Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

partaking of extracurricular health activities
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 20, 2007 03:03PM

do may of you longer term (or shorter term) folks partake in additional therapies and what not?

personally i try to have one decent massage a week either from a friend from the massage school or my sweetie..occaisionally see a chiropracter if needed

i regularly do self forms of hydro therapy (hot and cold water baths for arms/wrists after typing all day) .. turning the shower to cold at the end for a quick blast ..steam,sauna and whirlpool at the gym a once or twice a week time/$ permitting

yoga or tai chi daily for MENTAL and physical health .. along with meditation(most often sitting chopping my veggies reflecting on the day lol) or quietly laying in the dark in a warm (not hot) bath in the dark all sounds off

small bursts (10-15min) of sunbathing helps my moods weather permitting lol

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: partaking of extracurricular health activities
Posted by: azrael ()
Date: August 21, 2007 02:24AM

I sunbathe for about an hour 2-3 times a week
I do sauna/cold plunge repetitively a couple of hours each week.
Massages when I feel like splurging.
Warm sea salt baths very often.
Yoga a couple of times a week (although I'm not enrolled in a class currently).
Hiking 4-5 times a week.
Psychotherapy once a week.
Prayer/visualization daily.

I am short-term raw who will be long-term once enough time passes.

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: August 21, 2007 02:48AM

- I bike daily to and from work - 8 miles each way

- I go to the gym at least 4 days a week, sometimes I go more just to use the sauna!

- almost always sauna before and after workouts

- also biking across town on Sunday for my spirit fix...and to be among awesome folks

- I do self-masage/stretching /meditation in the evenings and mornings I don't have to work (this can go on for hours without ever getting up from bed)

- I do colon-hydrotherapy as needed... which is these days between 1-2 months.

- almost always use an infa-red sauna after hydrotherapy. (this is INTENSE)

- I don't take heated showers except in winter. occasionally a very hot/sweat bath.

- I try to do light fasting/juice fasting regularly but it doesn't always happen

- I keep a bunch of different journals that have ideas/goals etc...I keep a master list for the goals. I try to write down everything, but I don't get sentimental..all the old habits/ideas get tossed in the garbage can.

- I try to get out in the sun as much as possible, to get out in the rain (ions)...and to suck it up in the cold

it could be your thoughts...

[www.writerwriterwriter.com]
[www.lulu.com]

short and sweet....and DEEP

_____________________________________________________ ...and FREE

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2007 02:59AM by anaken.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 21, 2007 05:49AM

very cool .. why the infrared after hydro anaken? just courious? smiling smiley

i actually dont mind being out in the rain or cold either, i was one of the few in my hydro therapy class that enjoyed the cold baths lol tongue sticking out smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: August 21, 2007 11:23PM

its been explained to me a couple of times..this is the best I can paraphrase at the moment..and it might not be exactly accurate.

the infa-red gets down into deep toxins, this is augmented of course right after you are cleaned out and lots of gunk that wouldn't normally pass through the skin..does...afterwards you flood yourself with water and juices and everything is very clean...in the process more gunk probably gets tossed back in your colon..since whenever I do it I am lacking the whole euphoric "cleaned out" feeling.

heres what I know...

the sauna I'm in at they gym is 180 degrees. Sometimes takes me 20-30 minutes before I even break..and even then the sweat beads are very small

the infa-red is a smaller box with a circulating fan. I don't know the science behind what exactly is circulating but I know with some folks..before the thing even heats up,...they are pouring

with me if it is already well heated, i'm sweating with 10, and its like very large pools of sweat with a very different consistancy and in lots of odd/different places (with a regular sauna I seem to just bead on my chest, back, and legs to a certain extent). I get out and its like I went swimming...mind you when i'm getting a treatment i've already been fasting at least 24 hours, with little water day of.

[www.lulu.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2007 11:23PM by anaken.

Date: August 21, 2007 11:29PM

I have a good tolerance for very cold water (in the ocean I can stand it longer then most)

yet in extended cold temps/lots of rain...I have to remind myself it is OK...its kindof a dicipline! heh, so that is why I added it.

[www.lulu.com]

Posted by: Arkay ()
Date: September 04, 2007 08:52PM

The infrared sauna is like a terrifically bright light bulb, except you can't see the light with your eyes. It is basically the same kind of heat that you feel when you walk from shade into bright, direct sunlight (felt more strongly, the closer you get to the equator), because sunlight contains the full spectrum, including infrared. [Technically, the saunas use FAR infrared, not just infrared].

That light is so bright (and because of its wavelength), it can penetrate farther into the body than visible light, and deliver its heat energy. This causes a "deep" sweating, and a release of toxins stored in places like the fat cells under the skin.

The sweat triggered by infrared saunas contains measurably higher levels of various toxins than the sweat from other forms of sauna or from exercise. This is why it is a very good adjunct to any detox regimen.

Furthermore, by raising the temperature inside of the body, it affects enzyme activity, much like the healing action of a fever, but it is more localized.

I have a far infrared unit at home, and use it fairly regularly, as I feel the need. It helps a lot, although you CAN overdo it.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 04, 2007 10:21PM

i walk and walk and walk everywhere. everyone here has a car (auto manufacturing is the major industry here) and no one can get over my walking with the two kids for groceries and everything else. it seriously freaks them out, they are just boggled by it.
i chase kids around and roll on the floor with them.
i see the chiropractor, i love the chiropractor.
dry brush, lay on the mah-roller, stretch, bike, carry stuff. soon i'll actually start working out again, i've gotten flabby with this second kid (she's only 10 weeks old though!). just kinda soft all over, needs a bit of firming up!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables