Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Body Mass Index
Posted by: birdy ()
Date: August 28, 2007 11:52PM

Based on BMI = my weight should be around 121 - 160 lb.

How much do you weight and what do you think a person is ideal body weight should be?

What do raw foodists think about the BMI?

Who lives longer, thin or big people?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Body Mass Index
Posted by: anaken ()
Date: August 29, 2007 12:27AM

you should probably be..somewhere in the spectrum..ha!

but most people have tons of internal wastes that are contained in many cells of their body, so after cleaning out a bit, it is possible to be at a very low part of the spectrum and still look very fit/normal

Happy people!

it could be your thoughts...

[www.writerwriterwriter.com]
[www.lulu.com]

short and sweet....and DEEP

_____________________________________________________ ...and FREE

Posted by: shaine ()
Date: August 29, 2007 12:27AM

121 to 160 seems like a huge range.
my BMI says I should be no less than 105.
when I am 105, I have some (eek!)cellulite, and (gasp)fat around my bra.
I am most comfortable at 95-100 lbs, on 5'1"
my mother has been 5'2" and 98lbs her whole life.
I think that a real BMI test from a trainer or doctor would be more accurate than simply a chart. Those charts don't even account for gender, nevermind frame size.
I'd ask a doc, or get it done at your gym if you want to know.
I don't know about thin people, but people on a restricted calorie diet-CONSISTENTLY-are projected to live much longer.
I wonder what the longevity prediction is for a raw foodist?

measure twice, cut once.

"In Watermelon Sugar the deeds were done and done again as my life is done in watermelon sugar." ~r.brautigan

I make paintings

Posted by: chickory ()
Date: August 31, 2007 03:05PM

When I first went raw I dropped alot of weight quickly, BMI around 17- typical detox symptom. Although I intellectually understood it was detox, people's reaction- that I was sick, I was anorexic, got to me, and I ate alot- 8 meals a day, but was still skinny. After a year, lo and behold, I gained weight eating just 3-4 small meals a day. Now my BMI stays around 20.
It's hard to trust that the detox weight loss is okay, especially when you look emaciated and people think you're crazy, but it really does change.
Chickory

Posted by: cynthia ()
Date: August 31, 2007 04:13PM

chickory,
nice comment, thank you!!! what were your weight before going raw? Were you just normal size for your frame? I'd say I'm happy to learn that the pounds lost do come back!!! One year to wait seems a lot though...
all bliss to you
Cynthia

Posted by: brome ()
Date: August 31, 2007 07:31PM

BMI isn't mathematically sound. The volume (and hence the weight) of any object (when the proportions are kept exactly the same) will increase by the third power of its height (height x height x height). In the BMI however they only use a square of the height (height x height). The BMI, by this, is saying that short people should be rotund and tall people should be slim.

This formula matches the height and weight of many top athletes well( tennis, gymnasts, climbers, runners, track and field):

Ideal weight = 0.00043 x height x height x height

Surprisingly this works fairly well for both men and women. Some men will be somewhat heavier and some women will be somewhat lighter.

But why even worry about formulas? Just build up enough muscle to do the activities you like and keep enough fat off so that it doesn't slow you down.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2007 07:44PM by brome.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: August 31, 2007 08:01PM

The following page: [www.nhlbisupport.com]

-I do not vouch for the accuracy, but it lists any BMI under 18.5 to be underweight. At 5' 8" and 140 lbs (quite a feat....considering I used to be about 210), my BMI is listed as 21.3. According to such a measurement, I'm not even in underweight territory until 125 lbs! LOL. Personally, I like being about 135 or l40. Works for me! (I've got a 31 inch waist now).

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Ashcat ()
Date: August 31, 2007 09:31PM

I had the same experience as chickory last time I went raw. I dropped from 5'8 or so & 130 lbs (a BMI of 19.8, right in the range) to 112 lbs (BMI: 17, well underweight) in the course of 3 months. I never made it to the normalized stage, instead falling off the proverbial wagon out of concern (everyone thought I was anorexic, and frankly, my appearance started to scare me).

Right now I'm a month back into raw and have already dropped almost ten pounds. I'm trying to eat a lot (and incorporating some fat into every meal) to slow the process...but am a little nervous of running into the same problem again.

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: August 31, 2007 10:26PM

Yeah I don't know about that BMI calculator - I think Brome is right that it doesn't allow for petite people to have slim body types.

As for that "ideal weight" calculator - I think that doesn't take into account bone structure, muscle mass, or how exactly the weight is distributed. It says that at 5'2" my ideal weight should be 102, but for me actually 120 is ideal.... so, I say big wup what some chart says.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables