Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Rainbow Green
Posted by: lotusblossom9 ()
Date: September 29, 2007 06:57PM

Hi everyone,

I've been reading Rainbow Green Live Food Cuisine by Gabriel Cousens. Has anyone else read this book? What did you think of it? Anyone try the Phases that he suggests?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rainbow Green
Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: September 29, 2007 07:00PM

Most of the recipes in that book are pretty high fat, at 70% fat. If you attempt to eat raw in the fashion that Cousens describes, you will be led into eating a pretty high fat diet, as he highly discourages sweet fruits. And if you take sweet fruits out of the raw diet, the calories end up coming from fat.

Date: September 29, 2007 07:54PM

There is 28 reviews from Amazon.com is you'd like to take a look.

I own the book and really enjoyed it.

[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: September 30, 2007 12:58AM

Yes I loved that book!! It was the book I used to transition to raw, and thanks to it, I found raw to be super easy. I did not do 100%, but left in some coarse cooked grains, and it worked out really well for me. I lost weight, always felt satisfied, and rarely experienced cravings.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: September 30, 2007 02:49AM

yeah, i read the book
but i mostly enjoyed looking at the electron microscope photos of the cells comparing cooked and raw

the recipes were a bit too complex for me
but i could appreciate their intent

i'm interested in his books on tachyon and spiritual development etc.
will look more into it ( perhaps next year)

Posted by: veggieluv ()
Date: September 30, 2007 01:07PM

Hi I read the book too. It was ok, maybe in some places a bit too wordy for my taste. I've tried a couple of the recipes but didn't have much success with them. I like Ani Phyo's cookbook for good recipes instead. I like fruit and find that's the easiest on my stomach so I didn't try going through the phases. I'd be interested in hearing from someone who did...

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: September 30, 2007 09:25PM

Bryan,

A lot of your advice (to me and others over time here) has been right on. I loved your breakdown of what it takes to make different kinds of salad dressings. It was so simple, even I could remember it!

Do you have any cookbooks or web sites that you recommend that have mostly SIMPLE recipes? (Anyone besides Bryan feel free to jump in here too!)

I have a few raw uncookbooks but they are more "slick" than useful... I don't want to put anyone down but some of the recipes in the books I have call for over a dozen ingredients and some really weird food combinations. That is too complicated for me.

Mostly, I eat really simply, but I was thinking I wouldn't mind having a couple of good recipe sources for times when my SAD friends are coming over.

Thanks for all you do here! This board has been a huge help to me and a source of inspiration.

Lee

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: September 30, 2007 10:49PM

Lee,

You might try the new High Energy Diet Recipe Guide. Its been revised to be more along the lines of 80-10-10, that is some of the fat in the original guide has been reduced.

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: September 30, 2007 11:15PM

You probably posted something about this, or maybe it's none of my business, but can you tell me (us here...) what your diet looks like? I'm just curious.

Thank you so much for the book recommendation. At $15, I can afford that and am going to order it. Personally, I'd be happy to have some fresh fruit or veggies with a friend, plain and simple. But my SAD friends need more... production value.

Lee

Posted by: Lejla ()
Date: October 02, 2007 05:52AM

Rainbow Green was the first raw book for me and it really helped me start raw lifestyle. Later I too, noticed that most of the other raw books have easier recipes. I am also really happy about the news that sweet fruits are OK to eat. The restrictions about them in the book was shocking to me. (My absolute favorites are fruits),I tired to follow it because of candida problem and for about a month I was on phase one but I failed. Then I did it longer but not all the way. When I add back some fruit my morning saliva test for candida was bad again. So I don`t really believe in elimination diet as a permanent solution, at least not for me. I can not live without sweet fruits anyways, so I looked for other method for restoring healthy balance of the gut.
I learn something every day from other books or from you guys what is different than the Rainbow Cuisine but still I am very happy to have that book, because of that strong first impression which convinced me about raw living.
Lejla

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables