Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

HELP GETTING OFF REFINED SUGAR
Posted by: zspencer ()
Date: August 28, 2007 07:33PM

I'd welcome input from getting OFF all refined sugar!!! I have gone days without it, eating live foods, fruits and veggies, but then it hits me for Hershey kisses and chocolate Swiss rolls/twinkies.

What worked for YOU? How did you get through cravings? What other foods helps combat these old junk food cravings?

Thanks so very much!!!!!

Z

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: HELP GETTING OFF REFINED SUGAR
Posted by: life101 ()
Date: August 28, 2007 10:25PM

Hi, I used alot of natural sweetners/sweets. Raw Organic Honey, Dates, Raisins, Figs, etc. (No agave.) I no longer eat sugar. In fact, I cringe when I get near the baking aisle in the supermarket b/c I can smell the sugar through the bags. Also, when someone brings in cake, I can smell the sweet odor and it overwhelms me a bit.

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: August 28, 2007 11:50PM

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: August 29, 2007 12:34AM

yeah, the refined sugars and processed starches seem to be very difficult for most people to give up completely, yet knowing that doing so, without cheating, is THE big step to taking your health in the right direction (and probably along with dairy, should be the first to master before trying all-raw) should be some incentive.

try staying full on raw foods throughout the day, fruits and veggies. When you get home have a pact with yourself that whatever you eat you are going to prepare yourself be it a raw dish OR some more fruit and/or veggies OR some simple cooked food that is very filling and enjoyable after a large salad.

keep all the 'guilty pleasures' out of the house of course, and just shop in the produce section. If you are out somewhere and slip up, just laugh, and try again the next day.

it could be your thoughts...

[www.writerwriterwriter.com]
[www.lulu.com]

short and sweet....and DEEP

_____________________________________________________ ...and FREE

Posted by: dewey ()
Date: August 29, 2007 02:00AM

fruit and dates smiling smiley i was THE refined sugar addict...now i eat barely any.i just quit.period. i do slip though and today i had major cravings...but i resisted smiling smiley big feat for me
patty

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: August 29, 2007 02:22AM

Fruit and dates does it for me. The dates especially. Get big gooey juicy ones!

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: August 29, 2007 02:48AM

-Having an over-riding dream clear in your mind that necessitates eating something besides refined sugar.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: August 29, 2007 02:54AM

I have been raw for about 9 weeks now and I don't know how I did it..... When I started I was mostly concerned with the coffee and smoking. I was so focused on quiting drinking coffee that was all I thought of for three days. I had a headache for the first three days. I thought that was because of no cafeene. Than I decided to quit cold turkey on the smoking. I was concentrating on that for a while. I did'nt even realize that I had quit eating sweets. I just ate lots of fruit and had a little dates for that sweet tooth time but I did not eat to many dates. after several weeks I realized that I had quit the sugar and I had no thoughts about it because I was focusing on the other bad habits. For some reason I don't miss the snickers bars and other sweets. I think one of the things that helped me was wheat grass juice and rejuvelac. I think those two things help balance a system and wheat grass cleans a person on the inside. The rejuvelac helps balance the body.
One thing about people is their minds. We are able to set our minds on a goal and obtain it. We are strong and can obtain what we have decided to do. Its just geting our mind to the point of agreement.
I hope I was helpful

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: August 29, 2007 02:54AM

I agree with the previous posts about eating fruit. If you are craving sweets, you are not getting enough carbohydrates in your diet. On the raw diet, carbs come in the form of sweet fruit.

How much fruit should you eat in a day? Depends on the fruit. If you are eating ripe bananas, try eating 10 bananas a day, say 3-4 at each meal. If you still are craving sweets at the end of the day, try increasing a few bananas at a time until the cravings go away.

If you are eating less sweet fruits like nectarines or other stone fruit, you will need to eat more of those fruits, as they don't have as many carbs as a banana does. Typically it would be 2 oranges or 2 apples or 2 nectarines to have as many calories as a single banana.

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: August 29, 2007 03:49AM

pampam -

Wow! Congratulations and hats off to you. You must feel a whole lot better.

Posted by: inspirit ()
Date: August 29, 2007 04:01AM

Zspencer, could it really be the chocolate you are craving?

inspirit - aka coolkarma

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: August 29, 2007 10:47PM

I feel marvalous. I dont even miss the coffee or the cigs. that is so strange because I have quit cigs before but I was left with the desire to smoke. I think something very strange has happened to me to be able to just quit it all just like that.
I don't understand why I dont crave the sweets like I use to. My family still eat sweets and I can smell the sugar on the food they eat but I am so happy eating raw foods that I wouldnt want that gone. Why ruin a good thing by eating something saturated with sugar and whatever else the money grubbing manufactures put in it to make us crave more.
Really life is just to short for that kind of playing around, If you know what I mean.
Just set your mind for it you will obtain what you search for.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 30, 2007 09:36AM

I have the same problem (among many others) but I found out that I only want sugar when I haven't taken enough calories in a day.
Unfortunately eating many fruits doesn't work for me and mixing them in smoothies is even worse (let alone mixing them with vegetables) so finally, and after many months of veeery slow progress my body started accepting nuts and avocado (before I couldn't even smell them without getting sick) and the days I eat walnuts cake (walnuts-date for the crust, banana, apple, coconuts for the filling) for breakfast, the whole day goes much better and I don't even think about sugar. For lunch and dinner I also eat some fats.
I don't know if my body will change again and then I won't be able to eat nuts again, but for the moment, that is working for me.
I really envy those of you who are OK with smoothies, for instance.
Sometimes, I regret to have started this road, because I found out there is no coming back, but at the same time I see no light ahead...

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: August 30, 2007 12:41PM

Iris,

You might want to take your daily menu and put it into a nutritional calculator like fitday.com/nutridiary.com/nutritiondata.com to see what the ratio of your calories sources are (ie what are the percentages of fat, protein, and carbs in your current diet).

My guess is that you are probably eating a high fat diet, say as much as 80% fat or more. If you are indeed eating such a diet, and you keep it up, your health will fail and you will be forced to return to cooked foods.

See if you can bring your fat content down to 20% of your caloric intake. This ultimately means either eating more fruit, or eating some cooked carbs.

So many people are getting sick on the raw diet from eating too much fat.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables