03:41AM

Sweet, thanks Betty! Let the adjusting to eating raw potatoes begin!!!!!! :-) (maybe some sea salt with the potatoes would be nice... from a sea within 100 miles or something)

"Real religion is the discovery of your authentic nature... it is your own discovery... only when you will be your own discovery will you be able to consider yourself a religious being... a religious soul..."

Date: August 07, 2007 04:17AM

esisser Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sweet, thanks Betty! Let the adjusting to eating
> raw potatoes begin!!!!!! :-) (maybe some sea salt
> with the potatoes would be nice... from a sea
> within 100 miles or something)

LOL, that was a good one.

If you want, you can put some raw ketchup on those raw hash browns or fries...

sun-dried tomatoes and the water they're soaked in
agave/honey (if desired)
lemon juice/cider vineger (if desired)
onion (if desired)
salt to taste (non-negotiable, but that's just my opnion)

Blend it all together until smooth and ketchupy.

Here's a more official recipe: [www.dld123.com]

Betty

--Bumper Sticker

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: August 07, 2007 04:31AM

Relocating may be the best answer to that dilemma, if it's possible.

But if you don't feel it's possible, there are lots of worse things you could be doing than eating bananas! smiling smiley Taking care of your body unit as a unique part of the whole is important too.

If you're not able to move, and you do want to keep eating bananas, maybe you can try to make up for that in other ways, and maybe you already are!

If you're not already composting, turning those banana peels back into soil would be one good thing you could do. smiling smiley

Once winter is here, maybe you'll be more interested in green veggies anyway and you'll want less bananas and other fruits. Citrus fruits and apples will usually be available, and they don't have to be shipped from so far away. Raw potatoes, squash, and pumpkin don't sound very good to me, but lots of people eat raw squash, raw sweet potato, and raw yam.

Then of course, there's always raw nuts and seeds. I even like sprouted grains occasionally, and they don't require refrigeration.

Wishing you the best!

Meanwhile, summer's still here!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2007 04:35AM by suncloud.

Date: August 07, 2007 05:21AM

Sorry esisser and perbetty,

I didn't see your posts before I submitted mine, and I feel like I kind of busted in on your conversation. Hope you didn't mind.

Here's one other thing I thought was kind of interesting: Cuba is actually closer to New York than Idaho (potatoes), or at least that's what it looks like on my map. I've heard rumors that Cuba grows some pretty good bananas! Too bad we have that Cuban embargo thing going.

Of course the New York climate is more similar to Idaho than Cuba.

Just musing.

Date: August 07, 2007 07:15AM

Hey Suncloud, bust in any time. By the way, the Dominican Republic (where I live most of the year) has awesome bananas, too. I can't even eat these ones I get here in Seattle anymore. I have to blender them, because eating them straight makes me feel like I'm going to choke. What do they do to them to get them to stay so yellow for so long, anyway? Nevermind, I don't think I want to know.

Betty

--Bumper Sticker

Date: August 07, 2007 08:00AM

Hi perbetty,

I bet the Dominican Republic is beautiful!

I know what you mean about the bananas. Here (in Hawaii) we have the Apple and Silk Fig bananas. The taste is so different from the Williams and Cavendish bananas on the Mainland. I was just in Virginia and Texas, and I couldn't even think about eating those bananas. Spoilt I guess.

Don't read the following if you really don't want to know: Bananas sold on the Mainland are often picked really, really green to lengthen the shelf life. Then they're gassed with synthetic ethylene to start the ripening process. Same with pineapples.

I like your quote. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2007 08:02AM by suncloud.

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: August 07, 2007 08:18AM

perbetty, You live in seattle? I live south of seattle in graham. I havent met any raw people yet. are there any support groups your way?
So sorry to barge into the seasonal conversation. I would miss the watermellon they come from california and its hard to grow them here in washington. There are many winter vegies besids squash. kale can grow into the fall and some winter. You can grow some wheat grass and other sprouts. I don't think I would last to eat potatoes and squash.

Date: August 07, 2007 09:09AM

Well, just thought I'd correct a statement in my last post (sorry).

Within the past decade, a method has been developed that turns natural ethanol into ethylene, and that ethylene is now used for gassing the bananas. I don't know if the older method for producing ethylene from natural gas and crude oil is still in use.

The old method was previously used even on (imported) organic bananas.

Posted by: zohra ()
Date: August 07, 2007 01:48PM

Regarding ethylene, I just received a gift -- a plastic egg that
contains materials to absorb ethylene. You just place it in
produce drawer in the refridgerator. Don't know where it was
purchased but it's a clever concept.

Posted by: dewey ()
Date: August 07, 2007 03:08PM

zohra Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Regarding ethylene, I just received a gift -- a
> plastic egg that
> contains materials to absorb ethylene. You just
> place it in
> produce drawer in the refridgerator. Don't know
> where it was
> purchased but it's a clever concept.

i think you can get those by searching the net. i know i`ve seen them sold on tv before....maybe qvc
patty

Date: August 07, 2007 05:15PM

Thanks, Suncloud. Still grossed out, but thanks.

Pampam, way cool that you're in Graham! I'm only here for another week and a half, but a meetup would be great! My email's shown in my user profile (just click on my username).

Yes, there's a couple of groups up here. We've got the Seattle Raw Food Meetup Group, which meets this comming Sunday at our one and only raw food restaurant, Chaco Canyon. Can you come? Here's the info: [rawfood.meetup.com]

The other group is this one: [rawfood.meetup.com]

Betty

--Bumper Sticker

Date: August 07, 2007 06:41PM

"Relocating may be the best answer to that dilemma, if it's possible."

I've often though about relocating, but for several reasons I cant right now, one of them being college.

"But if you don't feel it's possible, there are lots of worse things you could be doing than eating bananas! smiling smiley Taking care of your body unit as a unique part of the whole is important too."

You are definitely right! And of course this may just be a cop-out for not giving up un-local food, but eating raw organic is (even if unlocal) is much better for the environment than local packaged food from corporations who exploit different populations and the planet.... in due time I will eat local, but in the beginning of my raw journey (day 80) it feels right for me to eat fruit. I'll do my best to create great health for myself and in turn great health for those around me by staying positive!

"If you're not able to move, and you do want to keep eating bananas, maybe you can try to make up for that in other ways, and maybe you already are!"

Definitely. I try to do things like not using wasteful packaging like plastic bags when shopping. And I try to use as little energy as possible (electricity, heat). And there's always something to learn with regards to helping the planet.

"If you're not already composting, turning those banana peels back into soil would be one good thing you could do. smiling smiley "

Thank for the pointers! Much love, Ethaan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables