Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Liver Detoxing Raw Foods?
Posted by: tasha2003 ()
Date: September 07, 2007 04:29PM

Hi, Im am detoxing my liver and would like to know what raw foods are the BEST for detoxifying the liver on a daily basis?

I heard about beets and also carrots.

Suggestions?

Thank You

Natasha

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Liver Detoxing Raw Foods?
Posted by: superjuicer ()
Date: September 07, 2007 07:28PM

do a liver flush they are extremly cheap just need distilled water, epson salts, and virgin olive oil.

Posted by: pihourova ()
Date: September 07, 2007 08:00PM

superjuicer, can please give some more details, for example, the proportions of each of these ingredients, how often per day, how many days, etc?
\

also, what about adding garlic to this mix and oj? i think i heard of this somewhere but i could be mistaken.

thank you in advance

Posted by: sewraw ()
Date: September 07, 2007 10:56PM

If you are looking to liver detox there is a book called The Liver Cleansing Diet" by Sandra Cabot. I just got it from the library and have only skimmed it a little. It is not raw but I am sure if you take a look at it you will get some idea where to head with eating to cleanse the liver. She also gives a decent explanation of basic liver physiology. The book came recommended. I always suggest getting books from the library so I can check something out before I invest in it.

Superjuicer, I too am curious about the proportions of the ingredients you mentioned for the liver flush.

Patty

Date: September 07, 2007 11:49PM

Tasha2003, don't get the book. I will give you a brief synopsis of the "raw" foods recommended:

*carrots, pumpkins, bell peppers, beets because they contain phytochemicals which are antioxidants
*onions, garlic, cabbage, brussels sprouts, cauliflower because they contain high sulphur
*alfalfa, barley leaf, wheat grass (any dark green leafy vegetables) because of the chlorophyll boost
*raw juices of red/green cabbage, carrots, oranges, limes, applees, beets, red onion, ginger root
*Other: dill, caraway seed, cilantro, cumin, chli, cardamon, wasabi, horseradish, sesame seeds, watercress, basil, lemongrass, turmeric, fennel, fenugreek, ginger root, aniseed, chervil, green tea, parsley, celery seed and any cruciferous vegetables

I hope this helps. This is out of the book "The Liver Cleansing Diet."

Patty

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: September 08, 2007 12:29AM

I read that book by Sandra Cabot! I loved it! It was years ago before I did raw, and the reason I needed it was because I was going out, drinking & doing coke every weekend with my friends, and after about 6 months I started getting this weird upper body bloat, which I then researched and realized that my liver wasn't metabolizing fat properly due to my having overloaded it with toxins. That Sandra Cabot book detoxed my liver & made me look normal again, I was very thankful to have found it! (also I had been diagnosed with fatty liver at some point around that time)

One awesome liver supplement is Milk Thistle - it's a liver cleanser & protector - I still keep a bottle around for when I've been out drinking (though I don't do coke anymore! lol)

My favorite liver cleansing foods are cucumbers, peppers, baby carrots, and green juices.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2007 12:31AM by sunshine79.

Date: September 08, 2007 01:02AM

Fruits and vegetables are full of antioxidants and phytochemicals that neutralize harmful free radicals and reduce damage to cells. Dark green and red vegetables and fruits have detox power. Artichokes have cynarin found in its leaves, that stimulates bile secretion. That helps improve fat emulsification and digestion. Cruciferous vegetables, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, and cauliflower, are rich in glucosinolates, precursors to sulforaphane, a liver-friendly phytochemical that stimulates detoxification enzymes, helping to neutralize cancer-causing chemicals. Spinach contains alpha-lipoic acid, which increases production of glutathione, a compound that helps dissolve toxins and protect against cellular damage. Studies indicate that red-pigmented, lycopene-rich foods—such as tomatoes, papaya, and watermelon—improve liver health Add these 10 foods to your grocery cart and you'll get three terrific benefits:

1. Lots of super-healthy liquids to flush out the body while pouring in nutrients.

2. Fiber to keep your GI tract fit.

3. Foods that energize cleansing enzymes in the liver, your body's built-in detox center.
The top 10:

1. Green leafy vegetables. Eat them raw, throw them into a broth, add them to juices. Their chlorophyll helps swab out environmental toxins (heavy metals, pesticides) and is an all-round liver protector.
2. Lemons. You need to keep the fluids flowing to wash out the body and fresh lemonade is ideal. Its vitamin C - considered the detox vitamin - helps convert toxins into a water - soluble form that’s easily flushed away.
3. Watercress. Put a handful into salads, soups, and sandwiches. The peppery little green leaves have a diuretic effect that helps move things through your system. And cress is rich in minerals too.
4. Garlic. Add it to everything - salads, sauces, spreads. In addition to the bulb's cardio benefits, it activates liver enzymes that help filter out junk.
5. Green tea. This antioxidant-rich brew is one of the healthiest ways to get more fluids into your system. Bonus: It contains catechins, which speed up liver activity.
6. Broccoli sprouts. Get 'em at your health-food store. They pack 20 to 50 times more cancer-fighting, enzyme-stimulating activity into each bite than the grown-up vegetable.
7. Sesame seeds. They're credited with protecting liver cells from the damaging effects of alcohol and other chemicals. For a concentrated form, try tahini, the yummy sesame seed paste that’s a staple of Asian cooking.
8. Cabbage. There are two main types of detoxifying enzymes in the liver; this potent veggie helps activate both of them. Coleslaw, anyone?
9. Psyllium. A plant that’s rich in soluble fiber, like oat bran, but more versatile. It mops up toxins (cholesterol too) and helps clear them out. Stir powdered psyllium into juice to help cleanse your colon, or have psyllium-fortified Bran Buds for breakfast.
10. Fruits, fruits, fruits. They're full of almost all the good things above - vitamin C, fiber, nutritious fluids, and all kinds of antioxidants. Besides, nothing tastes better than a ripe mango, fresh berries, or a perfect pear.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2007 01:05AM by tasha2003.

Date: September 08, 2007 01:12AM

papaya (Clean colon)
watermelon (cleanse liver)
cantaloupe( clean kidney)

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: September 08, 2007 01:31AM

If you have a challenged liver, its best to not eat any fat until your liver feels better.

Posted by: rawnora ()
Date: September 08, 2007 02:58PM

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but there are no foods that clean the liver. The liver is a self-cleaning organ, like all the others. Eating foods that purport to clean the liver but are otherwise problematic (like many of the foods listed above) will not hasten the healing process.

The body heals as a unit. When the causes of disease are indulged, it forms in a person's weakest organs first. A person's weakest organs are determined by his or her inherited diathesis and are also influenced by the types of toxins that are regularly ingested by the person. If the person stops consuming toxins, the body will mete out its healing energies to those areas that are the most affected and are the most needed by the body. Only the body has the wisdom to determine in what order organs should be healed for maximum functionality of the entire organism.

Perhaps some of these foods that are claimed to have liver-healing benefits have components in them that have been found to cause the bodies of people with challenged livers to direct resources to the elimination of those substances, thereby suspending temporarily the symptoms that are associated (rightly or wrongly) with an affected liver. This is not healing, and the two should not be confused. This is the same way that herbs, drugs and all remedies work-- by causing the body to redirect its energies to removal of the substance.

Eat the foods that you like, like all the other animals on earth do. All you have to use your brain for is to limit your choices to raw fruits, vegetables, nuts or seeds. Remember, one of the important senses you can use to guide you is the way you feel after you eat a food. If you have symptoms, you will most likely feel them most when you're eating lots of nuts and seeds, as Bryan correctly notes.

Raw fooders are always talking about how they love and trust nature. How about we put our money where our mouth is and stop trying to micromanage something that's out of our hands. Our bodies are nature. They are wise beyond our ability to fully comprehend them. They know what they're doing. All we have to do is stop abusing them and they will perform miraculous healing feats.

Nora
www.RawSchool.com

Date: September 08, 2007 07:52PM

At first I didn't take the liver flush seriously, because it was mostly being promoted by random people on curezone that were anonomous behind internet nicknames. Curezone people tend to be very fanatical, and a lot of the people seem very fishy to me. However after looking at how Gabriel Cousons, Alisa Cohen, and Angela Stokes all liverflush I felt it was the real deal since it wasn't being promoted by some internet crazy person. So I did a bunch of them and I had stones come out. Don't get me wrong though there is some good info on curezone.

Basically the cheapest way to liverflush is drink ep salts mixed with purified water, wait 5 hours for a bowel movement. Your stool should be solid at first, and then turn liquid. DON"T EAT ANY FOOD THE ENTIRE DAYS OF THE FLUSH. Then all the fecal matter is out, then you drink 4 ozs of olive oil (I increase the dosage to 8 ozs to get more stones out personally). Wait 8 hours then drink ep salts again. Then 6-8 hours later the stones should start coming out. A lot of people use grapefruit juice mixed into the olive oil for flavoring. Some people drink gallons of apple juice 3 days in advance to get more stones out before they do the flush.

Or you could try dissolving the stones, but you'll never know if you got all the stones unless you do a bunch of flushes. I've had fullbody catscans done on myself, and it detected no stones so the only way to know if you have them is to basically flush. It's really cheap only 4 bucks for ep salts, 7 bucks for olive oil, and the water is free. There are a lot of other flushes that are more effective I guess, but they are WAY MORE EXPENSIVE. I would rather just spend 11 bucks and do multiple cheap flushes then expensive ones that take forever.

Liver flush Article
[www.alivewithgabriel.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2007 07:56PM by superjuicer.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: September 08, 2007 08:16PM

Eating Epsom salt is not a good idea. Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) is a cathartic (laxative), regulated by FDA as a medication or drug, not as a food ingredient. Possible side effects or hazards from ingestion of Epsom Salt include nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramps and diarrhea.

Taking that much olive oil is really going to tax your liver. Is this how you want to treat your body, loading it up with a substance that going to make your body work like crazy to remove it?

If you really want to give your liver a break, quit eating fat and quit drinking alcohol. Don't ingest things that are toxic (like epsom salt) that just make your liver work overtime to remove these poisonous substances.

By the way, the little stones that come out of these flushes are just saponified fat, the combination of olive oil, the acid your drink (citrus juice) and your own bile. They are not gallstones. Put one of these little stone in the sun, and you'll see that they melt.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 08, 2007 09:07PM

nora "Our bodies are nature. They are wise beyond our ability to fully comprehend them. They know what they're doing. All we have to do is stop abusing them and they will perform miraculous healing feats."
beautiful

brian " the little stones that come out of these flushes are just saponified fat, the combination of olive oil, the acid your drink (citrus juice) and your own bile."
right on. debunk the myths.

the liver is an INCREDIBLE organ. the only help it needs from you is to stop loading it up with crap. that's it, that's all. don't try to help it any more than that, you just get in it's way.

Date: September 08, 2007 09:13PM

The detox recipe that superjuicer wrote about is almost identical (if not completely identical) to that recommended by Hulda Clark in her book "The Cure for All Diseases." Coincidentally I had just gotten the book to take a look at it and was going to start a message asking if anyone had heard of her and what were their thoughts. This detox she recommends doing twice a year and she gives rather explicit directions as to how to go about it even describing the (mostly noncalcified) stones you will see.

I don't know if I agree with it. It does seem a little harsh but again she recommends this only twice a year.

Patty

Date: September 08, 2007 10:10PM

There is actually a big debate on the whole liver flush thing. Some think it works others think that all supplements are bad everything that is not fresh natural, and organic is evil. I do not consider consider it a myth, but at least read both arguments before you decide. I felt better after doing the flushes for myself. I think stokes, Cohen, and Cousons are right. If you don't want to do the supposedly "harsh" cheap methods then just do the more expensive ones I guess or just fast and rawfood diet only like the natural only crowd.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2007 10:17PM by superjuicer.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables