Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

What do you do with the BUGS in your GREENS?
Posted by: nik ()
Date: September 11, 2007 01:31AM

I want to eat more greens, but I can't figure out what to do with all the live bugs on all of them. I don't like to purposely kill or eat live bugs. I always usher them out of my house, and am even so obsessed as to search and rescue them out of my tub before turning on the water.

So, even though I've been wanting to eat greens for so long, every single time I look at them I see the little guys. Usually not crawling because they are cold from the refrigeration, but they are alive. Some of the greens are infested with hundreds of them or a bunch of eggs and other ones there are less of them. The point is that I would have to examine closly each and every leaf before I eat it. And then when I find them, what do I do with them? I would have to somehow relocate each and everyone to the grass or dirt which would be very time consuming. Not only that, but once I do see them I get even more paranoid about the possibility of accidentally eating them alive and just get turned off completely from eating that food. So, I always end up just choosing something else easier to eat and clean like fruit, cucumbers, tomatoes, or other food. I feel like it limits me, and at the same time it really kind of frustrates me that I am the only one who has this problem with eating the little guys crawling around. That I am the only one I know who thinks about it. I see and watch all of my friends and family eat their beautiful mixed baby green salads and other green salads and I feel envious, and at the same time I just can't bring myself to do it.... HELP!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What do you do with the BUGS in your GREENS?
Posted by: anaken ()
Date: September 11, 2007 01:44AM

don't reincarnate as a monkey!

that would really be bad.

it could be your thoughts...

[www.writerwriterwriter.com]
[www.lulu.com]

short and sweet....and DEEP

_____________________________________________________ ...and FREE

Posted by: dream earth ()
Date: September 11, 2007 01:50AM

Herbs, like dill, spearmint, and dandelion usually don't have bugs on them like commercial kale does; you can blend them into green smoothies.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: September 11, 2007 04:52AM

if you have a house set up a plastic tub outdoors .. float your greens in it for a minute thats all you need then dump the tub bugs and all onto the lawn .. theyll dry out and carry on winking smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: nik ()
Date: September 11, 2007 10:08PM

Thanks Dream Earth. That's what I did seem to notice with the dandelion. I love cilantro, chives, and other herbs. Maybe it is because of how strong and healthy the dandelion is, or maybe it has natural pesticide chemicals in it that deter insects? I would like big salads with lettuce, chard, collards, kale and everything. But I guess I will just stick to the herbs and weeds and grasses to get the greens in.

Anaken, I'm sure if I was a monkey I would not even think about it. I'm sure it's just my mind and OCD and social conditioning and everything. Yet, being so, I just can't seem to bring myself to do it....

Thanks for the idea Jodi. I don't have a plastic tub. They don't drown in the water? Is there a way to do it in a large mixing bowl? Do you need a certain temp. water or other ingredients to get them to let go and get completely off the plant? Stealing their food....

But, what does everyone else here think and do with them?

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: September 11, 2007 10:26PM

nik Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But, what does everyone else here think and do
> with them?

I eat them.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: Suzie ()
Date: September 11, 2007 10:31PM

Funky Rob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> nik Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > But, what does everyone else here think and do
> > with them?
>
> I eat them.
>
> Rob

Haha, that made me laugh. But he/she asked, right?!

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: September 11, 2007 11:33PM

they'll drown yes if you leave them in there just give everything a quick rinse then toss out the mixing bowl outside or use it to water your plants .. they'll dry off quickly enough .. i mean im talking a few seconds here ..smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables