Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

plant sources of B-12?
Posted by: Werewolf ()
Date: September 19, 2007 08:46PM

I've had a very strong interest in raw foods over the last year or so, and right now I'm in the process of transitioning into 100% raw. It's all very exciting! I just finished reading the new edition of Victoria Boutenka's (spelling?) "12 steps to Raw Food", and I feel like it's finally given me the motivation I need to go 100% raw. I donated all my cooked/prcoessed food to a local food shelf, and now my apartment is stocked only with raw foods!

I have but one concern about raw food nutrition. After doing some reading, I am confident that raw (vegan) foods can provide all the nutrients my body needs. Except, perhaps, B-12.

In all my reading, I really haven't come across anything about plant sources of B-12. In Victoria's book, she has one chapter called "What the first humans ate", or something to that effect. She believes that early humans, in addition to heavy consumption of greens and fruit, frequently ate bugs. It would explain how they were able to get B-12 into their systems without eating cooked meat.

My primary reason for asking about B-12 is that I have a history of auto-immune disorders in my family, including Multiple Scherlosis. As I recall, some of the foods that are believed to increase the risk of developing MS are wheat, dairy products, and legumes. Well, I obviously don't eat dairy. Nor wheat, for that matter. I do occasionally eat legumes, but not often. In addition to these risky foods, not getting enough vitamin B-12 is believed to be a contributing factor to MS. So, getting B-12 into my system is basically my only concern.

Does anyone know anything about plant sources of B-12? Would anyone care to further elaborate on MS in relationship to raw foods? Thanks a bunch!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: plant sources of B-12?
Posted by: roxeli ()
Date: September 19, 2007 09:09PM

This article might help:
[www.vegsoc.org]

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: September 19, 2007 11:47PM

In this article she mentions that parsley contains components to make B12 in the body. This person is neither raw nor vegan so I think it's interesting that she mentions a vegan source of B12. See what you think:

[www.naturalhealthtechniques.com]

Date: September 22, 2007 03:50PM

These articles definitely help smiling smiley It seems that parsley does contain B-12! I'm left wondering if it's a B-12 analogue (inactive), though. Let's hope not.

The way I see it, I have 3 options for getting B-12:
1.) Parsley
2.) B-12 supplements
3.) Nutritional yeast

Like I said, I'm really not into taking vitamin supplements. I don't know very much about nutritional yeast, so perhaps I'll have to do some research. I'm pretty into the idea of eating lot's of parsley, though. Reading through the 2nd article, parsley looks like a pretty amazing food. I saw some organic parsley at the food store this morning... maybe I'll pick some up on my way home smiling smiley

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: September 22, 2007 04:02PM

Nutritional yeast only has B12 if it has it added (so it's basically the same as taking a supplement).

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: September 22, 2007 05:05PM

These articles on B-12 are also worth reading:

The Vitamin B12 Issue

Rethinking & Clarifying the Vitamin B12 Issue

Posted by: Peisinoe ()
Date: September 22, 2007 05:08PM

werewolf-

did you know that parsley has more usable calcium than most greens, like chard and spinach?

I eat a big bushel every day. grinning smiley
Didn't know it had b-12 in it though. Cool!

xxpeisi

~I've tasted of the fruit,
it's opened up my eyes...~
-Infected Mushroom

Date: September 24, 2007 03:01PM

Thank you very much, Bryan, for the two articles. They were EXACTLY what I was looking for. I would encourage anyone else concerned about B-12 to read them as well.

Based on these two articles, it looks as if I don't actually need supplementation. Supplements appear to be an ineffective way of giving the body what it needs when compared to eating (surprise surprise) whole raw foods. This is especially the case with B-12, which is part of the vitamin B complex. The B vitamins work together! In addition, raw vegans probably need less B-12 than people who consume dairy/meat, smoke, or drink alcohol. It is thought that raw vegans are at no greater risk for a deficeincy than meat eaters.

While vitamin B-12 shots may be a short term soultion for those with a deficeincy, good digestive health is going to make the most difference in the long run. The body is capable of producing B-12 in the smal intestines. Eating whole raw foods, not over eating, and the occasional fast create an ideal enviroment inside your body for this production. It is also seen as beneficial to eat homegrown produce that is not heavily washed, because ingesting the soil found on them can only help!

Thanks again for the articles, Bryan smiling smiley

At any rate, Peisinoe, I still plan on buying a bunch of parsley on my next trip to the food store (that's today, actually). It just sounds too damn healthy to pass up! ^_^

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables