Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw & Calcium?
Posted by: Ashcat ()
Date: August 11, 2007 01:27AM

Hey everyone.

I first went raw about a year and a half ago. Generally speaking, I really liked the way it felt, but I also managed to lose a LOT of weight in the six months or so I was 100% (I'm 5'8" and went from 135 lbs to about 112 at my lowest). It got the point that everyone I knew was ready to stage an intervention...

At any rate, cut to about four months ago. Somehow, during what should have been a lazy recreational softball game, I managed to fall (dislocated knee being the culprit) and break three (count 'em!) bones. After surgery and a long re-coup period - consisting of me, my couch, comfort food and a pity party - I'm finally back on my feet, sort of, and ready to get healthy again.

Now, I'm almost a week into being raw again, but I don't know what to do about calcium. For one, my mother is convinced that my former raw stint is what caused all those breaks in the first place. The surgeon *sort of* backed her up, saying it's really unusual for someone my age (27) to break that many bones in a fall, and that low body-weight can certainly be responsible (he likened it to cases of anorexics with bad bone density). Has anyone else had this problem?

And what do you do to get enough calcium? I know it's in spinach and strawberries and the like, but I currently need to make sure I'm REALLY getting my daily dose. Currently I'm taking store-bought supplements, but I'm pretty sure they're not raw. If there's not real solution, I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and continue with them...

Thanks (and sorry for the legnth of this post!)
Ashley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2007 01:28AM by Ashcat.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw & Calcium?
Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: August 11, 2007 01:39AM

Oranges, figs and sesame seeds (whole, not the ones with the outer husk taken off) are all reasonably high in calcium. 100g of sesame seeds provides 98% of the RDA (recommended daily amount) for calcium.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: dewey ()
Date: August 11, 2007 01:48AM

Funky Rob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oranges, figs and sesame seeds (whole, not the
> ones with the outer husk taken off) are all
> reasonably high in calcium. 100g of sesame seeds
> provides 98% of the RDA (recommended daily amount)
> for calcium.
>
> Rob

what does 100 g equal out to in measuring amounts like tablespoons and such?

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: August 11, 2007 02:35AM

AC, I've made sure to take enough Magnesium to ensure that calcium is not taken from my bones. I use Peter Gilliam's Natural Calm Plain flavored. Plain is the only effective one without additives. I use a teaspoon or a rounded teaspoon and hotish water and drink it. I do calcium supplements, too but the magnesium is more important. Good luck.

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: August 11, 2007 03:54AM

There was a recent medical study published which you might remind your doctor about, that said raw foodists, despite their generally low body-mass indexes, actually have better than average bone density. I think it's because we're actually taking in viable calcium, whereas with cooked food people eat alot more things that leach calcium.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: August 11, 2007 04:58AM

I'm completely in sync with Funky Rob on the sesame seeds, oranges, figs. And there are other raw vegan foods too that provide lots of calcium.

As Funky Rob says, the sesame seeds have to be unhulled. The unhulled ones are brown, not white.

I eat about 1/2 cup of sesame seeds everyday for 70% of the RDA (100 g of sesame seeds comes out to about 2/3 cup).

An orange provides 5% of the RDA. (5% DV)

Each fresh raw fig provides 2% of the RDA. (2% DV)

A dried fig provides 1% of the RDA. (1% DV)

A cup of chopped kale provides 9% of the RDA. (9% DV)

So if a person eats 1/2 cup of sesame seeds, plus 4 oranges, plus a cup of kale, plus 1 dried fig, that adds up to 100% of the RDA.

People CAN get their calcium on a raw food diet.

My information comes from www.nutritiondata.com.

Date: August 11, 2007 05:13AM

suncloud Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I eat about 1/2 cup of sesame seeds everyday for
> 70% of the RDA (100 g of sesame seeds comes out to
> about 2/3 cup).

thanks suncloud smiling smiley
patty

Posted by: TroySantos ()
Date: August 12, 2007 11:10PM

How about dem greens? Sure spinach, but other greens as well. Especially wild greens. Lambs Quarters and Dandelions, for sure, are two. Others also but I don't remember what.

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Nothing whatsoever should be attached to. - Buddha

Posted by: knownalien ()
Date: August 12, 2007 11:32PM

my understanding was that brocolli was high in calcium.

Date: August 12, 2007 11:33PM

last night on the raw food summit victoria said that dandelion is the green with the most calcium in it :patty

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables