Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Adequate calories
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 17, 2007 02:18AM

I need to lose weight. My body does not respond to low calorie eating. How does anybody fill up on raw foods without falling into a lot of fat and dried fruit. Too many fruits do not help either. Ideas, please. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Adequate calories
Posted by: selenes512 ()
Date: August 30, 2007 02:25AM

Are you sure your body doesnt respond to low calorie eating? Because that is not possible.

Generally people who feel that low caloric intake doesnt work for them are sedentary and restrict their calories for say, a few days, but then overindulge one day, then go back to low calories. You will not lose weight this way because of the effect on your meabolism.

The key to weight loss, for everybody, is consuming less calories than you use in a day. Detoxing also plays a role in weight loss, but the majority of the problem is caloric.

If you are looking to fill up on raw foods, eat plenty of fruit and big salads. Dont be afraid of putting some nuts/ avo in your salad, but dont use oils.

If you want to lose weight, you really need to be consistent and stick to something. There is no cheating on a diet, you are only cheating yourself.

Dont stress so much about your fat content. For now, I saw just concentrate on sticking to a regimen and DO NOT BREAK IT. Then, as you are comfortable, you can cut down on fats/calories as you feel is appropriate for you. I promise, unless you eat nothing but dried fruit and nuts all day and never get up and move, if you have weight to lose, it will start to come off if you stick with raw.

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: August 30, 2007 02:54AM

I can't say I agree with much of the logic above

having a commitment to eating healthy, and slowly removing the cause of being overweight and over-toxic should go a long way if it is strong.

a light diet of fresh fruits and veggies and some nuts, should make this happen regardless of calories consumed.

I think its a good idea to stay away from too much dense fatty stuff or dehydrating foods. say very hydrated with the ammount of fruit you are comfortable with...try to be slightly more active every day...if you find yourself still binging on fats, eat huge salads and perhaps some cooked starches. you can also try eating foods with higher minerals - or concentrated - like in juices - perhaps this is what you are craving

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2007 02:55AM by anaken.

Date: August 30, 2007 03:04AM

I agree with you, my point is more one of conquering poor eating cycles FIRST, then focusing on tweaking your diet to your needs.

In my experience people who say that any diet 'doesnt work' is not truly sticking with that diet.

It sounds to me that purple mind has a poor relationship with food and that needs to be addressed first. Thats why I say just stick to SOMETHING for a while, to gain that confidence in yourself and to retrain your mind.

Even if you are raw, too many calories will cause you to gain weight. However, is very hard to overeat on raw. I cant see how it is possible to eat more than maybe, 2000-2500 calories a day on raw, although I usually get around 1000-1500 eating as much as I want. Its is unhealthy to overeat even if it is good foods. And overeating will keep you from losing weight.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: August 30, 2007 03:13AM

Opinion:

-If weight loss is your major concern, then my experience is that if you eat a HUGE amount of food.....but those foods are very low-calorie/high-fiber/high-fluid/high-nutrient (like fresh fruits and vegetables).....and you combine that with a sensible exercise program.......then you WILL lose weight. Those are the tools. After that, the issues are human ones that EVERYONE deals with: setting small goals and keeping them.

-I'm sure you'll succeed - with the wonderful folks on this board (including myself) to support you.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: August 30, 2007 04:37AM

It certainly IS possible for your body not to respond to a low-calorie diet - that means you're retaining water and wastes in the form of cellulite, which isn't fat.

I hardly see anyone who doesn't seem to have some cellulite, it's epidemic.

[www.sunfood.com]

You could read this page and search the site for Cellulite and see what you think:it's informative. There are a couple of links on that page as well, but the post at the bottom is from the waisays.com I think, and not on waisays anymore.

Date: August 30, 2007 04:54AM

Yes thats true if you dont really NEED to lose weight. I guess I am assuming that anybody who would make a statement like that about themself must be overweight. There is only so much water weight that can be held on a persons body, and internal wastes do not show as fat on the body. Cellulite and weight arent the same problem.

I mean, it is just a fact that fat is primarily the result of too many calories in the diet for how much your body is using. Thats how your body works....

I know we like to think that raw foodism makes us invulnerable but its not true. If you eat 7000 calories per day of anything, be it butter or apples, you will not be a thin person. You just wont. It is important to eat the proper amount of food as well as eat the proper food.

Date: August 30, 2007 05:27AM

I think these ideas are from television commercials and other money-based organizations: they aren't based on reality.

Lots of people mistakenly believe calories are the only thing that directly impacts weight. If you read a lot about it, you'll find lots of info from alternative sources explaining how breakdown of organ function causes all kinds of physical problems, water retention being only one of them.

Weight is measured on a scale and isn't water about 3 times heavier than fat?

Bodies have the capacity to hold lots of water in cells, this is well-accepted by mainstream and alternative health meds. You obviously aren't having a problem with this, but it's very common.

Cheers, aquadecoco

Date: August 30, 2007 05:50AM

There are a lot of conrtibuting factors in weight gain, but I stand by the fact that too many calories is first hurtle.

Actually yes, every fat cell has 4 water molecules attatched to it. But that number is misleading. It is impossible to lose that water without losing that fat it is attatched to. You can lose some, but not all. Your body needs that water to support circulation. So yes, much of your body weight is water, we all know that, but your body needs water in it! You can lose excessively retained water, but there is not a significant amount of that in your body.

For example, if I were to take diuretics for a few days I may lose 3 pounds, thats it, because that is all the extra water I have in me (and then some, I would be feeling very dehydrated if I did that).

Anywhoo, I'm not trying to argue. I'm, just trying to be helpful in the only way I know how, to say what I believe to be true =)

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: August 30, 2007 06:24AM

I have lost considerable weight for the pase 11 weeks I have been raw. I drink lots of water and eat plenty of food. I usually dont eat after 8yawning smileyo in the evening. I try to not eat to many nuts and seeds and I eat one avacado a day. I have just discovered that I was not eating enough calories and had to start to eat more foods. So far the total weight is 60 pounds in 11 weeks. I eat ground flax, wheat grass, rejuvelac, fruit greens and nuts and seeds.

Date: August 30, 2007 06:49AM

selenes512 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There are a lot of conrtibuting factors in weight
> gain, but I stand by the fact that too many
> calories is first hurtle.
>
> Actually yes, every fat cell has 4 water molecules
> attatched to it. But that number is misleading. It
> is impossible to lose that water without losing
> that fat it is attatched to. You can lose some,
> but not all. Your body needs that water to support
> circulation. So yes, much of your body weight is
> water, we all know that, but your body needs water
> in it! You can lose excessively retained water,
> but there is not a significant amount of that in
> your body.
>
> For example, if I were to take diuretics for a few
> days I may lose 3 pounds, thats it, because that
> is all the extra water I have in me (and then
> some, I would be feeling very dehydrated if I did
> that).
>
> Anywhoo, I'm not trying to argue. I'm, just trying
> to be helpful in the only way I know how, to say
> what I believe to be true =)

Yeah I know you're not arguing cuz I'm not either. But we see this very differently. I know that what you've posted may be true for some people, but it isn't true for everyone.

People can cite all the stats they want. I've heard all kinds of notions that are no better than health legends. I've known lots of people whose caloric intake defies all the mainstream 'truths', both ways.

I AM one of those people for whom calories don't matter. I have kidney disease and the only extra weight I carry is water. There are millions of us. I noticed that I could put on several pounds overnight and drop them just as fast and didn't know what was wrong for years till I was finally diagnosed. You don't have such a problem I guess so you have no experience of it. I have over 30 years experience with it, so there's no wiggle room in my opinion. I'm not saying everyone who puts on weight is carrying water - only that people who notice calories make no difference to their weight loss must have a malfunctioning body.

In the past few years I've found more and more esoteric sites with bits of helpful info.... there must be other people who want to learn about the people who DON'T fit those old-school ideas about weight gain and lose, so I found supporting evidence for my own experiences.

I'm reaching out to this person who wonders why, like I did for so long, calorie reduction didn't affect her weight. Well she's not alone.

Purple mind I hope you can do some net searching and find some answers. I'll pm you sites if I can find some in my bookmarks or surfing.

Date: August 30, 2007 04:32PM

Well then yes, you have very special and unusual circumstances. I think its unlikely that purple mind has kidney disease. Read the initial post again, to me it sounds like somebody looking for a quick fix that doesnt involve will-power.

I'm not trying to be offensive, but for the average person, what I'm telling you is the truth. Ask yourself if you have really, truly, consistently (I'm talking sticking to something completely for at least a month) made efforts to lose weight. If you honestly feel as though your body has something wrong with it which keeps you from losing weight, then yes I encourage you to do more research about what your condition may be. But if not, then I think the advice I gave you earlier -to find something you can stick to and then stick with it, and to increase activity, and then as you feel comfortable to restrict 'heavy' foods more- will work for you. Sticking to raw foods is an amazing first step and will make a lot of difference.

Date: August 30, 2007 06:01PM

Wow, you sound like you have so much experience. You speak with the authority of experience, but you don't say what it is......

Date: August 30, 2007 06:41PM

I speak from the experience of losing 30 pounds myself, and the knowledge of years of research on the human body. I will soon be entering medical school (although I do not plan on practicing western medicine). I also speak from a place of common logic, and courage to take responsibility for my own actions and my life.

Date: August 30, 2007 07:21PM

No I do not have very special and unusual circumstances.

Millions of people have kidney disease, millions more have it are remain undiagnosed, and it's one of the fastest-growing medical problems in North America.

Unless you know Purple mind well, why would you purport it's unlikely she has kidney disease? The post says very little... why would you dismiss the info she gives and make your many assumptions?

You seem determined to have answers before you even know the problem well-enough. You can have the last word, but I hope you'll learn to humble yourself enough to be a good medical practitioner. This attitude is the first thing that needs fixing.

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: August 31, 2007 01:20AM

all the recent 'fad' diets DO work (for weight-loss, won't even begin to get into the detriments) due to leaving certain 'food groups' out of the diet completely, without cheating. With little attention (although i'm sure there is some) to lowering calories. anything that increases Detox should facilitate greater clearing of wastes/weight, although sometimes for the very toxic, this is exactly NOT what they want.

The only thing I've heard recently where the med community had ANY intelligence on this matter was discussing how people that do go on low calorie diets and lose some weight have also in turn changed their 'metabolism' and have actually put their cells in starvation mode. creating essentially a 'SKINNY FAT PERSON', someone with a low body weight and low level of lean body mass who still has a relatively high body fat percentage.

Theres a special scale that monitors BF% and weight through sensors..its not common unless one is already very clean, but some folks who have used the scale after a session with a colonic hydrotherapist..have actually gone down on the BF% and gone UP in weight. Its quite a conundrum from a medical standpoint.lol

haha I just found this searching around

"When you go on a very low calorie diet, eventually YOUR BODY ADAPTS.

It's kind of like the BORG in Star Trek, where a phaser weapon works against the alien BORG creatures once, but then they adapt, and soon the same phaser blast no longer does anything."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2007 01:21AM by anaken.

Posted by: Nessi ()
Date: August 31, 2007 02:12AM

aquadecoco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No I do not have very special and unusual
> circumstances.
>
> Millions of people have kidney disease, millions
> more have it are remain undiagnosed, and it's one
> of the fastest-growing medical problems in North
> America.
>
>
> Unless you know Purple mind well, why would you
> purport it's unlikely she has kidney disease? The
> post says very little... why would you dismiss the
> info she gives and make your many assumptions?
>
>
>
> You seem determined to have answers before you
> even know the problem well-enough. You can have
> the last word, but I hope you'll learn to humble
> yourself enough to be a good medical practitioner.
> This attitude is the first thing that needs
> fixing.

Raw Food Diet - cleansing, detoxifying, rejuvinating and energizing - this is all for the purpose of cleansing the organs after they have had the chance to detoxify from the years of SAD diets or emotional imbalances inadvertantly and/or directly effect and affect our organs. The moderator of this website has a great story to reflect this.

Rejuvination is found only after balance has been restored from the years of toxic buildup and a diet that supports the maintenance, as well as other lifestyle practices, make this possible.

I think it is likely organ disorder is a commonality. At this moment, I am of the thought that quality of life is determined by the health of your organs, hence the interest in healthy, life sustaining foods.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables