Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Do you eat the seeds in Watermellon?
Date: October 05, 2007 07:40PM

Is it okay to eat the seeds in watermellon? If so, is there any nutritional value in them? I find myself swallowing some by accident, but I was wondering if I can just chew on them and then swallow them.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do you eat the seeds in Watermellon?
Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: October 05, 2007 07:42PM

Yes, it's fine to eat them, I do. I'm sure there is nutritional value to them, they are related to pumpkins and people pay money for pumpkin seeds!

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: diamond dave ()
Date: October 05, 2007 07:51PM

Dee,

I must agree that I don't feel the seeds are bad for you at all and likely contain some nutritional value. I've found since going raw I enjoy throwing things in my blender such as cantaloupe seeds and whole kiwis, apples, and pears. Where I'd throw away the core to those fruits in years past, I now enjoy. I've not tried watermelon yet just because it's so darn expensive at my local supermarket. Still, I'll buy some this weekend and experiment since you've given me the idea.

Best wishes!

David

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 05, 2007 08:06PM

watermelon seeds are ok to eat but apple seeds contain cyanogenic glycosides which release cyanide when ingested. there is some info here that says it would take an awful lot of apple seeds to kill you but in the interest of terrific health, not just avoiding death, i'd think avoiding even small doses of cyanide is a good idea.
[www.snopes.com]

Posted by: diamond dave ()
Date: October 05, 2007 08:40PM

Interesting reading, Coco. I stand corrected. Maybe that's why the wife is so insistent on adding apples to my smoothies...

smiling smiley

David

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: October 05, 2007 08:50PM

lol ! David ! no ! tongue sticking out smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: October 05, 2007 09:24PM

Yes its fine to eat them. And there is nutritional value in them. If they taste good to you, then eat them. I used to. But nowadays, I just swallow them whole, without chewing. I prefer to eat just the sweet melon without the seeds, but spitting them out takes too much work. So I just swallow them without chewing them or breaking them up.

Date: October 05, 2007 09:48PM

ppfftt, dave!!

Posted by: shaine ()
Date: October 06, 2007 10:32AM

If you look for the nutrition facts of watermelon seeds through a search, you'll find that it has a lot of fiber, protein, and considerable fat content--very similar to the makeup of most nuts and seeds. I used to buy licorice watermelon seeds from a chinese market in Portland OR. so much chewing.

thanks for the cyanide flag on those apple seeds....I've been eating the whole apple when I don't feel like carrying the core to a waste basket here in NYC! eek!

measure twice, cut once.

"In Watermelon Sugar the deeds were done and done again as my life is done in watermelon sugar." ~r.brautigan

I make paintings

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: October 06, 2007 11:09AM

shaine you look like you are really enjoying that melon smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: October 06, 2007 11:43AM

oh yes. and that weekend in Big Sur, where the photo was taken!

measure twice, cut once.

"In Watermelon Sugar the deeds were done and done again as my life is done in watermelon sugar." ~r.brautigan

I make paintings

Date: October 06, 2007 03:37PM

shaine, eat it all but plant the seeds wherever you see dirt. that's what the apple wants from us anyhow!

Posted by: uma ()
Date: October 07, 2007 03:30AM

Shaine, that is such a cool picture!

Love,
Uma

Date: October 07, 2007 11:03AM

Thanks Uma!

The friend who took it has so many pictures of this kind...he jokes that we could have a photography show with the theme "shaina eating fruit."

measure twice, cut once.

I make paintings

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables