Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Check out Shazzie on the news
Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: September 19, 2007 02:24AM

www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBbr5khuQdw

Also the comments people posted - are pretty funny.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Check out Shazzie on the news
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: September 19, 2007 02:38AM

that was a good giggle hehe smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Yogatastic ()
Date: September 19, 2007 02:44AM

Wow, that was awesome! You go girl! smiling smiley

"Let your heart shine blissfully into each moment, creating more sunshine for all who pass your way"

Posted by: veggiel0ve ()
Date: September 19, 2007 03:07AM

shazzie looks amazing. raw food is so beautiful.. and simple. i don't understand why people try to make nutrition so much harder than it has to be.

Posted by: Lorretta ()
Date: September 19, 2007 11:55AM

Shazzie does look good.
She is beautiful.
She has inspired many.

She also appears to be very 'speedy' and ungrounded.
Unfortunately this does not do her any favours as regards being taken seriously.

All that said, I dont think she really cares what people think of her. She is doing her own thing and appears to be happy, good luck to her!

Posted by: jono ()
Date: September 19, 2007 12:19PM

>>She also appears to be very 'speedy' and ungrounded

This was probably due to the tiny allotment of time she was given to defend her views... mainstream media doesn't care much for thorough and critical discourse.

Posted by: frances ()
Date: September 19, 2007 02:52PM

It seemed like a badly designed debate to me. The interviewer and the dietitian were using "superfoods" to mean all of the various foods temporarily elevated to manna-hood by the fashion of the moment. The fads are not a good way to design a diet, and people do spend a lot of money eating fashionably. Sometimes the fashionable foods are truly healthy, sometimes they aren't.

They brought on Shazzie not truly wanting her to defend superfoods, but to defend the idea of food fads. Because Shazzie's definition of "superfoods" is completely different than theirs, they proceeded to have two almost entirely unrelated conversations. They were using similar words and formatting the conversation like a debate, but there was not debate and they weren't even discussing the same things.

In the end, Shazzie managed to make a few good points, but she didn't manage to make clear what she meant by "superfoods". This isn't surprising since by my count she was only speaking for just over a minute and she probably didn't come expecting to have to define her terms. Because of this confusion, a viewer could easily come away thinking that Shazzie lives exclusively on blueberries, pomegranate juice and chocolate, and that she considers not just genetically-modified potatoes but also apples to be "hyped" food people shouldn't eat.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: September 19, 2007 03:51PM

"I've been LIVING on raw chocolate for 4 years" she said.

who knows (or cares) what she means by superfoods - but it seems to me that she means chocolate, maca, etc, typical so-called superfoods...

she looks bloated and tired , compared to how she used to look, but i know little about her life.

certainly she seems to be doing well and living her bliss, which is wonderful.

Date: September 19, 2007 05:20PM

I hardly think she looks bloated and tired... she just had a baby and said she's been sleeping 3 hours a night so she SHOULD look bloated and tired, but I thought she looked completely fresh & energetic. What does the average 38 year old woman who just had a baby look like? Probably pretty gross... even then I think it's in poor taste to pass judgement on a woman's appearance who just gave birth.

She also did a 4 part video series posted on YouTube to clarify superfoods... there's one where she goes into her backyard and shows which weeds you can eat and what to do with them, I thought that was neat... she also means cacao, maca, algae, hemp seeds, he shou wu, mesquite, etc... nobody HAS to eat these, I know alot of people like to poo poo superfoods and that's fine, nobody is trying to MAKE you eat exotic things, it's supposed to be educational & helpful for those who are interested.

She also shows how much ACTUAL cacao she eats - which is a tiny little square per day, WAY WAY less than what I ate when I tried the stuff - I mean I ate like half a bag of cacao beans in one day... so I'm going to write off my experience as "user error" and give cacao another chance.

The reason I searched for Shazzie in the first place is because I wanted to see what she said about superfoods, as I've recently grown somewhat bored of my simpler mono fruits & veggies diet.... I feel like I need something to mix it up. I've tried some of those superfoods when I first went raw and I did feel pretty damn good at the time, so I'm going to revisit them and see what happens. It's all about VARIETY.

I'm glad these exotic superfoods exist... I personally am pretty adventurous... I think it's fun to try new & exotic things. I know not everyone is like that though. That nutritionist lady was debating about BLUEBERRIES... 'how many blueberries does a person really need?' LOL.

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: September 19, 2007 05:43PM

I thought the nutritionist had a good point and one that most of us would agree with: That it's the overall diet that matters, not the superfood-du-jour. She also mentioned that the phytochemicals in the blueberries lasts only about 6 hrs in the body as an illustration that these foods are overhyped. IMHO that thinking is very sound and consistent with our approach, never mind that we disagree with her about the specifics of what constitutes a good diet.

Shazzie was and is pushing the superfoods she sells. Her physical appearance is a good advertisement but she came off as impatient, egotistical and cruel. It's hard to do a 1 minute sound byte but still...

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: September 19, 2007 06:13PM

hey, it didn't take you too long to jump down my throat sunshine!

>I hardly think she looks bloated and tired... she just had a baby and said she's been sleeping 3 hours a night so she SHOULD look bloated and tired, but I thought she looked completely fresh & energetic.

she used to look much better before superfoods and she did not just have a baby, her child is a couple years old now i think.

> What does the average 38 year old woman who just had a baby look like? Probably pretty gross... even then I think it's in poor taste to pass judgement on a woman's appearance who just gave birth.

i'm not passing judgement.
i'm making an observation thinking that the superfoods are causing her to retain water to dilute them, and she's not getting enough sleep and too much stimulation.
i can also say that i have not looked healthy many times, if that makes you feel better.

Posted by: Rawrrr! ()
Date: September 19, 2007 06:19PM

The two ladies look like prudes... shall we not waste money and only eat a few blueberries.... boring prudes.. tongue sticking out smiley Shazzy is fun! Woohoo!

Phytochemicals are in raw foodists all the time, because we eat them at every meal. I do! Gimme, gimme, gimme more!

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: September 19, 2007 06:28PM

Yeah they had a Stepford quality about them, like they were designed and programmed to carry out certain duties in the corporate world and to not think for themselves. But that sounds kinda nasty - unless they WANT to look like that - some people do.

Date: September 19, 2007 07:06PM

Sorry, fresh, I wasn't try to attack you, I just think alot of times raw foodists tend to hold each other to a higher standard without even realizing it. People will still age, even on the most ideal diet - it's just a slower & gentler type of aging.

Posted by: karennd ()
Date: September 19, 2007 07:14PM

Did anybody see her youtube postings after that news broadcast?

Part 1 is here [www.youtube.com] , but there is also a part2,3,&4.

She looks and sounds great in them, when she has more time, and she makes some very good points. I love the way, in Part 1, she shows us how to make a salad out of our weeds!

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: September 21, 2007 02:47AM

I love shazzie but she does not look as pure and healthy as she used to look and she is super hyper.

Posted by: rawveggiemom ()
Date: September 21, 2007 04:14AM

I think she looks ok and at least she is not sticking foreign objects in her body and promoting alcohol like some raw fooders. I do think she looked healther years ago before all the superfoods.

Posted by: lemoned ()
Date: September 21, 2007 05:20AM

I think she looked good but it was just too little time for too much to say..? But still, way better than if she wasn't there! If I would not have known of raw foods then, maybe this would have interested me. On the other hand, there are probably some dull people who conclude she only lives of pomegranate juice and blueberries.
All in all, I am very much OK with how she represents rawfoodism, it doesn't make the lifestyle seem like completely different than how the majority is living, so it's not scaring people away before they even thought abt. it

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 21, 2007 03:06PM

hey thanks karen, i watched all the youtubes i could find of her. the one with her picking the weeds out her garden was the best, fabulous!

who said a 38 y/o mom should look bloated and tired? bah! i am nearly her age and have TWO children on my own. even after a very difficult two years with my first and extended breastfeeding i look and feel terrific and all without the superfoods. that generalization sucked sad smiley let's not feed into the steriotype that your life and body fall apart after you have children, that's simply isn't true. i mean, look at storm and his partner, wow!

i think it's great that shazzie is taking the time to reach out and share her knowledge, that's a beautiful thing to do. she's talking enthusiastically about something that's working for her.
that said, i did think she seemed spacey and hyper and i'm sure it's the over stimulation from all those super foods and chocolate. "blissed out" indeed. she compared the "high" she gets to drugs and stimulants saying that it was another way to stay up all night partying if you wanted to. i don't know that i think that's healthful, i'm pretty sure it isn't. the body has a natural sleep cycle and if that essential circadian rhythm is ignored it wreaks havok on the system.
now i can understand finding oneself in a situation where you really need a boost and i can see trying to find the least harmful to help you out (green tea, raw chocolate, etc) but coming to rely on those things can't be good for you. being in a constant state of stimulation would burn anyone out and, frankly, to me shazzie just looked sleep deprived. like she said though, she believes that super foods are a temporary thing to get you into a state of great health and then you don't need them so maybe she'll give them up eventually (like when her kid is a bit older!) and get a bit more rest.
i personally won't be eating anything with more than a spoonful of ONE super food at a time on occasion unless i'm using it for therapy. it was shocking to see a recipe with cups and cups and cups of the stuff and not much else!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2007 03:08PM by coco.

Posted by: lemoned ()
Date: September 21, 2007 08:26PM

I think the impression of her being hyper is
a) pressure/stage fright from being on TV and nervousness
b) trying to say things that are important to her, knowing that TV host is only gonna give her 5 seconds to do that befor laughing it off.

Date: September 22, 2007 03:37AM

i meant she was spacey/hyper in the youtubes. she filmed those herself in her home. the interview was just a blip, who can judge anything based on those five seconds with the two harridans accompanying her? that was pure sillyness, that interview!

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: September 22, 2007 04:34AM

I don't think she looks bloated, even by raw food standards. I thought she looked great. I think sometimes we look at the skinniest persons in the raw food movement and assume everyone who's 'doing it right' should look like that.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: September 22, 2007 01:49PM

I think she looks great, maybe a little hyper but that's probably her personality not her diet. She'd probably be hyper on valium. She's full of ambition and energy and I love that about her.

I don't at all enjoy her manic emphasis on herself, the constant 'look at me I'm soooo terrific'. She's been that way for years, in the throes of what I call the ‘screaming me-mes’. I don't think it's an effective way to promote raw. It'd be more effective to focus on benefits she's seen in clients, herself, and other raw fooders, rather than her pathetic narcissism. For instance, rather than brag about how she’s getting only X hrs of sleep a night like a superwoman, if she said the same exact thing but let people know that before she was raw she was tired all the time, the focus would be on raw, not Shazzie. If she told a couple of stories of other peoples’ benefits, changes, and cures from raw too, this would make a much more compelling and accurate picture for others.

For sure, her health, vitality and appearance *add* to her message but when they *become* her message it distorts and weakens it. Take this thread as an example: There's lots of back and forth about how Shazzie looks, is she hyper because of eating chocolate, and so on; and very little about our own experiences with chocolate or superfoods, research, or anything non-Shazzie related. If you look at her videos and her emphasis on herself, you can see why that is.

The point is, too, that the diet that is good for Shazzie is not necessarily good for anyone else.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2007 01:56PM by greenie.

Date: September 24, 2007 03:39AM

I personally love it when girls are unapologetically exuberant and confident about themselves - I find it refreshing and positive and way more fun to be around than traditional "good girls". I don't think it has anything to do with her being raw, btw - probably just her personality. Some people love being the center of attention, while others are more content being in the background.

Also the hyper thing may be relative to the observer - from my NYC perspective she seemed "just right" - efficient perhaps, or fun - but not hyper. She seems to be a "forward momentum" person, which is great. Energetic people are good for TV, anyway - look at Kelly Ripa. Also considering that Shazzie is not a professional TV person, I thought her sense of timing in the videos was impressive.

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: September 24, 2007 06:13AM

If I never had any exposure to raw foods, superfoods, I wouldn't have the slightest. Maybe I still don't, but I'm moving in the right direction! Its easy to criticize these two women. They have a certain understanding of food and how it relates to their culture, and they are trying to relate that to others. It didn't seem very life giving, how it was presented. I used to really like the analysis of bits and pieces of nutrition, there is actually quite a bit of that on the board. "where do you get your protein, B-12 etc..." There is alot of confusion about these things. Don't expect people to get it in a short little blurb.

I could tell that they were quite scared by the comment about feeling love. They probably have never experienced that, and that can be scary or suspect because its not 'scientific', and doesn't explore the bits and pieces of nutrition they are focusing on.

I felt that experience on a primarily fruit diet, it was quite profound. But I didn't know what to think about it, I never experienced a feeling of love without some reason. I even doubted it, thinking that all the fruit was doing something weird. It wasn't even on 'super foods'. Just normal fruits everyone has probably had, just of really high quality.

Posted by: jadedshade ()
Date: September 24, 2007 01:51PM

coconutcream Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I love shazzie but she does not look as pure and
> healthy as she used to look and she is super
> hyper.

I saw her in person earlier this year at Bristol Vegan Fayre and she looked amazing, she had an amazing healthy glow.

Phil.

--------------------------------------------------

"Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it" (Chinese Proverb)

Date: September 24, 2007 02:41PM

"I could tell that they were quite scared by the comment about feeling love."
i thought that too, like when those words left her mouth she was instantly and totally dismissed as being a kookoo. most people are so disassociated with love energy that to them, any mention of love is equated with sex. and you know how most people feel about that! typical love/hate relationship with plenty of confusion and mixed messages. tons of people don't feel lovable and therefore don't feel love towards others, often including their spouse and family memebers. it is a tragedy.
here's an exercise i learned (i think from my hippy~bohemian mom) to increase the love in your life. i'm pretty sure i posted this elsewhere recently but it's worth repeating.

gaze into your own eyes in a mirror
say hello to yourself using your own first name
again using your own first name express your love for yourself;
say " I love you Joy (that's my name, use your own, ha ha)."
tell the person in the mirror that you think they are wonderful.
really mean the words, radiate the feeling out to yourself.

do this twice a day for two weeks and then see how you feel, i predict a profound difference in the amount of love you feel in your life.

you may love this and find it really easy and fun but don't fret if you find it difficult or even find yourself in tears. many people have an intense reaction to this exercise. it's simple but extremely powerful.

Posted by: cy ()
Date: September 24, 2007 03:59PM

Hi Joy,great exercise,I'll do that.
I have another one.
Breath deeply and close your eyes.
Go to your home and see yourself as a child.
Look at her(him) and tell her(him) that you love her(him) and you will never leave her(him). Ask her(him) if she(him) loves you back and wait for the answer.
Hug her(him) and take her(him) with you holding hands.

You can talk with your child any time you want.Just close your eyes and see you as an infant.

Posted by: karennd ()
Date: September 24, 2007 07:17PM

As to Shazzie, I am not sure I agree with her approach -- eating primarily superfoods. But, I choose to maintain a watch and wait attitude and observe how she does over the long run. She looks good so far and who knows, maybe she is right.

I know I have followed the Boutenko family for years also. I read their book, The Raw Family, when it first came out and watched and waited to see how they were doing. Then they discovered they weren't eating enough greens, Victoria regained some weight and had cravings, etc. And she said she needed to rewrite that first book to correct some information.

It is all a learning process, because unfortunately we are paving new ground here. Remember when jogging was all the craze and we thought people who ran marathons were the healthiest around? Well, turns out (unfortunately) a lot of them tend to die young...

So far, I choose to believe mostly in what Dr. Norman Walker had to say because he lived to such a healthy old age. I also like Dr. Fred Bisci, who is still alive, because he is a 40 year raw foodist. But, in the meantime, we have to do the best we can and listen to our body's signals and not blindly follow any guru.

Just my 2 cents.

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: September 24, 2007 07:32PM

Karennd,
My partner ran for years on hard pavement and now has severe foot problems. Unfortunately he has had it operated on three times. It really hasn't improved things. He used to take massive amounts of pain killers. I didn't really like seeing that. I don't know if there is anything that can be done naturally, but he does regret having it done. I would like to hope that natural living can heal anything, even operations.

Some exercise is good, but I quit running years ago, because I didn't like the pounding on my feet, hips. Now I just walk. I don't lift weights either, as I used to. I do however work pretty hard in the garden, and I think that does something. I think we were designed to roam around and look for things to eat, or better places to live, or even just to see whats around, and enjoy the beauty and fresh air. Like anything else, people tend to divide living up into little boxes, diet, exercise, clothing, environment, career, relatives, friends, family. They are all interconnected.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables