Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Living in a Tent for 1 yr
Posted by: esisser ()
Date: August 12, 2007 08:24PM

Hey everyone. For many reasons, I'm moving into a tent for a while. I live in the Hudson Valley, NY. I was wondering, is it possible to store dandelion over the winter? Either by digging a really deep hole and storing them, or by keeping them in a friend's house?

Or will they basically just wilt away after a week of being picked?

Thanks allot everyone. Keeping up the inspiration! :-)

PS.. Today is "day" 84... thank you all for your help. I often come to this forum for support.

"Real religion is the discovery of your authentic nature... it is your own discovery... only when you will be your own discovery will you be able to consider yourself a religious being... a religious soul..."

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Living in a Tent for 1 yr
Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: August 12, 2007 08:37PM

Maybe try drying them. smiling smiley

Date: August 12, 2007 08:39PM

I've thought about that... but what am I gonna do, eat dried dandelion? Do you think I would need to rehydrate it first? Plus, can I just let it dry on its on after I pick it, or would it be best to dehydrate it in a dehydrator? Thanks for the tip :-)

"Real religion is the discovery of your authentic nature... it is your own discovery... only when you will be your own discovery will you be able to consider yourself a religious being... a religious soul..."

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: August 12, 2007 09:00PM

Dried dandelion still has a lot of nutrition in it; people buy it all the time as an herb. Better than no dandelion at all, right? ;-)

As a person who spends a bit of time in a tent every summer, I say "more power to you"! I think it's pretty cool to live in a tent for awhile. I have a couple of good friends who spend quite a bit of the year in a tent, and no doubt they're a lot healthier for the experience.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: August 12, 2007 09:16PM

Thanks allot for the suppoprt and info Kwan :-)

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 12, 2007 09:18PM

without providing the dandelions with a root base , water and sunshine and protection from the elements (you can do all this with a simple coldframe) the only other way is to dry them an use them dried or rehydrate into a green paste mush or add to other drinks

tent living is fun smiling smiley keep us posted !

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: August 12, 2007 09:49PM

I agree that a better bet would be to construct a small cold-frame or hot house. You should be able to do this with parts you can just scrounge. That way you can have live plants throughout the winter. You should find many resources for constructing these simple things online.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: August 13, 2007 12:39AM

You could make dandelion tea with the dried plant. I like the idea of trying to do a hot house or cold frame for the winter..that sounds cool.

I always liked camping out in a tent..haven't done that for a long time.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: August 13, 2007 01:34AM

Dandelion won't keep in the cold weather, but you can dig a root cellar and keep carrots, cabbages, and many of the winter squashes and other vegetables. Also melons. You would do better with sprouts for green veggies.

Cold framing is another great idea. I cold framed for a few winters in Iowa and had fresh greens for all but the 6 coldest weeks.

Are you going to be way out in the wilderness without any contact, or will you go into town for supplies?

Date: August 13, 2007 04:07AM

Greenie... I will be within biking distance to the beautiful, health-food-store-containing town of New Paltz, NY... but I WILL be living in the wilderness :-)

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: August 13, 2007 04:30AM

I knew some friends who had lived in a tent with their kids for several years. They set the tent on a wood platform and even had a wood burning stove in it. That was necessary because it gets real damp in there. It is a real adventure. I wonder how you would fare during the winter though. Do you have a plan for that? Will you have electricity? What kind of tent will you have? The family I knew had a very large old armey tent and made it fairly homey. It will take a lot of work though.

Date: August 13, 2007 04:36AM

I will be living in a north face mountain 25 four-season tent. Im still looking for a permanent place to keep the tent so that I can keep it on a wood platform... but as of right right I dont have I place to keep it. I wont have electricity. But if I keep the tent in back of a friend's house I might be able to run a long electric cord to my tent :-)

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: August 17, 2007 01:35AM

wow I could never do that. I can't imagine it.

Do you choose this or do you just not want to work? You are going to do this for a year?

By Yourself?

Are you homeless?

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: August 17, 2007 01:39PM

wow, u must have such awesome stores of energy
from soaking up all that forest prana

i iz jealous

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 17, 2007 04:05PM

my ex sister in law lived in a tent on a glacier one winter with a freind smiling smiley she is very into ice climbing and what not. she said it was quite an experience !

im not much of a cold tolerant person so i cant see myself doing sucha thing

now ..if ya pictched me a tent in tahiti or something ... winking smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: August 17, 2007 05:11PM

Not sure I understand the question, but why don't you keep the dandelions growing in the soil? If you kept them in a container protected from weather exposure, they might stagnate (growth-wise), but might be otherwise intact.

I'm postulating based on living in an area with lots of lawn dandelions and non-extreme winter temps.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: August 17, 2007 08:53PM

tahiti tent

heee heee

good idea jgunn

Posted by: fruitgirl ()
Date: August 17, 2007 10:18PM

when i lived in a wiki up i made a fridge with 2 crates
lined with wet towels. one crate just smaller to fit inside
the larger one. and the wet towels inbetween and over the top.

hope that makes sense. have a great year. i really admire you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables