Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Citrus Prices
Posted by: tropical ()
Date: October 01, 2007 05:26PM

I usually buy a watermelon everytime I go shopping but they seem to be going out of season. The last watermelon I bought was less than nice, and I didn't buy one for awhile, but they were still selling them so I bought another one today and it was worse than the last one.

My question is, is there a citrus season? I remember limes were 18 cents each last winter, and right now they are 28 cents. Other citrus prices seem to be higher than I remember too.

Anyone know when citrus prices will drop so I can live on citrus? Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Citrus Prices
Posted by: karennd ()
Date: October 01, 2007 05:41PM

I don't buy citrus, but the last time I bought peaches (a stone fruit) they were horrible so I assume they are out of season too and I quit buying them.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: October 01, 2007 05:44PM

my bf laughs at me when we go shopping from produce i pretty much sniff an squeeze everything while deciding what to buy .. i find when i dont smell things i usually get the underripe stuff ..my nose knows !

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: October 01, 2007 05:58PM

Citrus season (in Spain) starts in December, getting better in January, until about May.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: October 01, 2007 06:03PM

You are lucky to get limes for 28¢, they cost over 50¢ (US) here in Iowa. Lemons cost between 89¢-$1.29 and grapefruits are over $1.00. Those are prices for organic fruit. The limes are ok but the oranges are mostly dry old and sour, and the lemons are very small and don't give much juice. I've quit buying all but the limes. Pretty outrageous.

Posted by: macfly ()
Date: October 01, 2007 06:14PM

Citrus fruit generally begins ripening on the trees, at least in Florida, in early December. I know this because for the past two years I have ordered the most delicious and colorful oranges, satsuma tangerines and kumquats from Hickory Tree Grove in the winter. Highly recommended...growing up in Nebraska I had never eaten a truly tree-ripened orange before I tried their crop!

You should start seeing citrus drop in price beginning in November, when the growers start picking oranges off of the trees before they are fully ripened.

I'm not sure if California oranges/citrus comes around earlier or later than Florida citrus though.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: October 01, 2007 06:25PM

I'm smack in the middle of one of the largest citrus producing areas here in Avon Park, FL. There are some early-ripening varieties that they will pick a little green to start the juicing. As stated above, this usually starts happening in late October / early November. When the season really kicks in around December, the price steadily drops. At the height of the season in February or so....you should be able to get great Oranges for less than .99 / lb. Sometimes as low as .50 / lb!

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: tropical ()
Date: October 01, 2007 08:00PM

Thanks for the info everyone! So I only have a few more weeks!

My limes are fine too, I bought some oranges and they were mostly good, although I deliberately picked out the heavy oranges and rejected the light ones. I toss them into the air a few inches to see how heavy they are.

Maybe I'll concentrate on apples now, although I don't particularily like apples.

Those prices I quoted were for conventional, I shop at a place so cheap that they don't accept credit cards, because it raises the price by 3%, and you have to bag it yourself. I did a walkthrough of the produce section of a store that sells organic ONCE this year and the prices were shocking.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: October 01, 2007 10:57PM

I bought some new crop Fla oranges this week, these are the earliest ones.

They are so-so.

It usually needs another month or so with peak taste (to me) in January.

I live in Fla so this is sort of semi-local for me.

The watermelon I bought a few days ago is not very good.

Well, the bright side is that new crop apples are here!

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: October 01, 2007 11:49PM

Macfly,

Thank you for the Hickory Farms link. I will definitely order from them this winter. I can't wait.

Date: October 02, 2007 09:05PM

greenie

You're welcome...you will love their fruit! winking smiley

Date: November 16, 2007 03:16AM

Gotta bump this to the top...they are starting this year's pre-orders very soon. First shipment will be on December 3!

Posted by: GypsyArdor ()
Date: November 16, 2007 03:02PM

Thanks, macfly! I just sent an email to them for our order!

Love,

Gypsy

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: November 18, 2007 04:40PM

I love out of season watermelon, year round is ok for me

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: November 18, 2007 04:44PM

The citrus we are getting now here is pretty awesome

loving satsuma and tangerine variety rather than the larger oranges

Posted by: uti ()
Date: November 19, 2007 04:32AM

Organic Satsuma Mandarians are in season in California. I've gotten some home growns and bought 5 lb boxes for about $2 per pound last week. The other varieties of tangerines will come in December and January - a favorite is the Murcot. Valencia oranges are plentiful right now and good. Navels are around. I don't know about grapefruit seasonal timing.

Posted by: rawfrancois ()
Date: November 19, 2007 05:06AM

The watermelon here is out of season but it's still very good and relatively inexpensive. With citrus fruits in the winter, I usually buy a box of clementine tangerines and it's less expensive than purchasing individual fruits.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: November 19, 2007 09:25AM

I got red navels 12 for $2 this week. I don't know how much they weigh. They are pretty big-- I guess around 1/2 lb each.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables