Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

cooked food and dreams
Posted by: fuzzysox ()
Date: September 15, 2007 12:26PM

well the other yesterday i had some blue corn chips, and ended up getting a migraine and almost vomiting last night..
ouch i kno..
but it went away and i got some wonderful sleep,, better than all this week, and i also dreamed.. it wasnt a nightmare, but a wonderful dream, that was so vivid i thought it was real :]
neways i was wondering if this happens 2 neone else
whenever i eat cooked food i have dreams and sleep better
i think i am missing some sort of vitamin, bc i dont think it should be like this
for the most part i crave grains, especially blue corn... maybe its the b's im missing?
thanks 4 your help :]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cooked food and dreams
Posted by: shaine ()
Date: September 15, 2007 12:51PM

I'm nearly 100% raw, and last night, I had several vivid vivid dreams. the last one was full of anger (toward my brother, whom I am incredibly close to), which was upsetting, but vivid nonetheless. I hadn't dreamed as memorably as I used to, since I went raw early this spring. But this week, I began taking a multivitamin, and a vegetarian EFA (essential fatty acid) capsule. I was concerned about the amount of hair that was coming out in the shower. Anyway, it fulfills 400% of my B1, 350% of B6, and 150% of B12. I'm not telling anyway to take this. But in response to fuzzysox, yeah, maybe it's the B's--and maybe this overload is what caused such agitated emotions in my subconsious.

measure twice, cut once.

"In Watermelon Sugar the deeds were done and done again as my life is done in watermelon sugar." ~r.brautigan

I make paintings

Date: September 15, 2007 01:17PM

thanks for the advice shain, i thouhgt it was the b's and possibly efa and dha
ill deffinately be getting some supplements, what was the brand of multivatimin you are taking?

thats strange that your dreams are angry, mine werent like that at all, but they were deffinately strange,, i remember that in one of them my eyes changed color into this bright oceany blueish it was so weird, since i hav green/hazely eyes..

haha neways, do b's help with sleep and concentration?
also does neone out there suplement with b12, and what is a good brand?
i cant afford 2 buy all the rawfoods i want, so my diet is very limited, i also cannot get homegrown foods, is there any food that i could buy maybe once a month that has some b12, i keep hearing wheatgrass has it, but is this really tru?

Posted by: jono ()
Date: September 15, 2007 01:35PM

Could be that those cooked foods trigger release of pleasure chemicals like dopamine in the brain, and this has an affect on your dreaming.

Posted by: rawnora ()
Date: September 15, 2007 02:46PM

Dreams have been called "the guardians of sleep." Dreaming is what the mind does when 'external' influences threaten to disrupt the life-preserving process of nerve energy regeneration, which is what the body must do during sleep.

If you realize this and start to observe the pattern of when you dream, you can make the connections between the things that are disturbing your sleep and this will allow you to set up more favorable conditions for deep sleep. Those are, basically, a quiet dark place, lots of fresh air, a soft comfortable surface to lie on and blankets if you live where it gets cold at night. Sleep is also more deep and restorative if you go to bed with an empty stomach. Eating too late, eating cooked food or even complicated raw food can disrupt sleep because the body can't simultaneously digest food and produce nerve energy. I remember a few years ago having nightmares all night long after I ate a complicated raw dish made out of nuts and juiced mature coconut late in the evening.

Dreams are only disorganized thoughts. They have no significance or meaning. That's why they make no sense most of the time. It's a mistake to try to make sense of them (imo), and it's potentially self destructive (imo) to make decisions based on what happens in our dreams. The subjects of our dreams are determined at random by the experiences we have while we're conscious. Certainly they are not indicative of nutrient deficiencies of any sort, either.

Best wishes,
Nora
www.RawSchool.com

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: September 15, 2007 03:37PM

Dreams are the subconcious processing your life experiences. Dreaming is a very important part of the process of integrating facts and experiences into memory. Just as your body processes food, air, toxins, etc, your mind processes thoughts and experiences and sensory input, (its 'food'). However, whether you remember dreams or not, doesn't seem to be important to this process.

It's usually not important to use them in your waking life and try to attach a lot of meaning to them - your mind, like your body, has its own wisdom and is working on 'problems' for you.

There is a strong correlation between our neural activity and every other thing our minds and bodies experience, so food affects our Central Nervous Systems.

I notice that when I eat cooked food, I feel sedated and sometimes sleep better. I think it's the salt that affects me this way.

But Fuzzy - interesting that you dreamt of ocean-blue eyes - weren't you posting in the iris-changing-colour thread?

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: September 15, 2007 03:59PM

When I read the title, I assumed the subject would be..."I have dreams that contain references to cooked foods"...which I think is very normal/healthy..because I very much agree with Nora, although I wouldn't go as far to say they are insignificant...just not a sign of deep rest.

eating cooked or complex foods, or taking supplements..will slow things down, nothing necessarily wrong with that per se, but I can see how it might make one feel more at ease, rest better etc...if their raw process is far too "energizing"

I'm reading this graphic novel where a guy took all his dream diaries and made them into a non-linear pictorial story..pretty significant to me..and highly clever/enjoyable smiling smiley

Posted by: Pistachio ()
Date: September 15, 2007 04:22PM

When I've reviewed what I've eaten during the day when I've had vivid dreams and read the ingredient labels, it consistently involved non-raw processed food and interestingly enough always included MSG type flavorings (usually called by the others terms associated with it).

It evidently excites neurons in the brain to stimulate those vivid dreams. Guess that's why they're referred to as exitotoxins.

Wishing you vibrant health

Posted by: rawnora ()
Date: September 15, 2007 04:37PM

quadecoco wrote: "when I eat cooked food, I feel sedated and sometimes sleep better..."

Hi aquadecoco,
Feeling sedated is a sign of the overexpenditure of bodily energy, which creates an even greater rest deficit in the body. The problems that cooked foods create with regard to nerve energy regeneration are felt everyday by the people who eat it, and especially by raw fooders who go back and forth from cooked to raw. It's one reason why even though you may feel more tired (or relaxed, or sedated, whatever you want to call it) when you eat it, you will also feel more tired the day *after* you eat it. It also explains, in part, why cooked food eaters feel the need to drink coffee first thing in the morning or eat stimulative foods to get themselves going.

Feeling sedated does not lead to deeper sleep. Sleeping pills cause that same feeling, but the body does not efficiently regenerate nerve energy when they are used. There's no substitute for real, natural sleep that is conducted under ideal conditions (the ones I mentioned before), including an empty stomach.

Mistaking the feelings of sedation that occur after eating cooked food as leading to getting better rest is similar to when people take harmful substances that are purported to "cleanse" the body (i.e., cayenne pepper, etc.) and then experience extraordinary symptoms such as excess mucus, runny nose, etc. They mistakenly think that the substances caused the cleansing of wastes that were already there, but that's not what's really happening. The symptoms are only the body's efforts to get rid of the substance, and taking the substance only increased the body's load.

Sedation and stimulation are seen in the medical world as opposites but, even though they FEEL quite different, in reality they are the same: overstimulation, overexpenditure. It's just a matter of which organs and processes in the body an ingested substance affects, and how it affects them.

I thought you'd like to know. smiling smiley

Warm wishes,
Nora
www.RawSchool.com

Date: September 15, 2007 04:39PM

yes, and when the intake of harmful stuff is ceased (or slowed to a great degree) the exitotoxins flow outwards and viola!...SWEET DREAMS

Date: September 15, 2007 04:55PM

I agree - feeling sedated, as in, having something external doing something TO me, isn't desirable.

Posted by: corizza ()
Date: September 15, 2007 05:35PM

Since I have started the eating raw food most of the time my sleep has been pretty messed up. I wake up several times in the night, which I never used to do. But I think the reason why is that I always used to eat heavy foods right before i'd go to sleep, and now I am not doing that so I don't have that 'aid' anymore. One positive thing is that I feel like I have more energy on less amounts of sleep than I used to.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: September 15, 2007 06:43PM

i had an awful awful dream last night
all i had the entire day was two dates and some water ( just forgot about eating the rest of the day)

at any rate, it made me soooooo UPSET that I actually told the guy I dreamt about what the dream was about

he didn't seem to think anything of it

so i'm going to do my best to shrug it off

on... FORWARD to

NEXT DREAM!

Date: September 15, 2007 07:28PM

so laveronique, it was a lucid dream?

And who forgets about eating? ? ? ?

Posted by: vegcase ()
Date: September 16, 2007 04:04AM

fuzzysox- I wanted to send u a personal message but your box must be full. can you let me know when theres room to send it? thanks~

Date: September 16, 2007 04:40PM

hey everyone thanks for all the replies :]
as it turns out the good dreaming didnt last very long because i ended up having a nightmare last night...

vegcase i deleted everything in my inbox so your email will go through now :]

jono i dont think it is the cooked food triggering peasure chemicals.. i think it is the lack of b vitamins,, besides feeling a little better right after eating the corn chips, i get very nauseated and i feel like i have acid reflux, and the worst part is that i cannot go 2 the bathroom normally, it takes a while for the gunk 2 get out of me

rawnora thanks for the advice, i kindof knew in the back of my head that my bdy was just @#$%& out and trying 2 recover from what i ate...
it is interesting that you would have nightmares after eating complicated meals, this happens 2 me sometimes 2... as far as dreams having no meaning, im going 2 have 2 disagree with you on that, i have had dreams where one of my friends who died came back 2 me several times and told me she was okay,, my mom has had a premonition before... sometimes dreams do have meaning

aqua i kno dreams are just our subconscious thoughts shown 2 us while we sleep, but sometimes they do have real meaning, like they can be a message, this has happened to me before....haha ya my eyes are slowly changing color, that dream was so weird, even the pupil of my eye was this oceany blue, doubt my eyes will ever turnblue tho, i remember thinking in the dream how weird they looked

anaken i agree cooked food slows everything down, like aqua stated i was feeling sedated.. haha
that book sounds so kool :], could u tell me who it is by?

wow that is really interesting pistachio, i guess that is why they call them excitotoxins,, ur lucky u get vivid dreams from stuff like msg, i usually end up getting a stomache ache lol

corizza i have the same problem, less sleep, but more energy, tho i feel like my body needs more sleep.. i think my problem is that i cant let go of some emotional issues ive held onto from the past, so its really messing me up, even physically to the point of not sleeping well

laV im sorry your dream was so bad, i hope it didnt mean nething,, it probably didnt, i hope your dreams were better last night :]
sumtimes i forget 2 eat 2, it comes with the stress of skool

hmmm i think we shouldstart a dream thread and swap dreams, that would be fun grinning smiley

Date: September 16, 2007 10:53PM

it's called Crypto Zoo by Rick Veitch

he also wrote/created another about one man's unique experience on 911 called Can't Get No

He's the head executive at this company that produces non-erasable markers in downtown Manhattan. Once John Q Public's bratty kids clue into this fact and start grafittoing everything..the company gets sued and he loses his job hardcore, goes on a big drinking binge, hooks up with these 2 crazy art school chicks who proceed to tatoo his entire body head to toe with hieroglyphic patterns with the marker. He wakes up the next morning completely uncomfortable (to himself and his family) in his new freakish identity and BAM 911 happens. Thats the beginning!..the remainder of the book is his experiences/acceptance of the weirdest trip one could have to discovering one's identity within mass crisis. There's no dialogue and the captions are like one big/single poem. Its probably the greatest book ever written.

I hardly read conventional books anymore. Especially health/diet books. ha! My new favorite is 'Swamp Thing'. Most people think that he has typical Peter-Parker-esq origins: man is working on some kind of secret goo, ends up exploding and blowing him into a swamp.

Well, that might have been the original story, but another writer took up the task in the 80's and decided that no...he was not a man that merged with a bunch of microorganisms and swamp algae...'He' was a conglomeration of scum, vegetable matter and microorganisms that collectively had the memory and consciousness of a man! The of course when 'he' realizes this he freaks out..gets 'depressed'..and then eventually just decides to stop ';breathing' and goes about kicking ass. Theres this other part where this villain eats a yam of sorts that falls from Swamp Thing...its all very profound..ha!

so what is this about? dreams? yeah LIVE em!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2007 10:55PM by anaken.

Date: September 17, 2007 01:43AM

anaken

your book post has got to be one of my most favorite posts
thanks for the explanations of the books

"Swamp thanggg"... how utterly superlicious to read about a dude who morphs into algae who then claims to have merged with the consciousness of humanoids

now that is MY kinda reading!

gimme the author

don't say NO to me

on the other hand, that other book
"Can't Say No"

whooooOOO EEEEEEEE!!!!!

what a TRIP!

gotta watch out for men who acquiesce to being tatooed by art chicks
( i was one of the chicks that tatooed the dude by the way LOLsmiling smiley

Date: September 17, 2007 03:07PM

haha, i'm sure you were LaV!

the writer who got his start re-inventing Swamp Thing is no other than Alan Moore, who went on to write Watchmen, From Hell, League of Extraordinary Gentleman, and V for Vendetta, recognizable to some as major motion pictures. He's pretty much the most celebrated in the biz, and tends to despise his films, although Watchmen just started filming by the guy that did 300 and Billy Crudup is in it, so that might just be rad.

-----
I desire not to veer too much off topic (well yes I DO) but anyway here are some other thoughts on dreams

our brains are store-houses of information, think of it kinda like a warehouse. Long after you get busted for pushing JUNK all the JUNK is cleared out and we have changed our habits in a positive direction, (importing a much healthier fare, and working less hours Ha!) there may be receipts and other paper trails hanging about. If we are walking around in the warehouse after hours...we might get something stuck to our shoe.

so we may occasionally dream about some kind of snacky-food or something, but as long as we are not MOTIVATED to do those things in our waking life, its just like any other symptom..better to observe like an old re-run then get hung up on the significance.

people neglect the exertion of sensory load (overload)...this is why IMO mediation - in all its forms - is a very important practice, getting to a place of no-thinking and no-attachment, so objects do not become 'sticky' and cause us to veer from our being. With the dissolution of the desire/ability to construct a complex story, the 'eyes' can detox in the form of dreams

if you are using you mind/soul/heart consistently and being very physically active, its very healthy to just be OUT, and if you have to watch alot of re-runs in the process then that is very healthy too...LOL

anyway, these are just MY thoughts, and have no scientific validation. And what do I know, I just read the truth in a bubble gum wrapper.

Posted by: dewey ()
Date: September 18, 2007 04:01AM

anaken Wrote:
---------
And what do I know, I just
> read the truth in a bubble gum wrapper.

LOVE THIS!
patty

Date: September 18, 2007 04:06AM

bubble gum wrapper as fortune tellers?

yeah? and? that's not what EVERYONE does? huh? tongue sticking out smiley

hey anaken:

thanks for the awesome info... oh ..he did Watchmen? well. that says something...

thanks...

and yeah.. i like billy crudup

crud.... why is THAT? Just do... smiling smiley

there are creative minds out there

that always makes me happy

really

it does

truly

it really does

truly

did i say

REALLY?

Date: September 19, 2007 01:15AM

ha, thanks Dewey,

but actually its just something I heard David Zane Mason say once

did you check out my book I wrote based those conversations with him? Its chocked full of gems like that.

[www.writerwriterwriter.com]

I don't know anything about fortune tellers LaV, just my dreams

Posted by: khale ()
Date: September 19, 2007 01:29AM

anaken wrote:

"did you check out my book I wrote based those conversations with him? Its chocked full of gems like that."

I've read it through twice now and have quoted from it once. Highly recommend.

khale

Posted by: dewey ()
Date: September 19, 2007 03:20AM

anaken Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
ason say once
>
> did you check out my book I wrote based those
> conversations with him? Its chocked full of gems
> like that.
>
i`ll have to put that on my agendasmiling smiley looking forward to it
patty

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables