Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

No energy
Posted by: islandgirl ()
Date: August 08, 2007 09:39PM

I've pretty much always had low energy and I was hoping it would get better on raw. I think it has...although its hard to tell. I've been raw for 9 weeks, in varying percentages, but 100% for the last 7 days. I'm really tired and weak feeling and sometimes drop things. It's an effort to walk, although I'm really not in pain...it's just that my legs feel likw lead. I did my usual walk this morning, but was dragging the whole way. I monitor my nutrition on fitday and take a vit/min + calcium-mag supplements and seem to be okay in that department. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: No energy
Date: August 08, 2007 09:42PM

sorry...maybe I should have posted this elsewhere...just wan't thinking

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: August 08, 2007 10:25PM

If it's only been a couple months since you've been raw & you're also doing 100% raw, then detox seems the logical answer. You'll def want to do a search for Anaken's posts which provide a wealth of information on the effects of the raw cleansing diet. I think she makes a really convincing argument for colonics (though I personally haven't yet gotten past my sqeamishness to try one).

I found myself having a low energy problem after about 6 months on raw, and for me zeolite really did the trick. Still does. I take it daily... I just hate that low energy feeling, it makes me crazy. I'm also generally only about 75% raw. 100% for me (or close to) really makes a difference in energy level, but for my present circumstances it's more practical this way.

People also say that fat will make you tired... I used to eat alot of fat in the beginning and felt great, but tend to avoid it more now, as I think people might make a valid point here.

Posted by: Pistachio ()
Date: August 08, 2007 11:19PM

How is your caloric intake? Is it enough to meet your activity level?

Wishing you vibrant health

Posted by: khale ()
Date: August 08, 2007 11:33PM

Where is Anaken anyway? I've been missing her.

I would agree with anaken and sunshine. Try enemas. They help me tremendously. Dewey mentioned on another thread "autointoxication" from transitioning to 100% raw too quickly and the remedy for this (besides a slower transition) is hydrotherapy, or enemas, colonics (although I've yet to have a colonic) sweat baths (or sweating from moderate exercise), dry brushing and drinking lots and lots and lots of water.

An enema (they are more effective for me after 9:00 at night but then everyone may be different regarding this) affects my mood and energy level faster than anything else. It's sometimes damned near amazing. Personally, I avoid giving myself an enema more than 3 times a week, but I've read and heard raw foodists recommending them more frequently when first transitioning. You basically have to use your own judgement. I find that if I do them too frequently it begins to interfere with normal evacuations.

p.s. a sweat bath is nothing more than a hot as you can handle bath that you submerge yourself in up to the neck if possible. I take a cup of hot tea in with me to induce sweating even more. However, if you are feeling leaden then hot/cold alternating showers might work best for you until you start feeling a little more spry. Hot baths can be very enervating, so be careful getting out of the tub as you're likely to feel weak as a kitten. I always go immediately to bed afterward.

hope this helps,

khale

Date: August 08, 2007 11:47PM

Thanks every one...

Pistachio...I think my caloric intake is okay, but then I'm really not sure how many calories I really need as I'm trying to lose weight. Most caloric recommendations refer to SAD, so I'm not really sure. I just monitor what I eat along with my weight. If my weight goes up, I try to cut back a bit.

Sunshine...I went through a heavy detox when I first went raw for abougt 3 weeks and then it subsided. I guess I didn't expect it to resurface, but I guess that is possible. I have been eating more nuts than when I first went raw as they tend to curb my cravings and satisfy me. I'll look into the Zeolite.

Khale...I'll look up the Anakan post. I'm curious as to why enemas are beneficial. I've always heard negative things about enemas in connection with eating disorders. I've only had one once when I was younger, due to extreme constipation. It wasn't pleasant. So I think that would be a last resort for me. I will try the sweat baths though. That sounds relaxing and enjoyable.

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: August 09, 2007 12:52AM

if you are doing the 80-10-10 thing..you shouldn't be restricting your calories (not should anyone restrict or punish themselves in such a way anyway)

are you eating often throughout the day? mixing foods? 'cheating'? these will all slow/halt detox, and in most cases, be less productive then changing your diet slowly.

In my experience...detox slows down..and speeds up..based on the bodies inteligence and of course how you are feeding your lifestyle (with foods or otherwise).
my belief is that there are always additional 'layers' of detox.

luckily, using the many tools avaliable, there is hope for getting over the bulk of the physical stuff within a reasonable period - for most. it can also slow down/stop, when you are eating denser (nuts/seeds often/daily), under tons of stress, taking stimulants and drugs..etc..

if you are doing all or many of the right things:

sunshine, exercise, simple eating, lots of rest, lack of stress, and eating enough, eating a variety of foods that is appropriate for that moment...
but still have acute symptoms...and this has been going on for a long time...your body is most likely trying to get rid of too many toxins too quickly, and even greater possibility that its reabsorbing them, as suggested above.

- fasting, in such as situation should not be a reasonable option unless one wants more discomfort.

- adding anything dietetically, or any suplements I can't see helping much in such a situation. (open to other opinions on this one of course)

personally I think most folks will benefit from hydrotherapy, and for some its probably mandatory. all the arguments against it are flat out superstitious. and unless abused, is not a 'replacement for healthful living'.

be honest with your lifestyle and whenther you believe whichever philosophy of health you ascribe to hook and line or not. (or even recognize that it IS someone's philosophy)

I would love to engage in a pleasent discussion with someone that can prove me wrong on that point...yet the only such people I ever meet are far too angry. and too incapable of changing their belief system. go figure

using the tools avaliable makes much more sence to me. Whether that means yoga, saunas, hydrotherapy, juice fasting/light water fasting, hibernating...whatever.

best of luck

Posted by: smilebig ()
Date: August 09, 2007 02:14AM

I've been 100% raw and living for 4 days. I had some detox symptoms throughout the night last night. I've had fatigue and weakness as well. I welcome the detox symptoms. It means I'm on the road to healing. I'm under the impression that as the mucoid plaque in my body erodes away, nutrient availability will increase, thus providing me with more energy. I'm biding my time for this to happen.

I agree with anaken that detox intensity and layers likely occur according to the percentage (and fluxuations of this percentage) of raw and living foods being eaten.

The best to you on your journey,
smile

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: August 09, 2007 02:52AM

Even though you detoxed before, you've only been 100% for a week. I think that's really why you're experiencing it again.

I'd say keep up the walking if you can, but also rest as much as possible.

I personally think it's absolutely imperative that the nuts and seeds are organic, and that they are eaten in their whole form as much as possible. If you use raw nut butters, try to keep those at a minimum, and buy the UNhulled tahini if possible. The hulls carry a lot of the nutrition, and you won't need as much.

Keep up the good work!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2007 02:57AM by suncloud.

Posted by: dewey ()
Date: August 09, 2007 04:35AM

khale Wrote:

Personally, I avoid giving myself an
> enema more than 3 times a week, but I've read and
> heard raw foodists recommending them more
> frequently when first transitioning. You basically
> have to use your own judgement. I find that if I
> do them too frequently it begins to interfere with
> normal evacuations.

that`s what i was thinking. if you induce your bm`s don`t the walls of your colon get too relaxed and not work properly?
patty

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: August 09, 2007 05:38AM

you should be resting as much as possible to have regular parestalsis...but that in conjunction with enemas/colonics..paced at a reasonable interval...should do the trick and no harm.

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: August 09, 2007 02:09PM

If you are eating nuts, seeds, nut butters, larege salads, green smoothies, and fatty things like avo and oil for dressing, you might cut those out for 1 or 2 days and only eat fruit. Your energy level should sky rocket.

When your body that is not in top shape has to take energy to digest foods that take longer for the process, they you are going to be short on energy to do other things, even thinking. Keeping digestion down to being quick and easy on your body for the daytime should give you that boost of energy you want. Eat fruit often, I'd say even eat it if you go longer than 2 hours but still aren't hungry..eat a banana, or at least something to keep your energy level consistant thru the day.

If that works for you, then you might think of having your other raw foods for your evening meal, when you don't need to keep up that energy level.

Love,
Prism

Date: August 09, 2007 05:16PM

Thanks everyone for the info. Actually, I feel much better today. Yesterday was just a really weak day and it concerned me.

I do think I am still going through detox still, I just hadn't really thought about it much. And like smilebig said, I do welcome this because I know my body is getting stronger.

I was doing the 80-10-10 thing, but found I cheated on it most of the time. If I allow myself a little more fat (aprox 30%) I can stay 100% raw, which for me, at least for now, is my goal. I probably eat eabout every 2-3 hours. I am careful not to mix foods and for the last 8 days, I haven't cheated even once.

Again, the 100% raw could have caused the detox to kick in again. Well, I'm not giving into it. I'm moving forward. I can only imagine how great I'll feel this time next year...or next month...or next week...or tomorrow!

Posted by: dewey ()
Date: August 09, 2007 05:53PM

islandgirl Wrote:
>
> Again, the 100% raw could have caused the detox to
> kick in again. Well, I'm not giving into it. I'm
> moving forward. I can only imagine how great I'll
> feel this time next year...or next month...or next
> week...or tomorrow!

THERE YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
patty

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables