Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

I can't sleep at night--suggestions for food?
Posted by: dude ()
Date: September 10, 2007 03:49PM

Hi guys, I quit eating fried food 3 days ago, so it hasn't been a long time. I now rely on vegetables and sometimes boiled food (like broccoli or potatos).

The problem is I cannot fall asleep now that I eat non-fried food. Maybe it's my food. Yesterday, for dinner, I ate: 2 tomatos, some cucumber, lettice, some boiled broccoli & potatos.
Then at night, half an hour before going to bed, I ate 1 tomato, some cantaloup, and some lettice. I could not fall asleep until 3 a.m. This is frustrating, but at the same time I want to keep my health. I will give details of my situation later when I succeed but here it is in short: I took some medication, got side effects like joint pain, and vision pain. For the past 3 days that I have not eaten fried food & the pain has stopped! The pain has reduced a lot and I have had tears of joy. Can you believe it? It's that fast and I am loving it because the pain was so intense that I would give up my life to end it.

Can anyone give me suggestions on what to eat at night so that I don't feel hungry when I go to bed and have a good night of sleep. I am a university student so I need to sleep well before going to school.

Thank you very much for any kind suggestions.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I can't sleep at night--suggestions for food?
Posted by: ferg ()
Date: September 10, 2007 04:01PM

Hi Dude!

Sorry to hear about your sleeping troubles; I have them too at times.

I eat bananas before I go to bed... for some reason, they always help me get to sleep (eat as many as you need to so that your tummy feels satisfied).

Good luck on your raw journey... it is amazing what raw food can cure!

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: September 10, 2007 04:34PM

I agree with the banana thing, if I'm hungry at bedtime I'll eat some ripe bananas and they don't stop me from sleeping.

Also, have you tried some herbal teas such as chamomile or ashwagandha?

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: learningtofly ()
Date: September 10, 2007 04:36PM

I highly recommend eating a large salad with plenty of raw fats (avocado, soaked nuts and seeds) in the evening to make you tired and sleepy.

Raw fats are very helpful in transitioning away from the heavier cooked foods.

Good luck.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2007 04:39PM by learningtofly.

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: September 10, 2007 04:38PM

sleeping problems often correspond to physical stuff (substances in the blood stream) and psychological stuff (inability to be 'still' with oneself)

when someone implements healthier practices...they're going to feel alot of energy freed up simply from not processing all the crap..this is NOT healing. Healing takes place once those energies are then transmitted back internally. making one feel NOT so great.

my first few months raw I slept very little and felt fantastic, (this was even after a long transitional very simple vegan diet). When I cut out ALL the crap, I had to basically sleep up to 14 hour days for a long time trickling down to 9-10 at 6 months or so. now I function fine on whatever, but 8-9 is where it is at, sometimes much more if very physically active.

Since you are in school, and just starting your transition, I would take things very slowly, and set very small expectations. Eating anything - raw or not- late is never a good idea. Your body honestly cannot handle it, and in fact, many people can improve their health just by implementing this practice alone.

although this in itself (say eating your last meal at 6 or 7pm) -like all healthful things- will free up the same kinds of uncomfortable energies..This is where the psychological/emotional component comes in. Being very comfortable with oneself, and laying down to rest at a reasonable time/not stressing about 'what to do' or being uncomfortable with the thoughts that arise without external sensory input, without the 'gift' of unconsciousness (sleep)...is really where it is at..IMO

cutting out any stimulating foods, while keeping in some steamed/cooked dense foods, should necessitate more rest soon enough.

[www.writerwriterwriter.com]
[www.lulu.com]

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: September 10, 2007 05:08PM

I agree with Learningtofly. A big salad...with nuts...avocado.....garlic......all of these things are heavier and require greater digestive power.

-Keep in mind that you are still early in the process. You are used to large toxic loads triggering your body going into shutdown/sleep mode. Without that stimulus....you will have to divert your extra energy into daily exercise and other wholesome activities....or you'll be up all night! smiling smiley

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: dude ()
Date: September 11, 2007 12:29PM

Well, yesterday I ate just a little fried food, and lots of raw/boiled food (this was at 5:30 p.m.).

Ok,the last time I ate anything was 9:15 p.m.(no fried food here, just boiled potato, some peeled carrots, and a banana) and I went to bed at 11:20. I was at school until 5:00 p.m. so I was a bit tired, and as a result I fell asleep fast once I was in bed.

The bad news is I got really bad nightmares. When I woke up in the morning I was so hungry and still feeling the nightmares. They were awful! I had to take deep breaths. I just can't believe it though. Does it have to be this bad? I guess there is no 'free lunch' here.
I will not go back to stupid fried foods like I used to do because my eyes no longer feel any pain. You see when I ate fried food in the past (70% of my food was fried) my eyes would hurt & I could not read a book for more than 25 minutes in a row. I couldn't watch computer monitor for 20 minutes without pain. But now, I can read for so long, and go on the computer for hours without eye pain.

I want to keep things this way, but I guess I will sleep in horror every night or so. sad smiley

Posted by: Custom ()
Date: September 11, 2007 02:08PM

Dude... you mentioned eating a small amount of fried foods the evening before your restless nightmarish night of bad dreams. I can attest that when I deviate off raw and eat something cooked, or eat a grain product such as bread or say cooked food that has been breaded that I have terrible nightmares.

I attribute this to the cooked food not the raw food. When I eat entirely raw I fall asleep quickly and sleep most often all the way through the night. This is coming from someone who had terrible insomnia for years.

Just my thoughts on the subject...

Custom

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: September 11, 2007 03:12PM

Passion fruit is wonderful for helping with sleep.

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: September 11, 2007 06:57PM

Sounds like bad food combining

Melon should be eaten alone. I made the same mistake one night and ended up awake for 4 hours in agony..

best not to have melon at night.. always causes havoc!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables