Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

(Over)weight raw/vegans do exist?
Posted by: ErikSkulasonUSA ()
Date: September 08, 2007 11:53PM

Not meant to be rude or offending anyone, just statistical question.

We know, so many people encounter problems being overweight or obese.

Rephrasing my question:

Does anyone know if this problem still exist for (raw)vegans?

Just honest answers expected - they don't have to point fingers and they don't have to sound like: "I am vegetarian and I am still overweighted". Nobody has to expose him/her self or other ppl.

I believe the answers to this question will provide a good statistic information for the readers willing to consider to eat healthier.

Thank you

Pls. excuse my English - foreigner.

=============================================================
Medicine, Food Industry and Commerce are businesses.
Is their goal to make/keep me healthy or to make more profit?
=============================================================

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: (Over)weight raw/vegans do exist?
Posted by: life101 ()
Date: September 09, 2007 12:12AM

Depends on your definition of overweight. If you're like Dr. Graham, he gauges by BMI (Body Mass Index) and he figures that 20% is overweight for a female.

I'm not 100% raw vegan but I still consider myself on the heavy side even though I wear a size 2P (Petite). Also, have you seen some of the raw people that say they are 100% but yet chunky? I believe with any eating regimen, one can be overweight. It all depends on the quantity eaten, especially if they are fat calories, and the level of physical activity. Also, raw does not mean that one is in great physical shape, either. Raw is not a cure-all but it comes pretty close.

Regards,
Therese

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: September 09, 2007 02:56AM

life101 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I'm not 100% raw vegan but I still consider myself
> on the heavy side even though I wear a size 2P
> (Petite).

I'm like this - still carry about 5 lbs water weight, though I am a 2P, and am not 100%raw.

I know the weight will go when, as RawNora described, it comes up in my body's healing protocol - I haven't been raw long enough (only 8 months) for all my internal, invisible healing to occur.

Posted by: smilebig ()
Date: September 09, 2007 03:42AM

I attended the Raw and Living Spirit Retreat in Oregon this weekend, and I was surprised at the percentage of presenters that were overweight or chunky.

What kind of message do you feel this sends?

Date: September 09, 2007 03:59AM

Hmmm....were they eating lots of fat?

Or maybe like me, their bodies are working on it?

But I hope people don't see raw as a crash diet....I guess they equate raw diet with salads - the icon of diet food.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: September 09, 2007 04:20AM

Many people who teach about raw foods are not yet 100% raw themselves. And there are others, who eat a high fat raw vegan diet.

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: September 09, 2007 04:23AM

I've been raw for ages and I've consistently been chunky-- not fat, but definitely pear shaped and a bit overweight-- the whole time. I'm pretty strict with myself and really try to stay 100% raw vegan except for rare slip-ups. Maybe my chunkiness is partly related to having had my appendix removed when I was around 10 (Harvey and Marilyn Diamond and Norman Walker observed that appendectomies cause bloating and weight retention.)

Anyway, I don't care too much. I'm healthy, and being a little overweight keeps me on my toes-- I can't go and eat a lot of junk, because I gain weight really easily.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: shaine ()
Date: September 09, 2007 12:15PM

I worked at the Blossoming Lotus in Portland Oregon for a little while (vegan + raw options restaurant). Great People. But half of them were overweight. And only two or three were the glowing toned image I'd have expected of the lifestyle. we made raw fudge, raw pies, raw iceKream, raw cookies, nut pates, oily guac, etc. If I were living on those foods? Add in the sugar of some mango and pinneapple? yeah, well you know what I'd be. In fact, I did sort of live on these foods, though I was not raw--I was still eating the tofu and tempeh dishes, smothered in nut cheese and cashew mayo etc. I was not overweight, but going toward it.

Even this summer, I saw my pants get tighter and my face fill out a bit. I was close to 100% raw. But I was indiscriminate about going out for raw meals, or having piles of nuts on hand (then in stomach soon thereafter). I expect my weight may have stabilized, but at a higher body-fat than seemed comfortable for me.

so yes. without some will, some people would easily become overweight.

measure twice, cut once.

"In Watermelon Sugar the deeds were done and done again as my life is done in watermelon sugar." ~r.brautigan

I make paintings

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: September 09, 2007 02:24PM

shaine

i like your watermelon signature quote
i have no idea what it means
but then again, that's probably why i like it so smiling smiley

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: September 09, 2007 02:26PM

In my experience, those that eat a 100% fresh fruit and vegetable diet....with only small seeds..will stablize at a slim weight. My experience was that I was consistently large (5'8" and 205 lbs) for quite a while. But after 2 years of transitioning to the the diet described above.....I had no problems maintaining a slim weight (140).

So: What many people consider as 100% raw (Processed oils, salts, and other processed, mixed and fatty complex foods) will allow them to still be overweight.
Just my opinions.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Arkay ()
Date: September 09, 2007 05:32PM

Vegans can easily be overweight, if they eat a lot of grains (which are very fattening), or foods that they are alllergic to/intolerant of.

If someone is only "substantially" raw vegan, consider carefully what else they are eating. Those banana splits they sneak out to indulge in every other day add up! Non-completely-raw vegans who eat processed foods (which may contain additives like high-fructose corn syrup, which is extremely fattening) can easily be fat.

Similarly, if a person is EATING all raw, vegan foods but washing them down with soft drinks (even --no, especially!-- the "diet" kinds) then they can become quite fat; those drinks are extremely fattening.

Even pure raw vegans can be overweight, if their diet consists substantially of higher-fat, higher-calorie foods like avocados, olives,and nuts, or if they slather too much oil-based dressing on all their daily salads, or eat a lot of sweet or high-glycemic foods like dates or potatoes...

...and especially if they never exercise! Exercise is a MUST for normalization of the "appestat" and of bodyweight, and of health in general. A human who does not get enough exercise simply cannot be really "fit", no matter what they ear. That said, on an appropriate mostly-raw diet, one will naturally crave appropriate levels of exercise, as one heals and becomes healthy, so this shouldn't usually remnain a long-term problem, IF (a big IF!) the diet is correct.

If someone has only been a raw vegan for a relatively short time, they may still be carrying weight from before they made the change. Some fat-weight is carrying substantial stored amounts of fat-soluble toxins, and the body will not release that fat too qwuickly, to protect itself against excessive levels of toxicity in the blood.

If someone is under a lot of stress, they will find it much more difficult to lose weight - stress is actually fattening!

If, on the other hand, a person's diet is primarily high-water-content, relatively low-fat whole, raw foods like leafy greens and salad veggies (without the heavy dressings) and they are getting moderate daily exercise, it is almost impossible for them to remain over=fat, as the act of digesting these foods requires more calories than one actually obtains from the foods themselves. This constant drain on caloric reserves will take off the pounds! There is a list floating around the internet of 100 natural (raw, nutrient-dense, as it happens) foods that are "negative calorie" like that,if you are interested. Eating only or mostly those foods is one of the fastest ways there is to lose weight ... although you may feel a little short of energy during that time, so I would recommend adding SOME other foods to balance and slow the process.

How foods are combined with each other makes a difference, too. [Too complex to go into here, but check out food-combining books for details.]

More than any other single thing, the liver ultimately determines the rate of fat deposition in the body, so liver health and liver function are important here. Other factors such as genetic fat distribution also affect how quickly or easily someone will or won't shed fat. Thyroid function also plays a role (in either overweight or underweight, depending on whether the thyroid is over- or under-active); adding seaweed and coconut to the diet may help normalize thyroid function for someone with this problem.

Hope this helps answer your question.

Posted by: love ()
Date: September 09, 2007 11:09PM

shaine, what were the 2-3 glowing toned people eating? Were they positive people?

Thank you for your kindness!

love

Posted by: shaine ()
Date: September 10, 2007 12:54AM

la veronique--
the quote is from my favorite book/author "in watermelon sugar"/by richard brautigan

love--
There was a girl, who was the daughter of the owner. She was vegan with a good amount of raw. She had been raised vegan since birth. She was fairly shy, but always so kind

The guy I'm thinking of was just plain vegan, but rode his bike everywhere. Always helpful, never too busy or too tired or too late...

measure twice, cut once.

"In Watermelon Sugar the deeds were done and done again as my life is done in watermelon sugar." ~r.brautigan

I make paintings

Date: September 10, 2007 02:33AM

shaine, those two were the glowing toned people? I think it has to do with what's inside meaning emotions, feelings, vibrations, thoughts, etc. too! A holistic approach. That's why I asked. Thank you for your kindness!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 10, 2007 04:28AM

"The guy I'm thinking of was just plain vegan, but rode his bike everywhere. Always helpful, never too busy or too tired or too late..."

i like that, he was never too late to stop and be helpful. with little in school and a tiny baby in arms i feel like i'm forever too late these days. le sigh. "this too shall pass", as my mama often says.

i have a friend, let's call him tarzan, who has been raw for as long as i've known him and i mean RAW vegan, no junky raw food, no cooked. he's amazing, a total powerhouse of energy, he can fast for days on end, eat barely anything at all, i think he exists on air and E3live sometimes. and he's chunky and always has been. i mean, solid muscle but a layer of squishy here and there too. freaks me out. no matter how much i eat or what i'm slim, sometimes skinny. i have "hollow-leg, hole-in-foot" syndrome.

Posted by: rawnoggin ()
Date: September 10, 2007 07:55AM

what made me go raw vegan from vegan was my health.

I was slim (a UK size 6/8 petite) until a horrible, stressful time where I ended up drinking gallons of sugary, caffeine-y drinks. I had no time to exercise (to the point where I never left the house some days!), was eating a lot of indian/chinese takeaways (vegan) for convenience. Eventually, all the fat and sugar caught up with me, I put on a lot of weight and felt awful.

Since going raw vegan a few months back, I've lost well over a stone and look and feel very good with minimal effort!

I believe that being vegan in any form (cooked/raw/high raw etc) allows you to naturally stay in good shape than any other 'diet'- but only if you remember to put the 'veg' into vegan ;-)

I think I could possibly become overweight on raw food because of how much I love nuts- BUT, I think it would be about a million times easier for me to become overweight by having access to dairy and meat, raw or not. Also, my body has started to say 'no' to my excesses like nuts and dates and dehydrated things, and I've started to listen ;-)

Date: September 10, 2007 12:58PM

i have "hollow-leg, hole-in-foot" syndrome.

coco, what is hole-in-foot ??

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 10, 2007 01:47PM

it means all the food fills up my hollow leg and falls out the hole in my foot! it's a joke my family made up to explain why i could always eat whatever i wanted and never gain any weight grinning smiley

Date: September 10, 2007 01:49PM

LUCK-EEE DUCK!

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: September 10, 2007 03:19PM

with a sponge that is very dirty, one has to wring and wring it in order to be free of excess wastes/weight

the body prioritizes getting rid of any stored toxins (being diluted in water weight and fats) before getting to the deep cleansing and the healing of internal organs, which in some cases will cyclically result in retaining more wastes.

people that are holding on to excess weight are holding on to excess wastes, which makes it no mystery why any 'gurus' or folks who are overweight (by true health standards not the medical establishment) will make claims against alternate approaches to their own..especially the ones that dig up deep symptoms and cleansing, like mono-eating, removing salt, 'essential oils'..etc...

eating excessive fats, or complex meals will not make someone fat per se...

someone who is not all that clean internally, eating these foods in excess may be adding weight by stopping their detox almost entirely, and potentially accumulating MORE wastes.

back to the sponge...the person that is very clean, after stopping all wastes being absorbed (including products on the skin, and minimizing exposure to less then pure water and air (this one isn't as essential in my experience) and refraining from eating complex/indigestible meals) and continues eating a lighter fare/getting rest/having emotional poise etc...WILL over time help to wring out the sponge. Some might have to result to internal cleansing practices to make this happen, otherwise even with the most simple and cleansing diet the body will settle at a point in homeostasis in which it feels 'fine' to hold on to excess wastes (this IMO is NOT ok long term) and seems to lead to anger/irritability and eventual breakdown/disease.

after that sponge is clean, consuming/absorbing dense complex meals, overtly toxic substances, chemicals, salts etc...even in the 'raw' state, would immediately 'dirty' the sponge creating very visible symptoms (keeping the analogy, a very dirty sponge would show minimal effects qhwn these things are absorbed).

the clean sponge returns to its natural form..not being clogged with dirt; it can expand to its natural state

therefore it is impossible for someone who is very clean internally to become overweight on a raw diet..without re-toxifying their system, which would in turn be a very uncomfortable process. So if someone has visible weight/and anything but very minimal body fat, the likelihood is that they have never done any deep cleansing. Not that these folks don't have some valuable stuff. I like DW and yet he is very puffy, walking the walk of his salt talk.

just my thoughts.

[www.writerwriterwriter.com]
[www.lulu.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2007 03:21PM by anaken.

Posted by: bronwynsun ()
Date: September 10, 2007 10:10PM

Eating all raw/all natural foods, all vegan...fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, even avos. I think this is what constitutes a healthful diet. I agree that you don't want to go too crazy on the fats, but I firmly believe that these foods exist in nature for us to enjoy. I agree with the way the writer of 'The Raw Detox Diet' put it, saying that a beautiful, healthy, strong body is our birthright, as are pleasurable eating experiences.

I feel that fats are totally ok in moderation...I believe that people who are eating full raw and hardly any fat and aren't losing their weight are not losing weight because they're only doing half of what's right. Our bodies are designed to MOVE. RUN, JUMP, use muscles. I don't believe your body is ABLE to stabilise at a healthy weight and composition if you aren't eating well and MOVING. Hitting the gym is fine, but even better is incorporating excercise into your everyday life, as animals naturally do.

I personally train physically for a living, so I am biased in what I'm saying...but I can fully understand why people are cutting out all foods that aren't purely water-based and sitting/standing around all day and not getting the results they want.

I eat an avocado almost every day, as well as usually some almonds, or sesame, flax, or hemp. I have energy to work out all day long. I am toned and strong.

i hope this makes sense, i really feel very strongly that to look your best, you have to be eating well and making your body work.

Posted by: dream earth ()
Date: September 11, 2007 12:11AM

...Actually yes, I once lost over one hundred pounds by simply changing my diet and often never even moving enough to leave the house for months at a time. "Exercise" has little to nothing to do with weight loss.

But another factor other than a mechanical view of eating that no one else has brought up is the emotional factor. Some people's bodies hold onto weight and/or a need to eat heavy raw foods (or remain unable to access the bodies natural hunger/full mechanism and therefore overeat instead) on account of the great amounts of emotional pain stored in the body that isn't being addressed or remedied. Sometimes this is helped by abusive relationships which, even if the person appears to have "changed" are putting great stress on the body because it will always know what was done to it and by who. If the individuals real needs aren't being met; or if they were ignored and given instead hatred and fear from birth, full health isn't going to come even with raw veganism, though the person will still be healthiest as far as "diet" goes, if their damaged body allows them to stay on it without being plagued by fear and paranoia and thoughts that they might be happier with chemical manipulation (junk foods, "traditional diet" toxins, etc.)

Date: September 11, 2007 12:42AM

Absolutely!

Not just weight, but illnesses and weaknesses and coping mechanisms and behaviours.

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: September 11, 2007 12:53AM

hah, well not all the tools might be necessary in all cases to restore health, but certainly 'moving about' seems pretty high on the list IMO

like my sponge metaphor...if its doesn't get any activity..i'm sure there will be some kind of mold and wretched stench eventually. LOL

it could be your thoughts...

[www.writerwriterwriter.com]
[www.lulu.com]

short and sweet....and DEEP

_____________________________________________________ ...and FREE

Posted by: mrdc ()
Date: September 12, 2007 04:46AM

back when i was a trainer, we were taught weight was an issue that was 80% diet and 20% exercise. in my experience, that is pretty much correct.

however when i eat raw fruits and veggies ONLY, i can exercise VERY little and my body responds by being VERY light and trim.

i have to stress that that occurs when i eat ONLY fruit and veggies.

love
dc

Date: September 12, 2007 08:59PM

I've heard the same 80% food, 20% exercise too! Does it make you wonder when you see people in the Gym working there butt's off and they never change...

Love and light!

love

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2007 09:00PM by love.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: September 13, 2007 01:03AM

Yes, if you rely too much on juice and/or eat too much fat, you can still be overweight. Exercise or not.

But if you are eating only whole raw foods and not too much concentrated fat it's not very likely that you will be fat in the long term because your belly will get full before you do too much "damage".

30g of brazil nuts which I could eat in less than 5 minutes has about 200 kcal. But it would take about 3 hr of walking to burn that off.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables