Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

almond myth?
Posted by: allone01 ()
Date: August 15, 2007 07:28AM

is it true there will be no more raw almonds in the u.s, they must all be pasturized?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: almond myth?
Posted by: Miss_Tanya ()
Date: August 15, 2007 08:58AM

I heard that. I hope the same thing doesn't apply to the almonds in the UK!

Posted by: frances ()
Date: August 15, 2007 03:41PM

This is a good article giving an update on the situation:

[www.organicconsumers.org]

In essence, the new law requiring "raw" almonds to have been pasteurized was scheduled to take effect this month, but has now been delayed until March, 2008. This may be the first step toward stopping the whole thing, and this is a good time to make protest.

[www.gopetition.com]

Date: August 15, 2007 04:24PM

This page from the Almond Board explains a lot more about the terms of the new law. The quotation below is taken from this page and suggests that the only way unpasteurized almonds can be shipped within North America is if the recipient is a manufacturer with a verified pasteurization process in place, or the shipment destination is outside of North America.

[www.almondboard.com]

"Therefore, pasteurization at the handler level is required on shipments of raw almonds with the following exemptions: (1) shipments of untreated almonds directly to approved Direct Verifiable (DV) users within North America (U.S., Canada & Mexico which must be labeled as “unpasteurized” on all bulk packaging (e.g. cartons, boxes, tote bags, etc.) and (2) shipments to export markets not within North America which must be labeled as “unpasteurized” on all bulk packaging (e.g. cartons, boxes, tote bags, etc.) . In this way all customers of California almonds, worldwide, will either receive pasteurized product or will be advised through labeling that the product they are receiving is unpasteurized and requires further treatment."

Date: August 15, 2007 04:40PM

I found interesting this blog entry, which if accurate, discusses some of the ways American consumers might legally buy unpasteurized almonds. Complicated, but we may not be lost after all!

[innatehealer.blog.com]

Sunday, July 29, 2007
Sources for Truly Raw Almonds
The USDA will required almond growers and processors in California to pasteurized almonds by Sept 1, 2007, to avoid foodborne illness. The FDA will allow the growers to call the pasteurized almonds "raw". (there shows the ignorance of the food regulators and how far removed they are from nature). We. as consumers, will have no way to find out if the almonds we get at the whole food type markets are truly raw. Now, we can get real raw almonds directly from the growers. Almonds should be soaked before consumption to maximize nutrition and enzymes content. But pasteurized almonds are dead, will not sprout and will not increase enzymes or vitamin C with soaking. We should consume real raw almonds only.

Here are the links to raw almond growers:
"Tree share" for unpasteurized almonds: [www.localforage.com]

And you can buy online directly from the grower- totally unpasteurized. The law refers to "handlers", growers can sell their own nuts. [www.almonds-from-california.com]

[www.journalnow.com] According to the article in journalnow.com: "Growers can apply for exemptions if they can prove that their manufacturing process – be it dry roasting, blanching or any other traditional treatments – achieves pasteurization. They also can sell small quantities of raw, unpasteurized almonds direct to customers at farm stands or at certified California farmers markets, but can face penalties if they are caught selling more than 100 pounds a day to any one person."

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: August 15, 2007 05:33PM

Thanks for all this great information Frances!

That's such good news that the new law has been postponed. I signed the petition at gopetition.com, and I hope everyone does!

Posted by: dewey ()
Date: August 15, 2007 05:38PM

suncloud Wrote:
I signed the petition at
> gopetition.com, and I hope everyone does!

I did too smiling smiley and i added a comment about being against irradiation and pasteurization in general
patty

Date: August 16, 2007 02:55PM

I saw your comment. If you haven't noticed, it's entertaining to look at the signature list for the petition and read the comments people have added. They vary from well written arguments against pasteurization to simple indignation.

Posted by: dewey ()
Date: August 16, 2007 04:19PM

frances Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
If you haven't noticed, it's
> entertaining to look at the signature list for the
> petition and read the comments people have added.

nope, didn`t know that smiling smiley thanks
patty

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: August 16, 2007 05:16PM

>[www.journalnow.com] According to the article in journalnow.com: "Growers can apply for exemptions if they can prove that their manufacturing process – be it dry roasting, blanching or any other traditional treatments – achieves pasteurization. They also can sell small quantities of raw, unpasteurized almonds direct to customers at farm stands or at certified California farmers markets, but can face penalties if they are caught selling more than 100 pounds a day to any one person."<

Doesn't sound to me like it's legal to sell raw almonds through the mail. THey have to 'prove' that their alternative method 'achieves pasteurization.' Those of us who live in states where there are no local almond growers will not be able to get raw almonds. Bummer!

Date: August 16, 2007 06:25PM

kwan: I agree that the phrasing is troubling, and I'm hoping that the reporter who wrote the article may not have gotten all the facts perfectly right. Unless someone finds the text of the new law, we may just have to hope for the best.

Posted by: morrisson66 ()
Date: August 16, 2007 08:10PM

kwan... I'll happily go to cali for a few days and buy some then ship it to you...

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: August 16, 2007 10:35PM

morrisson66--
Hey!!!!!!! I'll take you up on it. ;-)))))))))

(Where there's a will, there's a way...)

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables