Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Durian. My First Experience.
Posted by: arilraw ()
Date: August 16, 2007 06:52PM

Durian, durian... durian! Seems like that's all I'd read about. So, I thought, why not? I'll buy one.

My durian cost $8.30. It was fine durian as far as I was concerned. Frozen, but fine.

After I paid the lady at the Asian market, I smiled and confidently walked out of the store with my frozen durian under my arm. I got in my my truck and returned home.

After I got home, I proudly set the durian on a dinner plate and scrapped a bit of a hole in the end; then I set it in the fridge until the following day.

Oh, I could hardly contain myself the following day! Durian this, durian that! By the end of the work day, the guys knew everything that I knew about durian: if you get past the repulsive smell of rot, you'd surely be rewarded with a delicate custard tasting orange package of honeydew and sweet onion, but you either like it, or you don't. I even made grand plans to bring samples to everyone the following morning. This surely was going to become my new favorite fruit!

Well, the following day arrived. When I got home (about 9:30pm), I was quite hungry. I ventured forth and opened the fridg's door: There it was. My durian. My brown little porcupine of an exotic fruit. I took it by its plate, grabbed my trusty mincing knife, and out through the back yard door I went. Picknick table where are you, I thought. Ah, here you are.

With the knife in my right hand and the durian in the left, I cleved it open and... there it was: the expected smell of rot, but also there were those little orange custard jewels. Down the hatch...

I walked in the house two mintes later with the knife and plate. My friend commented that she doubted that I had eat such an anticipated fruit that hastily. I simply looked at her and answered, "you either like it or you don't."

My fine durian and its fragrent rot now resides comfortably if not majestically upon the very peak of my garden's compost pile.

I was hoping that it would be more of a custard taste rather than honeydew. I could handle the sweet onion taste, but I'm simply not a big fan of honeydew-type mellons (by the way, the taste was first honeydew, then onion and then sweet wrapped in a custrad-like texture.

I tried it. I tried a durian. On to the next cullinary adventure!

Thanks,

Arilraw

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Durian. My First Experience.
Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: August 17, 2007 12:56AM

haha

mmm... rotten honeydew... but nonetheless, one day I too will try one!

hopefully mine will taste more like onion custard.

Re: Durian. My First Experience.
Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: August 17, 2007 01:55AM

I truly love fresh durian. I had it once in Paris and when I walked into the room I almost died, the smell was so bad I had to keep it outside on the window ledge. Nothing like the frozen ones I had at home.

It was sin it was so stinky. I had it on the ledge and it still smelled my hotel room up, I was so embarrased, I did not know how to get rid of it. When it came it was wrapped in plastic and after I opened it it was over.

I left it out there.

I had one in Geneva too but it was not ripe.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables