Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw sweet potato ?
Posted by: rosemary ()
Date: April 18, 2006 02:51PM

Just 1 little question.
can I eat sweet potato raw?
Many thanks X

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw sweet potato ?
Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: April 18, 2006 04:21PM

well, I do! I juice them, or spiralslice them into pasta.
there are lots of recipes where you use them for mashed potatoes as well. Usually involve salt, cauliflower, olive oil, that kind of thing.

(-:

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: April 18, 2006 04:54PM

Yeah, I eat them grated in a salad quite a bit. They are completly unrelated to the other kind of potatoe which is not good to eat raw.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: Azura Skye ()
Date: April 18, 2006 05:00PM

I found them to be really powdery in texture, but I think in the right mixture they could be quite good.

Posted by: tamu ()
Date: April 18, 2006 06:31PM

i love them, they are a warming and building veggie, so good if you need a little more yang in your diet....I like to munch on them like apples!

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: April 18, 2006 11:39PM

I like 'em with a nut sauce: soaked cashews, lemon juice, a little water, some miso, garlic, and anything else you want to put in - soaked sun-dried tomatos, basil, any herbs, onion. Oooo. I'm getting hungry and it's the 4th day of a fast. I'm outta here!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 19, 2006 12:41AM

I just saw a recipe this afternoon using sweet potato:

Tastes like orange sherbert

I just had the most awesome juice mix:

1/4 pineapple
2 oranges
1 red (bloody?) tangerine
1/2 sweet potato

Chill in the refrigerator/freezer for about a half an hour.

I was SO afraid of juicing sweet potatoes, but it was a pleasant suprised.

It tastes like the melted, leftover orange sherbert that you drink once you have eaten the frozen part. It has the same consistency, too.

Yum! Enjoy!

(from Red Fizz who has a juice detox blog at curezone)

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 19, 2006 01:46AM

I love raw sweet potatoes! I make them into spagetti noodles with the Saladacco:

[store.therawdiet.com]

I combine them with red and golden beets for rainbow noodles and top it with a delicious sauce.

Mike

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: April 19, 2006 02:22AM

I just juiced my first sweet potato! Drank it mixed with some orange, carrot and apple juice, yummy. Although I noticed something strange, there was thick layer of very fine silt at the bottom of my juice jug. It's white and quite starchy. I think there might be some interesting uses for this, maybe it could be mixed with some fine crystal raw sugar and some mint oil/juice, then dehydrated until rock hard. Then we'll have some raw hard mint candy.

Thanks,
Ian.

Posted by: reuben ()
Date: April 19, 2006 05:12AM

whatcha did there was an imitation of what some natives do to inedible hard starchy roots to get something edible, grind them up and soak in water to leach out the starch, then use it like a flour. I think greenbriar roots was one.

Posted by: reuben ()
Date: April 19, 2006 06:03AM

i like sweet tater, generally, nice sliced for a good crunchy chip. i have noticed a lot of variation in quality, sometimes they just don't taste good.

Posted by: rosemary ()
Date: April 19, 2006 03:11PM

great gang. I won't be afraid to experiment with them! I am always hearing how nutritious they are, but i thought they were like regular potatoes in that they were a bit poisonous raw (?). I think I'll start with a soup...
many thanks X

Posted by: Asiris ()
Date: September 23, 2010 10:30PM

when i slice them sometimes i notice a milky gummy substance... like lettuce kinda how the heirloom types can have a milky white sap, by the stems i notice this... which commonly is a sign of being poisonous or toxic, as in the milky sap from plumerias...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2010 10:31PM by Asiris.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables