Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Bread
Posted by: Shubby ()
Date: August 07, 2007 08:35PM

Hi, I am new here. I am not raw. I am barely a vegetarian. But the raw concept intrigues me, and it is a goal of mine in the future.

I am 37 years old male, in fairly good shape. I weigh 150 and exercise reguarly.

I already eat lots of fruits veggies and nuts (as much organic as possible) I am just wondering what is wrong with bread. I am not eating wonderbread. This is what I eat.

[www.frenchmeadow.com]

For the runners who are raw. Where do you get your carbs? I know it is psychological but I feel I am hooked on bread and pasta.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bread
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 07, 2007 08:46PM

Shubby Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi, I am new here. I am not raw. I am barely a
> vegetarian. But the raw concept intrigues me, and
> it is a goal of mine in the future.

welcome and good luck with the goal smiling smiley

>
> I am 37 years old male, in fairly good shape. I
> weigh 150 and exercise reguarly.
>
> I already eat lots of fruits veggies and nuts (as
> much organic as possible) I am just wondering
> what is wrong with bread. I am not eating
> wonderbread. This is what I eat.

typically bread and pasta are cooked ..therefore not raw

> For the runners who are raw. Where do you get
> your carbs?

fruits and vegetables

I know it is psychological but I feel
> I am hooked on bread and pasta.

addicted could be another term used smiling smiley

you can replace pasta with zuchini and other things topped with the same sauces in raw ...check out the site here there is lots of receipes smiling smiley same for breads there is alot of raw dehydrator cracker type stuff to get you over that too. smiling smiley check out goneraw here for all sorts of bread receipes [goneraw.com]

instead of worrying much over what to *take* away from your diet ..work on adding in the good stuff and the bad stu ff will work itself away smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2007 08:47PM by Jgunn.

Date: August 07, 2007 09:03PM

Thanks for the quick reply.

I will check out those other websites. today after my hour long run, instead of eating bread like I usually do, I put some papya, pineapple, and straberries in a blender wtih a little water (not tap). It was very satisfying. :O)

Posted by: islandgirl ()
Date: August 07, 2007 09:29PM

Hi Shubby...welcome! I think you are closer to being raw than you think. Most people start out slowly by adding more fruits and veggies into their diet...you are already doing that. I was a carb-a-holic so I can relate to how you feel about giving them up. Honestly, I still miss them but have made a decision to omit them because I feel so much better without them. When I first decided to go raw, I was still grinding my own wheat and baking my own bread...about as healthy as one can get, eating whole wheat pasta, etc. I found that it bogged me down and made me feel lethargic, along with some joint pain. All of that ceases when I omit them, so no matter how good they taste and how much I love them, it was a decision I made regarding what is best for me. The way I found that out was going 100% raw and then re-introducing these items...so I was able to come to that conclusion.

That is what a healthy lifestyle is all about...making choices to benefit your health. You have to want to make the change and be sold on what is best for you.

I personally haven't had much success with dehydrated breads, crackers, etc. I do make some flax seed crackers, but honestly, they're not great, although my hubby loves them. I have made zucchini pasta. It's okay...but not pasta. The one thing I love is ground flax seed. I grind them in a coffee/spice grinder and mix them with a little olive oil and water. Depending on the consistency, you can make anything from a pancake to bread crumbs with this concoction...and without dehydrating. It takes care of my craving. I have a wonderful raw food restaurant near me that makes awesome quesadillas, taco shells, breads, etc...its just I haven't been able to get the hang of it yet, but I'm still learning (only 2 months raw).

Keep experimenting and researching. There is a lot to learn. I can say for me,since deciding to go raw for my 47th birthday gift to myself, I have never felt better and feel healthier than I did 20 years go. No matter how good bread and pasta is...being raw is so worth it!

I mostly eat fruit

Date: August 08, 2007 01:12AM

Thanks for the tips. I noticed you said olive oil. I thought I read somewhere that oils were not "raw". I hope they are. I love olive oil and flax seed oil.

I have one raw restaurant near me, I have not been there yet though.

I have seen some of those crackers at the health food store, They are pricy like 5 dolaars for 10 little crackers.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 08, 2007 01:27AM

cold pressed ultra virgin oils are gennerally raw smiling smiley it is possible to get oils that havent been heat treated/pasturized

(but shhh dont ttell the government they might become alarmed and change that :p... )

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: perbetty ()
Date: August 08, 2007 05:42AM

islandgirl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I have a
> wonderful raw food restaurant near me that makes
> awesome quesadillas, taco shells, breads,
> etc...its just I haven't been able to get the hang
> of it yet, but I'm still learning (only 2 months
> raw).

Islandgirl, did you see the recipe for corn tortillas from Raw Food Real World? It's the post from smilebig called "For Betty" in the Recipes and Food Prep. forum. They're really good and easy to make. And "beans" are in there, too. I hope you like them!

Betty

"Don't believe everything you think."

--Bumper Sticker

Posted by: islandgirl ()
Date: August 08, 2007 12:51PM

Thanks Betty..I'll check it out. I haven't spent any time at Raw Food Real World yet, but I'll have to make a stop there.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables