Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

A Raw Pregnancy..
Posted by: zapple ()
Date: September 11, 2007 01:14PM

Just two days ago I found out I was pregnant. Surprising, of course. I am 19 years old and have been raw for nearly 9 months now (how ironic!) Haha. Any advice as to how to tailor my diet to be optimal for my little one would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you muchly smiling smiley

-zapple

"As if you could kill time without injuring eternity.." - Thoreau

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A Raw Pregnancy..
Posted by: rawnoggin ()
Date: September 11, 2007 02:16PM

Have you read shazzies articles over at shazzie.com? She speaks a lot about being a raw mum, though it seems to be more about after the pregnancy rather than during. There's a raw vegan radio show with her on talking about it (maybe someone will have a link?).

For nutrition, there are quite a few standard vegan books on the subject (they're not raw-based, but you could adapt). i.e. vegan society sell this one: [www.vegansociety.com]

Good luck! You look very radiant in your pic smiling smiley

Posted by: frances ()
Date: September 11, 2007 02:29PM

The Shazzie podcast file is here: [rawveganradio.podomatic.com]

I haven't listened to it, though.

Posted by: rawnoggin ()
Date: September 11, 2007 04:12PM

ahhh, you're a star smiling smiley

Posted by: Suzie ()
Date: September 11, 2007 11:00PM

Posted by: smilebig ()
Date: September 11, 2007 11:47PM

I second Suzie's recommendation of visiting www.gardendiet.com

Jinje has an e-book on raw pregnancy.

Posted by: dewey ()
Date: September 13, 2007 02:24AM

zapple Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just two days ago I found out I was pregnant.

congrats! smiling smiley
patty

Posted by: tropical ()
Date: September 13, 2007 05:20PM

Congrats! Your baby is so lucky that you are eating well and you're lucky because you aren't going to get really fat!

Posted by: moxiegretl ()
Date: September 13, 2007 08:17PM

Congrats!

Just remember that whatever you eat, the baby eats, especially if/when you are nursing! I think its easy to forget that when you are nursing! So be wary of some foods that might upset their digestive system. You'll see this on things you read, I'm sure.

Now, I'm new to raw, so I haven't dappled into what a raw diet for a baby might consist of, but you'll want to research that too, I would think.

My son is 3 now, and so I hadn't even heard of a raw diet when he was born. I used an awesome book (Super baby food by ruth yaron) to make all of his own foods, which consisted of ground whole grain cereals with ground flax seeds and beans, and organic fruits and veggies, most of which, were cooked though. I think you could get the same effect blending them raw and freezing them into ice cube trays. I liked it because it told you what foods to introduce at what ages. Avocados are good for babies!

I swear, this is what kept him so freaking healthy amidst his always sick, fast-food-eating-soda-guzzling eating cousins. He never had an ear infection and was very healthy. He stopped eating vegetables on his first birthday, but hey, he had a great start and now we're transistioning to raw!

Best of luck!

Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: September 16, 2007 10:57PM

congrats- zapple!

that's so exciting-

i find that juicing is really essential during pregnancy, esp during the first trimester, as nausea is kinda hard and juicing can get you all the nutrients without usually causing nausea.

once you hit your second trimester, you'll start craving more carb rich and dense foods- avocados are a huge filler, bananas, still a lot of juice, and coconuts are great. you'll probably find that you're eating all the time in this phase- go for it. fats and carbs are your friends when growing little ones. you might also introduce some seaweed during this time. you're going to make a lot of blood between 4 and 6 months, and you'll need extra sodium and minerals to do this well. seaweed is good.

third trimester- i lost my appetite last time, and was on fruits and juice similar to first trimester.

i also give pregnant women a little leeway on the occasional cooked meal (i'm 75% raw most of the time anyways) esp on beans and rice, or potatoes. cravings usually are just hunger- so eating a lot of nutritious food will keep you from having cravings.

peace-

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables