Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw vegetables vs. Frozen Vegs.
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 17, 2007 05:37PM

I am wish to know if there is any scientific research which verifies that raw vegs. are healthier than the frozen ones. It is obvious that the Fresh are better to our health, but I need (for an article I'm writing) a scientific backing.
Thanks,
Ron

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw vegetables vs. Frozen Vegs.
Date: August 17, 2007 06:16PM

oooops - I wish to know...

Posted by: islandgirl ()
Date: August 17, 2007 07:46PM

Don't have a source...but I've heard some say that frozen are healthier because they are "flash frozen" as soon as they are picked, whereas "fresh" travel by truck and sit for weeks sometimes on shelves. I believe it is true that as soon as something is picked, it begins to lose nutrients, but don't know if anyone has actually compared nutrients. Would love to hear the results of your article.

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: August 17, 2007 09:35PM

From another "is frozen food ok" type thread:
[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: August 17, 2007 09:56PM

Posted by: knownalien ()
Date: August 17, 2007 10:53PM

my gut says try to avoid it. in humans, freezing damages our cellular walls, and though many plants and many things can live in freezing condition, in Nature they do not exist that way. Obviously plants have different cell walls than we do, but I still do not trust it.

I figure, if it doesn't happen to the vegetable or leaf in real life, then I won't try it.

then again, I could be flat out wrong.

Date: August 18, 2007 08:03AM

I agree. With frozen, you know the nutrients are locked in. No, it isnt as good as picking them from the vine in your garden, but it probably is just as healthy as veggies, organic or not, that travel for 2-3 days in a truck at a slightly cooled temperature.(If we are lucky. In fact, now that I think of it, most fresh fruits today do not have anywhere near the taste they had 20 years ago. Why? Yet frozen veggies dont seem to have that problem.

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: August 18, 2007 01:17PM

well, if you read the last thread that sod posted, there would be no way you would think frozen is remotely close to 'fresh' traveled or not.

one obvious visual difference you can see yourself without any theories/science, is that water collectes outside the frozen fruit/vegetable, which means there is less water, for one.

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: August 18, 2007 06:17PM

I would look at whether freezing affects the presence of the negative hydrogen ion, which I believe is the true key to good health as negative electrons are what neutralize oxidative free radical damage in our cells. All raw foods contain these; the fresher the food the more negative ions it has. It's a sensitive ion and I believe I read that both cooking AND freezing destroys it.

I believe that the enzyme theory of raw foods is only part of the story, as it only addresses biology. I believe the more big-picture explanation of why a raw food diet is essential lies in the physics explanation, i.e. the negative hydrogen ion, as physics is all-encompassing and the umbrella under which all the other sciences fall.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables