Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

raw food and illness
Posted by: cricri ()
Date: October 03, 2007 12:09PM

Hello evrybody!

I've been absent around here for a while because I've been battling illnesss: thyroid desease. I had a large cyst , which the doctor advised to remove surgically. I hate the thought of surgery but I was also afraid to let it grow larger. At the same time hunger pangs were more forceful and raw food pricy and scarce (I live in Romania and there's little variety of raw food). I starteed eating cooked again as I could not make it with just salads and fruit. 2 weeks into SAD (not quite - no meat and all home cooked without the preservatives of shop bought food) my cyst starting receding. Now I can't feel it at all (it was well visible) and I'm going for a new check-up and hopefully I won't need surgery anymore. Why do you think this happened? I love the idea of being raw and I love raw food. I just can't do it right in Romania - nuts cost a fortune and most are not raw or organic, I can't find avocadoes anymore or any raw cereal for that matter and many other things that you mention I haven't even heard of. We hope to immigrate to Canada in May or June next year and I'll give it another try, slowly.

Has any of you any medical explanation why I got this problem as it is obviously food related (my metabolism went really nuts as I was continuously hungry without the more filling foods, while our budget went into sgock)? And if I try it again, any advice how to go about it without messing my metabolism again and getting to the knife eventually?

Thank you all!
cricri

love,
peace
cricri

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: raw food and illness
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: October 03, 2007 01:08PM

Don't try to stick to some BIG picture of 'raw food'. Rather, set very small goals to gradually increase your level of fresh, raw fruits and vegetables for a lifetime. What more can you do? There is no magic-bullet. Just my opinions.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: karennd ()
Date: October 03, 2007 04:55PM

Maybe you should compare your cooked food diet (which sounds pretty healthy compared to most - no meat and homemade) to your raw food diet and see if you had a higher fat percentage in your raw food diet. If so, maybe your body couldn't tolerate that. There is a website where you can input what you eat and it will calculate it for you, but I can't remember it. It has 'fit' in the link. Maybe somebody else can tell you what it is.

Posted by: karennd ()
Date: October 03, 2007 05:03PM

I found it [www.fitday.com] .

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: October 04, 2007 12:36AM

You mean the cyst appeared while you were raw and shrunk after going back to cooked food?

I've been wondering a lot about this kind of thing and wondering if it's because reducing toxic load on your body causes it to flush out so many toxins that they become pooled or backlogged in certain areas.

For example:
I've been around 90+% raw for around 10 months. I've seen lots of improvements in my health and appearance, but many things have happened that I didn't expect. About 3 weeks ago, an area of my forearm suddenly developed a patch of freckles - like the freckles you see on older people's skin. I think it could be that some stuff has affected the pigmentation there - just based on things I've read, etc. Maybe it will go away as I continue to cleanse - maybe in a year or so.

There are other things like this that I wonder about, since they seem to be symptoms of bad diet, not good diet.

Maybe the cooked food slowed down your cleansing and allowed your body to work on the cyst material .

I don't know if this makes sense, but there must be some explanation for this kind of occurance.

What do you think? You could continue to sprout beans, right? And forage greens and weeds?

Posted by: love ()
Date: October 05, 2007 12:30AM

Hello!

Brassica vegetables (only raw brassica's, because when they are cooked it lessens the effect, a lot!) "can" cause thyroid problems. You could look up thyroid problems, and foods to not eat so much of for the thyroid on "Google". Are you eating a lot of broccoli (in there raw form), cabbage, swiss chard, spinach, brussle sprouts, etc.?

aquadecoco, what do you eat in a day? Do you eat a lot of fat or sugary fruit?

Love and light to all!

love

Posted by: veganathlete ()
Date: October 05, 2007 01:49AM

hey cricri,

I also was diagnosed with a thyroid problem a little more than a year ago - I have been treating it naturally with Kelp and Barley Green. I have had huge improvements by doing this. There is information on the internet, just make sure not to over dose on Kelp (can lead to problems). Also somebody told me that if you eat other seaweeds with the kelp it balances out the bad effects of too much Kelp.

I hope this may be of some help - thyroid problems are a killer sad smiley

Posted by: Novelista ()
Date: October 06, 2007 02:58AM

I haven't been on here in a long long time, and it's funny because I was searching for posts on thyroid illness, and there you were! I am battling low thyroid (Hashimoto's), which I've had for about a year and a half. I am currently experimenting with a high greens mostly raw diet (trying to be all raw, but the cravings get the best of me sometimes).

I was all raw for about a month of so some time back and actually got worse, and I'm thinking it was because I wasn't really paying attention to the acid/alkaline balance. Now that I'm doing that, I am seeing results: Much more energy, but it's only been a couple weeks, so I can't quite tell where it's going -- my goal is to get off meds. We'll see.

If I'm having a hard time sticking to raw I really just focus on staying as alkaline as possible for that meal. Maybe you should consider such an approach, focusing on alkalinity rather than just raw, since ultimately to be alkaline is the goal. Of course it may be easier to do so all raw, but the slight shift in perspective might be useful for you.

As for iodine in kelp or anything else, I would personally be wary of that. My doctor told me that what probably triggered my hypothyroid -- what triggers it for many women -- is high levels of iodine in prenatal vitamins. Usually I'm quite wary of medical explanations for things since they are so controlled by big Pharma interests. However, this opinion seemed to go against all that, and it makes some sense to me logically: if you're getting too much iodine, which artificially stimulates thyroid production, thereby causing imbalance, perhaps the body tries to "shut it down" by creating an autoimmune attack on your thyroid. (By the way, low levels of thyroid antibodies, like, say 1-20 or some such thing, are considered normal: mine were at 800 recently, just for comparison's sake.) My doctor told me that the only thing to avoid, food-wise, is anything with high levels of iodine. He was not concerned about brassicas (so-called goiterogens), and I have never noticed that I had any sensitivities to them. Of course I AM trying to avoid quite a few other foods too (cooked, processed, etc.), but I'm just relating the info I've been given which makes the most sense to me. By the way, I had two other doctors tell me -- prior to getting the one I have now -- that I SHOULD eat a ton of seaweed, which I kept doing in massive amounts and only continued to get worse. So please research that issue further, if nothing else.

I will post here if -- EHM!! -- WHEN I have some progress to report. I just can't believe that there is no solution to a problem that the medical community has truthfully never even TRIED to solve any other way but through meds.

Best of luck, and keep us posted.

Peace!

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: October 06, 2007 03:08AM

You could read Prism's person experience with Iodine, if you haven't already.

I'm wary of supplements for lots of reasons (experience) but she has had great results so far.

Posted by: veganathlete ()
Date: October 07, 2007 02:22AM

Low or very high intakes of iodine can cause hyperthyroidism. So obviously in novelista case it is due to high intake. In my case it is due to low intake of iodine.

Just as ya'll have said, before treating your thyroid do lots and lots of research. When I first started taking kelp for my thyroid, i didn't do an adequate amount of research - ended up overdosing for a couple days and man it was aweful...but it did make me research...lol.

There are many different approaches on treating thyroid (my sister, mom, and aunt all have thyroid problems and each one is treating it differently)

I hope this helps and good luck with treating your thyroid because i know it is aweful with it out of wack

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: October 10, 2007 09:50PM

One should not be fearful of taking higher than normal doses of Iodine imo. Many women find they get symptoms of hypothryodism when pregnant, as I was, and I wasn't taking any prenatal vitamins. I simply needed more iodine than my body was getting, or used to getting. If I'd been supplemented with Iodine, there would have been no need for thyroid meds, which they kept me on for 31 years, until I learned enough about Iodine to come off the thyroid meds which I did by myself with great results.

You should always research things like this yourself, since it's your health. As long as you have a symptom and even if it's being treated by an MD or ND or yourself..as long as you have that symptom, you should keep learning and researching it imo.

I would not have surgery myself for a cyst, I would treat it by taking Lugols Iodine, but I know enough now to know how to do it, and not be afraid of taking high doses of it.

You can always go to [www.curezone.com] and read all you can about iodine and people's personal experiences like mine at the Iodine Supplementaion Forum..not the Support group but the supplementation forum as that is where all the great info. if to be found along with links to Dr.'s that treat actual people with higher than usual doses of Iodine and their results. You just may be very glad you did! I know I am!

Love,
Prism

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2007 09:50PM by Prism.

Date: October 10, 2007 09:57PM

I also have something to say about the feelings you get when you take Iodine, the feeling worse part..it's detox of heavy metals and is expected. There is a protocol to follow when heavy detox happens, or whenever you feel you need help with those symptoms. It's not the Iodine making you feel worse, just a case of your body excreting and getting rid of or trying to rid itself of things that are making it ill like chlorine, flouride, bromide, etc. Iodine diplaces those metals, including mercury!

I had light detox due to having all my mercury fillings out before using Iodine, a couple cleanses, including a 30 day parasite cleanse that was very, very beneficial..can't say enough good things about that cleanse, and various other things! Depending on the health, and toxicity of your body, will determine what you want detox load you want to handle in taking Iodine, and whether you follow the protocols for help with the detoxing. It's up to you, once you learn how to do it..you know the saying..if I can learn it, anyone can!

Love,
Prism

Date: November 28, 2007 10:20PM

For more info. to my experience with taking Lugol's Iodine and other related issues as in protocols, finding some unbiased info. etc. you can see my raw food diary called Raw Notes on this website.

If anyone visits the curezone.com site for Iodine info. my suggestion is to search and read on all the Iodine forums they have and other info. there, and to also find other websites with info. on Iodine and your particular health issues. And remember you have your own issues and body, so try to keep yourself from being 'swayed' when you may have an intuition to go in another direction or with another protocol. I would suggest you work with your health care professional whenever possible.

Love,
Prism

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables