Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

carbs, calories & fat
Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: September 17, 2007 03:35PM

I haven't been able to eat sweet fruit for years.

Last week I had some organic, tree-ripened fruit from a neighbour and didn't react to it.

I used to love and eat lots of fruit (Nat. Hyg.) but for the past 15 years I've avoided buying fruit - it's tasteless and unattractive.

Does anyone else find they can eat tree-ripened fruit, though not picked-green fruit?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: carbs, calories & fat
Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: September 21, 2007 05:28AM

When you ate the store bought fruit, would you let it ripen at home? Much of the fruit I buy needs to hang out in my kitchen counter for 2 to 4 days, some even longer than that.

Date: September 21, 2007 04:43PM

Yes I did let it ripen. I don't like unripe, unscented fruit.

Sometimes it just wouldn't ripen, it would develop rotting spots before it was ripe. The non-organic fruit was terrible for this - huge difference in how it acted after I brought it home - half the fruit would be unripe and the other half rotten!

Posted by: karennd ()
Date: September 21, 2007 04:44PM

Some fruits you have to put in a brown paper bag and close the bag. Pears ripen great this way!

Posted by: Custom ()
Date: September 21, 2007 04:51PM

aqua... fruit that does not ripen, but rots instead, is due to being picked too green and not having enough sugars in the fruit to finish the ripening process. At least this is what I was told years ago when I owned and farmed an apricot and peach orchard

Custom AKA Elayne

Date: September 21, 2007 08:50PM

Custom that's interesting and good to know.
Most organic fruit I buy doesn't do this.

Karennd - I didn't usually do this, but would put it in a dark cupboard to ripen. Probably not the same thing, though.

Posted by: karennd ()
Date: September 21, 2007 08:57PM

The brown paper bag works for peaches too. Bananas can just sit out in the open to ripen, of course.

I think closing the paper bag traps those ripening gases and speeds the process.

custom may be right though that some fruit just will not ripen.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables