Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

powdered hemp leaf?
Posted by: rankdurian ()
Date: October 03, 2007 10:56AM

I was recently watching a youtube chocolate preparation video by Shazzie and one of the ingredients was powdered hemp leaf. Is that even legal? where would one purchase the previously mentioned hemp leaf powder? I have never seen it in Whole Foods. Maybe the neighborhood in the next town has it? She stated that the ingredients were super foods that makes us feel love ... will it make me "feel love"? While I am not a hemp officianado I think that it smacks of illegality. Maybe it's legal in England?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: powdered hemp leaf?
Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: October 03, 2007 06:39PM

Hemp used for food is different to hemp used for "drug" purposes. There is no (like less than 0.1%) THC in hemp leaf powder you would buy to eat.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Date: October 03, 2007 10:56PM

I know that there are different strains of hemp plant. I heard that some are or rather have more THC than others. I know that hemp nuts have some good stuff but what would be the nutritional value of hemp leaf? I admit to being uneducated in this arena and I am looking to gain some understanding.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: October 03, 2007 11:04PM

in our continuing efforts to simply answer the question and provide information without making other feel silly...

[www.rawguru.com]

the below quote on the site is quite a statement

"Hemp leaf powder builds strength and muscle mass"

gotta get me some of that for sure
i wonder if i even need to lift weights anymore, or just eat the powder and sit back in my lounger!

Posted by: cheerleader ()
Date: October 03, 2007 11:19PM

hemp leaf as well as hemp seeds have nothing to do with 'hemp, the drug'. hemp is also used to make clothes and paper.
in Europe, hemp seeds are perfectly legal, I assume the same goes for the US?

Date: October 03, 2007 11:34PM

Must be protein rich stuff. Maybe I can find some nutritional info regarding it some where online.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: October 03, 2007 11:39PM

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 03, 2007 11:41PM

'hemp, the drug'
there is no such thing. hemp is a distant cousin to marijuana, hemp is not a drug at all, not by any stretch of the imagination. it's legal in canada but regulated, not just anyone can grow it.
i suppose it's chlorophyll rich but so is anything green. perhaps it's just a "fad" item? can't see how it's any better than kale and certainly not nearly as tasty! you wouldn't eat a plain old hemp leaf, way too tough. why bother with the powder i wonder? well, i suppose i'll just have to wait for the rawguru nutritional breakdown that will be "available shortly".

Posted by: cheerleader ()
Date: October 04, 2007 12:04AM

yes, I meant marijuana.

Date: October 04, 2007 12:08AM

Fresh,
all that info was for hemp nuts and not the leaf. I know about the seeds but If you have any info up your sleeve on the leaf let me know.

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: October 04, 2007 09:17AM

Just to clear up the technicalities of the English language, the word hemp does include "drug" varieties of cannabis/marijuana, it is the name for all varieties. Hemp is the English word and "Cannabis Sativa" is the Latin word, and of course there are many different slang words for "drug" varieties.

Hemp leaf is highly alkalising and high in minerals. Young hemp leaves are not too tough to eat, I sometimes grow them like you would grow sunflower greens.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: jono ()
Date: October 04, 2007 12:02PM

>>I sometimes grow them like you would grow sunflower greens.

Sounds cool Rob, in the US we can't legally buy viable hempseeds to sprout. Our government is slow but I think industrial hemp farming will be legalized in a few years because the states are pushing for it. Time will tell.

Posted by: Custom ()
Date: October 04, 2007 01:42PM

Jono... Hemp just this summer has been legalized to be grown commercially here in the US. A couple of months ago the USDA approved certain states could grow hemp, North Dakota being one of them. (I live in ND) However, the farmer has to go through a lot of red tape to do so and as previously mentioned it is highly regulated

Elayne

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 04, 2007 04:16PM

i get your point roberoo, i just think these days hemp is generally used to refer to the non-thc rich variety. there is a LOT of activism to differentiate the two.

and now some questions~
"Hemp leaf is highly alkalising and high in minerals."
more so than other greens like kale etc?

"I sometimes grow them like you would grow sunflower greens."
at what size do you harvest them? just a small one leaf sprout? how big is the leaf at this point? what do you think of the flavour?

"Young hemp leaves are not too tough to eat,"
yes, this is the point at which they are vulnerable to being eaten by wildlife as well. it doesn't take long before even the deer won't nibble on them though.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables