Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Bump in the road, how to detox?
Posted by: selenes512 ()
Date: August 29, 2007 09:02PM

I have been raw for a little while now and I'm doing absolutely great! I love it, and I am now no longer apetized in any way by SAD food. I have tried going raw many times, each time for a little longer than the time before, but this time I truly feel like the change has been internalized. Unfortunately yesterday I needed to get some oral surgery. I was put on antibiotics and painkillers (but I'm not taking the painkillers). My body is not happy with me. On top of the pills, I have been so afraid of throwing up from the medicine in my tummy (I have stitches in my mouth) that I have been eating some bread. Ug!

Anyways, my questions are these:

1)What is a good raw food that I could eat with the antibiotics to ensure that I dont throw up? I dont want to eat any more bread! Maybe almonds?

2)I will be done with my medication in a few days, what would be the best way to get my body back on track? I was feeling so wonderful before this...will just going back on raw be enough or should I cleanse? I know that antibiotics are hell on your digestion, whats the fastest way to right this situation?

Thanks all very much!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bump in the road, how to detox?
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 29, 2007 09:39PM

i think almonds would be a bit hard to do after oral surgery .. or any nuts unless you grind them into butter or make milk out of them ...

what about smoothies ? theres tons you can make just about anything you can think of smiling smiley

take pro-biotics to counter the anti-biotics thats all i can suggest for getting over that bit smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: August 30, 2007 01:06AM

The lighter you eat during your convalescence, the faster your body will heal. If you were healthy enough, you might not need to take any antibiotices, as the body is more than capable of fighting off bacteria.

After taking antibiotics, your flora in your digestive system might be a bit off. You might want to try taking some probiotics, or if you don't like that idea, just eat lightly until your digestion comes into full swing. This means don't eat nuts or other heavy foods, but focus on juicy fruits and salads without the fat.

Date: August 30, 2007 01:23AM

Okay, I have been eating mostly fruit these days anyways. I would rather not take the antibiotics, but I really dont want to test my body right now and risk infection.

I would also rather not take probiotics, just because I'm not one for supplements. Maybe I'll aim for a few days of all fruit once I'm off the pills and then just pick up where I left off.

For now I'll just stick to my itty bitty bites of melon until my mouth feels better, and I think I would rather risk throwing up than eat one more slice of bread.

Thanks!

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: August 30, 2007 06:46AM

Throwing up is just way for the body to purge itself. You'd probably feel better if you just let nature take its course and throw up.

Water with lemon in it often helps nausea (it cleanses the liver).

I agree with Bryan that the less you eat the better; and with his advice about probiotics. If you have rejuvelac or natural fermented foods like sauerkraut or kim chee that will help too.

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: August 30, 2007 06:53AM

selenes512 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would also rather not take probiotics, just
> because I'm not one for supplements. Maybe I'll
> aim for a few days of all fruit once I'm off the
> pills and then just pick up where I left off.
>

You mean you'd rather take antibiotics but eschew the probiotics because they're a supplement?

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: August 30, 2007 12:46PM

The probiotics are a convenient way to get the bacteria, but I agree that they are not necessary. Your bacteria will come back all by itself with healthy living practices and habits. In fact, a lot of people come to depend on the probiotics because their health habits are not healthful and rather than remove the cause of their problems, they choose to just "fix" the symptom, which really isn't any fix at all.

The real question is do you really need the antibiotics? You seem to think the answer is yes, but perhaps you ought to question that. Myself, I always avoided medications in my life even before I went raw because I did not like the way they made my body feel. But each person needs to make this personal decision for themselves.

Date: August 30, 2007 01:32PM

Do they automatically put people on antibiotics after surgery now? As a preventative measure?

Or did you have an existing infection ?

I'm curious because I haven't heard of automatically prescribing antibios, but maybe this is a new trend........?

Date: August 30, 2007 07:16PM

Yes they just put me on it automatically. I really wasnt very comfortable with that myself, but maybe its just because it is in my mouth?

I hope this isnt a new trend, doctors really need to practice more caution when prescribing antibiotics, not start dishing them out for everything. I can already tell the my digestion is upeset by it and also feel sapped of energy.

Date: August 30, 2007 08:15PM

I think my dentist mentioned something about the bacteria in mouths so maybe that's it.

When my kids had their wisdom teeth out, they were given homeopathic remedies, told the warning signs of infection and to go to emergency if necessary, for antibiotics.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables