Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Tofu? soya?
Posted by: bracken ()
Date: August 15, 2007 03:59PM

Could anyone tell me please if you can have organic tofu or soya on raw food diet? As i have been told I have a hormone inbalance and was told to eat oily fish but obviously I don't eat fish. I already have flax/linseed oil seeds & maca. If there is anything else I could have any advice is well appreciated!

Cheers all

Bracken

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tofu? soya?
Posted by: rawnoggin ()
Date: August 15, 2007 04:26PM

Heya smiling smiley Tofu and soya has to be cooked as there is an enzyme in the soy bean which apparently causes stomach upset. When I used to make my own tofu at home, I had to soak the beans, boil the beans, squeeze the liquid out, add the coagulent and then boil some more. It was well and truly nuked!

Ages ago on www.rawfoodtalk.com I saw a recipe or a link for a proper raw tofu recipe, so you might want to search/ask there for it.

I was a tofu addict, and when I first went raw, I would have rice milk to keep me going instead of soy milk. I would have a little herbed unheated tofu with my salads and eventually I weaned myself off of tofu completely.

I suppose it all depends on how 'raw' you want to be. A little cooked tofu wont kill you smiling smiley

Posted by: Bikini ()
Date: August 15, 2007 07:15PM

Hi Bracken.

One of my favorite raw food teachers in the city where I live adds small amounts of tofu and tempe in the cold winter months to his diet while the rest of his diet stays raw and he goes completely off cooked foods and 100% raw in the summer. He is super healthy and active as well as a yoga practitioner. He has been living this way - 95% raw in winter and 100% in summer, for 25 years and says it has given him great health.
I would suggest if you are interested in transitioning off from soy to all raw, that you eat more tempe rather than tofu. Tempe is the whole soybean product that is fermented into a bean cake so it's less processed than tofu and still has some digestible bacteria that are beneficial.

peace
joy
i breathe in
i breathe out
Bikini

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: August 15, 2007 11:37PM

You could sprout raw soy beans and eat them instead of eating tofu, (lots of work).

Posted by: bracken ()
Date: August 16, 2007 05:57AM

Cheers all for your posts, well appreciated! Does anyone have any ideas as to balance my hormones through foods etc as I really do suffer still from bad PMS/PMT.

Bracken X

Posted by: Bikini ()
Date: August 16, 2007 06:32AM

There is an oil blend called Woman's Essential by Barleans. You can buy it at Whole Foods or a good health food store. It's a mix of evening primrose oil and flax oil and it's specifically for balancing a woman's hormones and health.

And a holistic GYN nurse-practitioner I went to recommends taking the herbal tincture Vitex for hormonal imbalances that relate to women's menstrual/GYN issues. It is also known to help balance womens hormones.

peace
love
i breathe in
i breathe out
Bikini

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables