Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Help! Why am I gaining weight by eating raw?
Posted by: ferdiewen ()
Date: September 28, 2007 06:55PM

First of all, I love raw dieting. I have been on for a week. My skin is clear, my erergy is high, my bowl movement is regular and my clothes fits better. I am so in tune with my body,I sleep when I am tired and I eat when I am hungry.

But, why am I graining 2 pounds. I heard lot people on raw diet the pound just melt off from their body. Is it because I eat too much nuts or fats? Or I eat too much fruits or organic bar? Will the weight eventually come off when I am more adopt to the raw food diet?

Can we eat chocolate? What is a good brand on the market, like "Dagoba", I eat their dark chocolate or non-milk mix? Is it ok?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help! Why am I gaining weight by eating raw?
Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: September 28, 2007 06:59PM

Enter your daily menu into a nutritional calculator like fitday.com or nutritiondata.com. How many calories are you eating, and what is the percentage of fat in your daily menu? The answer to these question will help answer your questions.

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: September 28, 2007 07:05PM

A week? That's really not a long time at all. Rest assured IT WILL come off. Could be a couple weeks, couple months, but IT WILL come off. No denying that.

Date: September 28, 2007 09:31PM

If you just eat raw foods you will lose weight. My weight didn't come off right away. It took 4 weeks for only 5 pounds. I've been raw almost 4 months and I've just lost 15 pounds. I didn't need to lose a lot of weight but it just happened.

Posted by: fruitgirl ()
Date: September 28, 2007 10:33PM

if you eat eenough fruit you prob wont want chocolate.

Posted by: shaine ()
Date: September 29, 2007 01:35AM

friends have given me raw chocolate--I don't buy it because of the cost.
oh yes. and it's terrible. it never melts into your tongue--just gets chewed up and tastes like eating wax.
cacao nibs taste good to me. nutty and intensely cocoa. not sweet, but still satisfying.
If you're dying for chocolate, and more prepared/processed raw foods are okay to you (not passing judgement...just clarifying), Lara bars are pretty good. It's more like eating a chocolate powerbar than chocolate, but better IMO than actual raw chocolate bars. and cheaper.
I haven't tried cacao beans.
has anyone?
what are they like?

one thing I was doing early on, was mixing carob powder, maca, agave and oil, then dipping bananas in it and freezing them. I'd eat 3 or 4 in a sitting. aaaah.

measure twice, cut once.

"In Watermelon Sugar the deeds were done and done again as my life is done in watermelon sugar." ~r.brautigan

I make paintings

Posted by: tropical ()
Date: September 29, 2007 03:21AM

This chocolate/carob pudding is fairly good and takes care of my chocolate cravings. You might like it too if you can get past the flax seed texture, I remember it took me awhile as a newbie to get used to the texture.

1/4c flax seeds
1/4c raisins
soak in just enough water to cover it for at least an hour

Add more water, this time use warm water so the pudding is warm.
Add a heaping spoon of carob or chocolate power and blend until it is light and fluffy.

It's real simple and a big plus is that you get the flax seeds helping with your detox. I ate so much of it when I was a newbie that I got sick of flax seeds.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2007 03:32AM by tropical.

Posted by: bindiguurl ()
Date: September 30, 2007 08:10AM

I also experienced weight gain in the first couple of weeks. I think I was eating more because I didn't feel not eating as much pasta, rice or bread. I also wasn't more than 60% raw. I was getting a lot more water in my diet from all the watermelon I was eating too. I felt bloated over the first couple of weeks but now my digestion is good. I think, for me, the weight gain may have been for a few reasons: 1. my body was adjusting to it, not absorbing the food properly over the first couple of weeks, 2. my body was holding onto the water, 3. i was eating more than i usual would because i didn't feel full.

Now it's been a month and my digestion has improved a lot and i don't feel bloating anymore. I feel slimmer. I am not sure if I am but my clothes fit better around my belly.

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: October 04, 2007 02:55AM

Doesn't weight loss/gain also have much to do with internal body PH? and also gland functioning? Your body could be making adjustments?

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: October 05, 2007 01:03AM

Your thyroid controls your metabolic rate. But it's very similar per lb of fat-free mass per unit activity for just about everyone, +/- 5%. Sometimes the variation can be as much as 10% but usually "variances" will drop down lower when more accurate testing is performed.

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: October 05, 2007 01:41PM

ferdiewen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is it because I eat too much nuts or
> fats? Or I eat too much fruits or organic bar?

Could be. You will probably find that after you have been raw for a while you will want less nuts. What is the "organic bar" you refer to? This is probably also high in fat (nuts and seeds).

> Can we eat chocolate? What is a good brand on the
> market, like "Dagoba", I eat their dark chocolate
> or non-milk mix? Is it ok?

That chocolate is cooked, but is better than some other chocolate. Raw chocolate is the best if you want to eat chocolate, but a bit more expensive.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: October 05, 2007 01:42PM

shaine Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I haven't tried cacao beans.
> has anyone?
> what are they like?

Cacao nibs are just the beans with the skin taken off and broken up. I prefer the whole beans with skin.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables