Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Complex Carbs
Posted by: veganathlete ()
Date: October 04, 2007 03:22AM

Hello everyone,

I am new here. I've been almost all raw for about a month now (i think). Well of course friends start to ask questions. The other day some of my teammates asked me how I get my complex carbs and they stumped me - i had no clue. I know with being an athlete we have always been taught that complex carbs (breads, pasta, etc...) are essential for performance. Just wondering if you all knew of any whole foods that are considered to be complex carbs...and if they are really as important for an athlete as the world makes them out to be?

Any information would be highly appreciated smiling smiley thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Complex Carbs
Posted by: karennd ()
Date: October 04, 2007 04:58AM

All food is made up of one or more of the following: carbs, protein, fat, and water. The veggies and some of the fruit you are eating are complex carbs.

I found these definitions online.

Simple carbohydrates are digested quickly. Many simple carbohydrates contain refined sugars and few essential vitamins and minerals. Examples include fruits, fruit juice, milk, yogurt, honey, molasses, maple syrup and sugar.

Complex carbohydrates take longer to digest and are usually packed with fiber, vitamins and minerals. Examples are vegetables, breads, cereals, legumes and pasta.

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: October 04, 2007 07:31AM

You could sprout beans - easy, cheap and full of carbs.

I eat raw yam and really like it, though it's a bit strange on it's own - it's better in a salad.

Date: October 04, 2007 05:17PM

thanks ya'll

That makes more sense now smiling smiley
I am going to have to try the yam - i love adding new thngs to my salads

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: October 04, 2007 09:30PM

veganathletes,

For athletes, the best place to get carbohydrates on a raw diet is to eat sweet fruits like bananas, mangos, figs, etc. The carbs in fruit are very easy to digest and take very little energy. Complex carbs, or starch, on a raw diet is not very palatable nor desirable. For example, can you imagine eating a meal of only raw potatoes?

In addition to carbohydrates, fresh fruit are loaded with fiber, water, vitamins and minerals.

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: October 04, 2007 10:22PM

Sprouted grains.

Course grains give me very long-sustained energy for very little volume. When I eat grains for breakfast, I need very little food the rest of the day.

Date: October 05, 2007 05:32PM

thanks sunshine and bryan

I hope that eventually i will be able to try the sprouted grains but right now I am in college which makes it difficult.
I love eating frut so this is perfect ;-)

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: October 06, 2007 12:31AM

Fruit is def. the best.
Some newbies find it less than filling at first.

When I first adopted a NH diet, I was an athlete expending around 3500 calories per day and found myself with mixed results: I recovered really well from all training but I had a hard time eating enough calories, and wouldn't have energy to do things other than train and sleep......plus at the time, I might have been eating too many nuts (almonds) since there wasn't any 'bad news' about this at the time.

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: October 06, 2007 12:48AM

the answer for your friends is: you don't, aka there is none, its like asking where do you get your MSG?

we don't have the enzymes to actually assimilate complex carbs anyway...so let them have all they care for...and just eat what you find works well for you...and don't attempt to justify it to anyone.

the only thing as I understand it that is essential to performance...is strong recovery (aka lack of having to process or remove crap), and better yet...and this might not be scientific..is being clean internally..which requires minimal maintenance from outsider stimulation!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables