Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

cafe gratitude=not raw
Posted by: greengrl ()
Date: September 04, 2007 06:32AM

they advertise a lot about keeping the enzymes, but I just got hired there and noticed the dehydrator set at 135 degrees. Isn't this way too high for enzymes? I feel betrayed;(

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cafe gratitude=not raw
Posted by: jadedshade ()
Date: September 04, 2007 08:27AM

Some products can be dried at a high air temp but the food itself never reaches that temp. You may want to enquire about it.

Phil.

--------------------------------------------------

"Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it" (Chinese Proverb)

Posted by: shaine ()
Date: September 04, 2007 10:12AM

speak up! I worked at a vegan/raw restaurant (Blossoming Lotus--very cool people) for a few months in Oregon. The dehydrators were set at 115--and did the job without compromising anyone's faith that the food coming out was still raw.

I know you just got hired, but maybe just question it politely?
then, if they don't change, stand up for a change. if they're raw themselves, they should get it...even if they THINK 135 can keep the food at 116.

luck

measure twice, cut once.

"In Watermelon Sugar the deeds were done and done again as my life is done in watermelon sugar." ~r.brautigan

I make paintings

Date: September 04, 2007 04:58PM

thanks for the feed back, I will definetly talk to them about it and see whats going on. people deserve to know whats going on with there 'raw' food especially when its so expensive!

Posted by: m ()
Date: September 04, 2007 05:09PM

i love cafe gratitude! however, they do not serve 100% raw foodstuffs. i have ordered raw entrees in the past (like the living chile rellenos) and they serve it with cooked quinoa or brown rice. that seems okay with me, because i can always avoid eating the cooked grains. but, if they are dehydrating their foods at >115, then i would be very displeased knowing that the "living" entree i ordered was, in essence, cooked!

please keep us updated greengrl!

love,
*m*

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: September 04, 2007 05:12PM

greengrl,

The real living foods are fresh fruits and vegetables. Dehydrated stuff isn't as alive as the fresh stuff.

That being said, in Rainbow Green Live-Food Cuisine, the chefs at Tree of Life Cafe says its OK (this is their opinion) to dehydrate your food for up to 3 hours at 145F, and then lower the temp down to 115, assuming that at the end of the 3 hours the foods is still moist and hasn't totally dehydrated. This is because as the food is sweating, it internal temp is under 20-25 degrees cooler than the outside temp. However, should the water all evaporate, the internal temps match the external temp.

But you have to really go by how the foods feels to you. Do you feel that eating the dehydrated stuff is as living as a fresh watermelon?

Date: September 04, 2007 08:19PM

actually I wasn't surprised when I saw them @ 135, because after most meals of heavy dehydrated nuts @ gratitude i feel extremely full and tired. Watermelons do me much bettersmiling smiley I still haven't asked them but I'll let ya'll know as soon as I do.

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: September 04, 2007 11:30PM

That explains a lot. I was just in Marin and ate at CG a few times. After the privation of Iowa it was totally wonderful to walk into a raw cafe, even if it wasn't all pure as I'd like. And even if it was expensive. But I didn't feel good after eating there and now I know why.

Bryan, I agree with you about the fresh fruits and veggies. As usual, you are a fountain of excellent information.

Posted by: morrisson66 ()
Date: September 05, 2007 02:29AM

Yeah Gabe Cousens quotes some research on this subject that the enzymes were still intact and Bryan I thought it was only 2 hours at 145. Anyway that may be it. I didn't find CG expensive at all compared to other raw places I've been too.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables