Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Fat Craving Control
Posted by: azrael ()
Date: August 18, 2007 08:13PM

I've been eating raw since June. One thing that I have noticed since I've started paying attention is how much of my diet comes from fat. As much as 30% of my calories come from fat if I don't pay very close attention to what I am putting into my body. I was shocked when I came to this realization because I always assumed my diet was moderate in fat content. Even when I try really hard to cut it, I still am putting around 20% of my calories from fat into my body.

My problem is that I really am craving things like seeds and avocados. I feel like I am not satisfied until I consume a half an avocado or a handful of seeds. Should I just go with my cravings? Will my cravings change over time the longer I eat this way? Or do you all think it has to do with some sort of unhealthy food addiction that I need to face head on, like the need to be weighed down with something? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of the cravings?

I really want to feel the feeling of vibrant health that many of you other raw fooders feel. So far I have not gotten to that point (although I must be looking better because so many people are commenting on how great I look lately). I am trying to tackle one obstacle at a time. Right now it is too much fat.

Thanks so much!
Shadow

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fat Craving Control
Posted by: greenie ()
Date: August 18, 2007 08:33PM

For me, the cravings go away when I eat plenty of sweet, juicy fruit. Doing that solves the cravings for me pretty well.

Posted by: Mosaica ()
Date: August 18, 2007 08:38PM

A green smoothie helps me with my cravings.
Half an avocado a day is not too much I think.

Posted by: dewey ()
Date: August 18, 2007 08:48PM

if i want an avocado i eat an avocado, sometimes just half of one. if i want nuts i eat nuts but i do so in moderation and it usually doesn`t happen daily unless i`m turning it into a habit. that is a problem for me...getting into routine and habit . it`s good to be that way in alot of other areas and i function best according to routine but with food i think habits create holes. i think eating in variety covers requirement bases. i think with the "fattier" whole foods moderation is key. i don`t remember who posted it...i think it was kwan.... or under which topic but they said that they do much better without restrictions...you know, that certain human trait of i want what i can`t have. it just keeps nagging at you til you cave and then you feel like you failed and it`s all negative which does nothing but humiliate and lower your sense of self. i think you need to answer the question of whether you need to face something head on. you know deep down what`s going on, you just need to be honest with yourself. as far as the vibrant thing i think alot depends on how toxic you were before you adopted raw as a life choice. i think the more toxic you are the more you will notice a difference. smiling smiley
patty

Posted by: Lorretta ()
Date: August 19, 2007 10:37AM

Hi Azrael

I find that if i limit my fat intake then i start craving things containing unhealthy fats like chocolate, which if i give into, lead to other poor food choices.

Eating raw since June is a fantastic achievement.

I notice (because i too monitor my fat intake) that although there are exceptions to the rule, many long term raw foodists mention that it can take quite a while for the body to adjust to a low fat raw diet.

Green smoothies and banana mylk help me achieve a fuller feeling.

Blessings
Lorretta

Posted by: azrael ()
Date: August 19, 2007 03:21PM

Thank you all for your insights and suggestions. One of the things that I am really loving about getting into the raw food lifestyle is the level of awareness that I am developing for my body as well as an awareness of food itself. As a long term vegan, I always thought I had a high level awareness, but my reasons for veganism were more specifically focused on things outside of myself such as animal welfare and environmental degradation. For me, raw food is specifically about my personal relationship with food. I have noticed that I am paying closer attention to things like the colors, tastes and textures. I have realized that I am beginning to love food more. Not "love" in the same way one loves chicken wings, mashed potatoes and gravy. Rather, a love that is more along the lines of gratitude. I am really appreciating what the food gives to me. I also am noticing more what the food feels like in my body. I can't believe how sensitive I have already become. I also have noticed what food is doing to my mental/emotional states. Fats, as far as I can tell, make me feel more slow, dull and heavy. But at the same time I am really craving them. I do not feel satisfied without them. Maybe my craving for fats is more of an emotional attachment rather than need. But like what was mentioned above, if my cravings go unsatisfied, in a moment of weakness I might fill the urge with a less healthy choice causing guilt and disgust. This morning, it really struck me how much I have transformed in only two and a half months. I want to keep walking forward.

Oh, so many people have mentioned green smoothies. It is so foreign to me as I have associated smoothies with fruit only. I must try this.

Thanks again,
shadow

Posted by: Mosaica ()
Date: August 19, 2007 03:34PM

Yes, you must try green smoothies! smiling smiley
Just try this one, you'll love it:
put some greens in the blender together with a ripe pear, water, a teaspoon of coconut oil and a tablespoon of soaked goji berries (or a soaked fig). I always add a tablespoon or two of hulled hemp seeds as well. Mmmm....! smiling smiley

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: August 19, 2007 05:27PM

I don't mind staying around 20% - 30% fat at all, as long as I get plenty of exercise. It feels quite comfortable, plus the nuts and seeds provide a lot of nutrition that otherwise is difficult to get, like calcium, selenium, iron, and vitamin E.

I don't feel any need to lower my fat percent. I'm at a good weight. I've struggled with food a lot in my life. Now I don't anymore, and I find that extremely liberating.

I try as much as possible to eat whole oil-rich foods as opposed to nut butters, although I do have a tiny bit of olive oil a couple of times a week.

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: August 19, 2007 10:39PM

It was really helpful for me to realize that I don't NEED much fat or concentrated protein. I was eating too much of both because I believed that I needed it.

Now I eat mostly juicy vegs, but will have as much fat or protein as I crave, and though I'm far from 10%, I believe with time, my body will want to refine my diet naturally - I don't want to force myself into someone's idea of 'the perfect diet'.

The people here who have long-term success with raw have allowed their diets to evolve with their needs and follow their body's signals while educating themselves about the foods available.

I'm really grateful to know about this site and all the great (and different!) people here - I've learned something from every participant.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables