Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

raw mushroom?
Posted by: Lejla ()
Date: October 03, 2007 08:29PM

I saw a recipe on the youtube. It is dehydrated mushroom with olive oil, lemon juice and garlic(powder). I practically become addicted to it. I eat it 3-4 times a week with different meals. As I know some raw eater not even consider mushroom as food (Patenaude).Do you eat mushroom? I`d appreciate some opinions about it.
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: raw mushroom?
Posted by: Rawrrr! ()
Date: October 03, 2007 08:35PM

The mushroom is a fun guy!

Posted by: karennd ()
Date: October 03, 2007 09:05PM

I eat mushrooms in moderation. I like them. I just read an article that says they provide Vitamin D, I haven't verified to see if that is true.

You might be loving the fifth taste - umami - that comes from the glutamic acid in mushrooms and other foods.

What exactly is umami?

The flavour of food is determined by a number of different factors including taste, smell, colour, temperature and overall appearance, as well as by physiological or psychological conditions. Some of the most important factors are the basic tastes of sweet, sour, salty, bitter and umami.
It was Japanese scientist Dr. Kikunae Ikeda who first discovered that glutamic acid, an amino acid, was responsible for the umami taste of Konbu.
Although there is no English word for it, umami is a savoury taste imparted by glutamate and ribonucleotides, including inosinate and guanylate, which occur naturally in many foods including meat, fish, vegetables and dairy products.
The taste of umami itself is subtle. It blends well with other tastes to expand and round out flavours. Most people don’t recognise umami when they encounter it, but it can be detected when eating ripe tomatoes, parmesan cheese, cured ham, mushrooms, meat and fish. Umami plays an important role making food taste delicious.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: October 03, 2007 09:07PM

-Love that joke....anyway......heh..heh....

-It appears to me that the mushroom is a LOT closer to the plant category than the animal category. My opinion is that if it helps you to transition......and you regard it as a vital food....I say go for it. Lord knows I ate TONS of the things during my vegetable years! Ha! ha! I would take portabello mushroom caps.....and stuff them with garlic & lemon marinated sprouts and sesame seeds.....yum!

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: diamond dave ()
Date: October 03, 2007 09:18PM

But David I note you say "transition". I was going to ask this question as just today I watched the same Karen Knowler video on YouTube making this exact mushroom dish. While there's no doubt she knows her stuff as the The Raw Food Coach, I'm dubious of all the spices & oils.

Funny that I'm questioning Ms. Knowler with all my one month of going raw! And furthermore, as if I've been successful at being 100% raw...

Oh, and Karen - another fabulous response. Was unfamiliar with the word 'umami' but now I've been enlightened. Fascinating!

My best to all,

DWP

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2007 09:19PM by diamond dave.

Posted by: Lejla ()
Date: October 04, 2007 02:58AM

Thank you all the help.
Rawrrr, mole or not you look good. Just like Carol Alt smiling smiley)
Karennd that was VERY informative. Awesome!
Thank you David, if you say so, I``ll go for it. Viva mushroom!
Diamond, I think you right, I dried the mushroom with much smaller amount of oil than Karen K. and it is still quite oily at the end.
Lejla

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: October 04, 2007 08:25AM

Could you please post a link to the recepi?

Posted by: diamond dave ()
Date: October 04, 2007 07:08PM

Here's the link to the YouTube video from Karen:

[www.youtube.com]

My best,

David

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables