Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

What/how are you, guys, eating at work or "to go" ?
Posted by: ErikSkulasonUSA ()
Date: September 13, 2007 05:38PM

That might be an interesting question.

Since the organic food spoils very fast at the room temperature (after is blended especially, or sliced/chopped) what do you take in your lunchbox at work or when you have to be away from home for more than 6-12 hours?

(I want to learn from your life style as much as I can)

Thank you.

Pls. excuse my English - foreigner.

=============================================================
Medicine, Food Industry and Commerce are businesses.
Is their goal to make/keep me healthy or to make more profit?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What/how are you, guys, eating at work or "to go" ?
Posted by: corizza ()
Date: September 13, 2007 08:30PM

I work at a coffeeshop and we are not allowed to eat anything while we are working, we are only allowed to have beverages. So I make smoothies in the morning and take them with me and sip on them throughout my shift. It keeps me from getting really hungry and feeling like crap. You can always take fruit or vegetables that don't spoil fast like apples, peaches, bananas, carrots, celery, and so on, little snack foods. I take raw almonds with me too and leave them in my car in case I get hungry and need a snack. Or I'll make trail mix with raw nuts and seeds and dried fruit. I am trying to phase out the nuts and dried fruit though, so I don't know if thats the best of advice. hope this helped!

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: September 13, 2007 08:43PM

-I throw a bunch of fruit in a little insulated bag.....and away I go!

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: m ()
Date: September 13, 2007 10:19PM

i take my ice-chest to work everyday and fill it up with:

mason glass jars with juices/green smoothies.

some fruit, including an avocado or two.

love,
*m*

Posted by: pihourova ()
Date: September 13, 2007 10:26PM

same as david, i just take whatever fruits i have. i get 3 breaks a day, each break is for 15 minutes and i bring 3 mason jars full of fruit for each break. usually watermelon or pineapple or mango. or a mix of the three.

i do not refrigerate them, i just keep them in my large purse. i eat them with water and/or green tea or dandelion tea.

Posted by: caseyberaw ()
Date: September 13, 2007 11:01PM

I bring an insulated bag to work with a little ice pack in it and usually pack a salad, some nuts, and lots of fruit- simple!

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: September 14, 2007 01:56AM

I take fruit to work. I have a feast. It feels so good. Today I am having a papaya - it is amazingly sweet. Later, I think I might go for the strawberries. I also have some oranges, kiwi and bananas. I tend to keep fruit in my office for the next day, and top up when needed.

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: the enchantress ()
Date: September 14, 2007 02:08PM

Invest in an insulated lunch bag and an ice pack. Problem solved.

Posted by: Dulset ()
Date: September 14, 2007 03:56PM

Erik,

I inhaled 6 juicy ripe black plums for breakfast at my desk. I always come to work with organic bananas (for lunch) and canteloupes are also a staple for me, usuallyfor breakfast. I've been having fresh figs for snacks in the afternoon. Lots of local peaches now too.

I'm having my green smoothie when I get home now instead of in the morning. I have more time to enjoy it then and I get less cravings that way just before dinner.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: September 14, 2007 11:47PM

i have a backpack made my thermos its fully insulated i fill it full of fresh fruit adn veggies every other day and pack a knife and spoon and one of many homemade salad dressings i make smiling smiley

i carry smoothies with me in the bag in glass mason jars smiling smiley these are daily so i dont lose nutrients smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: diamond dave ()
Date: September 15, 2007 03:52PM

These are all such excellent suggestions for a newbie such as myself. Clarification please to you wiser members on making any kind of smoothie and then enjoying it later on.

I've read on the Blind Guru site how fast things begin to oxidize and turn once put in a blender. He sells some sort of pump that removes much of the air, thereby (supposedly) keeping the smoothie more fresh and nutrient rich. Perhaps the biggest clue should be the fact that someone is trying to sell me something...

Are these products just a gimmick or if a smoothie is kept cool & consumed within a reasonable period there's nothing to worry about?

Having said all that, taking in whole fruits and veggies to work does seem like the easiest and best choice.

Regards,

David

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2007 03:54PM by diamond dave.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 15, 2007 04:30PM

i don't love the aged smoothie myself, it tastes congealed and ick to me. i prefer fresh or whole fruit.
nuts travel well, dehydrated crackers too. a large container of salad with olives or avo and dressing in a separate container are terrific. marinated veggies (oil, lemon juice, garlic, spices. it "cooks" them) and sprouted grains are nice.

Posted by: Darren ()
Date: September 16, 2007 09:16AM

I just started back to work this week after being off for 12 weeks....Started the Raw diet the same time....I am taking lots of fruit and veggies and raw almonds and raw peanuts....the nuts and almonds really feel me up without having to eat vary many....the fruit gives me natural sugar for energy and the veggies give me my minerals...

Posted by: ErikSkulasonUSA ()
Date: September 21, 2007 09:17AM

diamond dave Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> [...] how fast things
> begin to oxidize and turn once put in a blender.
> He sells some sort of pump that removes much of
> the air, thereby (supposedly) keeping the smoothie
> more fresh and nutrient rich. [...]
>
> Are these products just a gimmick or if a smoothie
> is kept cool & consumed within a reasonable period
> there's nothing to worry about?
> > [...]

IMO the only reasonable period of time to eat the smoothies is IMMEDIATELY.

Once the cells are broken by blender, every minute of waiting is decreasing the quality. The taste and color are both fading.

The vacuum pumps will eventually remove an insignificant amount of the micro bubbles of air trappped into the smoothie, but all the chemicals released from fibres and cells will start to interact with or without air.

You don't have to believe me. Try yourself.

Take 2 apples of similar size and 1 pomegranate. Cut in 1/2 the pome granate.

Put in blender 1/2 cup of water, 1 apple and 1/2 pomegranate.
Blend and store the juice wherever you want. (Don't taste).

1-2 hours later make the same mix with the rest of ingredients - the same proportions.

Now try first some of the first sample (smell first, compare the fluidity, then sip).

Rinse your mouth with some water and taste the fresh made one.

You will see.

Beside this - there is another problem to consider.

Do you think is good for your system to eat all the time cold (refrigerated) food?

This is (for me) the main reason to eat/drink the smoothies immediately, using as much i possible fruits and vegetable at the room's temperature - NOT from fridge.

The stomach does not have to heat the food we ingest and then to start the digestion. Sometimes the cold juices are refreshing and maybe better tasting, but IMO is better to eat (luke)warm food.

Pls. excuse my English - foreigner.

Medicine, Food Industry and Commerce are businesses.
Is their goal to make/keep me healthy or to make more profit?

Posted by: dewey ()
Date: September 23, 2007 04:17PM

i make myself a smoothie before work and drink that for breakfast. it usually consists of banana,whatever berries i have on hand-usually blue and straw, hemp protein, dandelion greens and/or kale, sometimes an orange. then i pack the following in a large lock n lock container...some fresh fruit-whole usually and i cut it if need be at work...i have this at around 10 am...then for lunch i unpack my salad from my lock and lock and i am good to go smiling smiley
patty

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: September 23, 2007 04:22PM

Erik that is true for sure but for some people ... like myself ... taking smoothies to work or school is a good option

id rather eat a 3 hour old smoothie then the greasy pizza passing around the office ..sure its not as fresh but to me its better then whats available to eat around here (i work in an industrial area of town)

smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: applebaby ()
Date: September 24, 2007 12:47AM

i work in a clothing store. i bring a lunch and if its like vegetable soup or vegetables i keep it in the fridge and keep fruit in my locker. i keep a couple bananas and almonds under the counter to snack on in between breaks!

Posted by: inspirit ()
Date: September 24, 2007 01:35AM

When I buy fruit, I don't even bother taking it out of the shopping bag. I just carry the bag to work with me. So every day I show up for work with about 5 pounds of fruit in hand.

inspirit - aka coolkarma

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: September 25, 2007 02:58AM

Its funny, I now go to the back lot at work and eat perfectly ripe blackberries. I can tell you they are GOOD. I am so glad they are there, because some of the fruit I brought to work are not quite ripe. I am going to continue to eat from the bush during lunch and breaks as long as they are available!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables