Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

hair loss- need help!!!!!
Posted by: rawallison ()
Date: April 27, 2006 05:28AM

Hi, everyone!
Since I started raw in january, 2006, I've been losing my hair around the crown of my head. I've gotten advice to eat more protein, such as through green smoothies, nuts and seeds, and brewer's yeast. I've had no success so far. If anyone has had hair loss from eating raw, what did you do to resolve the problem? How long did it take for your hair to start growing back? Daily, I take a multivitamin daily, eat fruit, hummus, salads, vegetables, avocados, nuts and seeds, and sometimes raw milk cheese. Those of you who have had this experience, please help me. I don't want to give up raw, and I don't want to wear wigs all summer!

<><><><><><>
Eating raw is a challenge for me, but it's the healthiest lifestyle I know.
See you at Raw Odyssey!
[blog.rawodyssey.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: hair loss- need help!!!!!
Posted by: veloria ()
Date: April 27, 2006 07:34AM

Are you kidding me?! 56 lbs! That is INCREDIBLE!

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: April 27, 2006 11:37AM

I think the clue as to WHY you're losing the hair is in your post... losing 56lbs since Jan - wow - you're going too fast girl too fast!!!

But it's too late to turn the clock back, so let's concentrate on how you can solve this NOW ...

stress can affect hair growth, so it's important to stay chilled and positive. Lay out in the sun, enjoy yourself, visualise your hair growing long and thick.. stick a picture of yourself with your hair looking great, or even a model from a magazine, onto the bathroom mirror, and focus on that rather than peering in the mirror checking for more hair loss...

too hippyish?

ok let's get practical....

give yourself a good head massage regularly. Stimulate the blood supply to the head.. nutrients can only get up there in the blood supply... try inverted postures.. headstand/handstand if you're into yoga, or just hang upside down from somewhere!

B vits are said to be great for the hair: found in fermented foods, molasses (although this isn't raw, but it's supposed to be excellent for your hair), KOMBUCHA is high in B vits and supposed to be AMAZING for hair growth
(check out [www.harmonikireland.com])

silicon is another important mineral, so keep eating your cucumbers.. juiced/blended/whole, whatever. And your other greens of course.. green smoothies are a great way to do this.

Many people report amazing results when they stop using 'regular' shampoo - many simply wash with water (after an initial greasy period, it's ok) or you could try uncleharrys.com, they have some natural haircare products (I've been using their ayurvedic one, it's a bit messy, but works well)

if you're really desperate and up for a major paradigm shift you could try.... urine therapy.... yah I know gross, but I reckon if I was losing my hair I'd try anything lol!
[www.universal-tao.com]
you can wash your hair in it or even drink it if you're feeling game...it seems to provide miraculous results for people who have tried it!

hope I haven't overloaded you with all this info!

good luck xXx

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: April 27, 2006 12:28PM

(... stooopid board.. can't edit posts... mutter mutter grumble grumble....)

here's a link to info about being shampoo-free, with some great tips on natural remedies for hair:

[www.livejournal.com]

x

Posted by: rosemary ()
Date: April 27, 2006 03:29PM

you can always add protein with hemp protein powder!
X

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 27, 2006 04:58PM

Sorry, no time to read all the posts, but I actually saw for myself someone whose hairs are growing back in after using lots of assimilable chlorophyll in her diet. She was using Ancient Sun brand bluegreen algae ("Crystal Manna"winking smiley.

Greens and minerals seem to be very key for hair.

Date: April 30, 2006 04:47AM

Those are all great ideas - except, maybe, the urine (haha!!). I have heard that the silica in cucumbers are helpful and I have tried it in smoothies. I have lost lots of weight in the past, but never 25lbs in one month. I'm slowing down now- about 10 lbs a month now, but I am hoping I haven't done permanent damage to my hair. Thanks again for the information. Someone also mentioned the chlorophyll. is that expensive?

<><><><><><>
See you at Raw Odyssey!
[blog.rawodyssey.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2006 04:48AM by rawallison.

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: April 30, 2006 05:54AM

I lost lots of hair when I became raw, too. I've notice a remarked improvement in my hair and nail strength with eating raw egg yolks, taking MSM, and taking supplements.

As for chlorophyll, I've been taking that to increase my blood count as I lost quite a bit during the cycle. So, not sure what it does for my hair but it looks fine.

Also, Unsulfured Plantation Black Syrup Molasses is excellent to replenish minerals for the hair. I take at least one tablespoon a cup of hot water and drink it daily. It keeps your hair its true color rather than allowing it to grey or whiten.

Good luck.
Therese

Posted by: jackie ()
Date: April 30, 2006 02:00PM

I was losing hair due to thyroid medication. A LOT of hair loss, handfulls daily. Changed meds, and it slowed down a lot. But it didn't cease.

After doing some research, I also started taking evening primrose oil capsules daily (for the GLA and omega 3 benefit) and that was the key to stopping hair loss for me. I added fish oil capsules, too, to keep up my HDL which dropped like a stone while 100% raw.

I also use Red Star Nutritional Yeast - Vegan Blend for B vits (especially B-12) and I eat lots of leafy greens: beet greens, spinach, kale, turnip greens (get the small ones, the big ones are wayyyy toooo bitter IMHO), watercress, dandelion greens when available here, etc.

Now here's the kicker: I have very long hair, usually wear it in a braid. Therefore, I don't really see any changes in my hair.

I recently made a pony tail high on my head, and there were LOTS of hairs at the back of my neck that weren't long enough to be gathered up that high - only about 6 inches long. This looks like I had a haircut in the under layers of my hair, that's just starting to grow back. Well, NO, I did not have a haircut. This is all new growth!

I'm totally amazed.

I can't tell you exactly which ONE of the things I'm doing is making my hair grow again, but this particular combo works very well for me personally.

Good luck to you, hope you find the answer to your problem.

Posted by: ariel ()
Date: May 01, 2006 03:45PM

i don't know if this is vegan or not, but BIOTIN is amazing. helped me out big time when i lost hair when i first went vegetarian. also, make sure you're getting enough vitamin E, fats (flaxseed oil helped me), and raw yoghurt.

i think also eating more greens than fruits would help out too. anyways, hope everything works out for you soon! keep up posted smiling smiley and congrats so far on your amazing accomplishment with your weight loss!!

Posted by: jdc5390 ()
Date: June 26, 2006 02:59AM

I believe that people have Metabolic types like Mercola.com says.

I know for a fact that I'am a protein type, Theres fat types and carb types.

Since i am a protein type i eat raw meat, eggs, hemp, brewers yeast, and raw cheese, trying to go for raw milk to but hard so far.

Anyways my hair was falling alot for a while and i remember i used to eat alot of Pasterized no fat cottage cheese, and like oven roast turkey breast w/ some veggies and fruits once a day. egg whites(believing this was healthy)

once i started raw meat Mad energy,after a month or two my hair has drastically gotten stronger now after a pull i only lose one if "lucky" rather than the usual 6.
If you were to start raw start with eggs.
2- .5 yolk
4- 1 yolk
6- 1.5 ....
humans are designed to eat meat hence the protein enzymes in our body, and our body is like 50 protein(weight) just some more than others. I try to not eat meat and i just get really really hungry and want meat or eggs or hemp, so its better to go for what u need in ur body. some people can get away without eating meat because there most likely carb types so the protein in veggies and fruit and nuts are more than enough.
Read more on Mercola.com VERY INTERESTING!!! If you need to comment to me email me at jdc5390@aol.com
-------------------------------------------------------
[www.mercola.com]
[www.mercola.com]
[www.mercola.com]
[www.mercola.com] ( look at part 2 raw food negatives)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2006 03:00AM by jdc5390.

Posted by: luna_sky_1 ()
Date: June 26, 2006 03:03AM

concidering vegans don't eat meat, or any animal products, no thank you.

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: June 26, 2006 05:29AM

I was experiencing hair loss after 6 months of being raw. Since then, my diet progressed to a high-fruit diet, and I have no more hair problems.

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Date: June 26, 2006 06:29AM

I'm a nut nut, so I think I'm getting enough fats. Besides as thick as my hair is, I doubt I'd notice any loss unless clumps of it started falling out.

Date: July 06, 2006 05:48PM

Thanks everyone for all of the great input. I got my blood tested and found I have "borderline low" protein and calcium levels, but everything was still in the normal range. I'm thinking I might be one of those people who needs high protein, like one of the posters above mentioned. Gabriel Cousins also talks about how some vegetarians need more protein than others do.

I saw a dietician who made some recommendations aimed at reversing my hair loss, but she kept in mind that I eat mostly raw and that I didn't want to eat meat other than fish (which I do consider to be meat!), and that I was willing to eat cheese. I'm in the process of changing my diet a bit to accomodate her recommendations. In a month I'll see if the changes have helped. I will look into unsulfured plantation black syrup molasses. I'm not sure about the MSM, cholorphyll, and biotin mainly because of the cost, but I've heard that all of these are good for hair, though.

I posted in my blog about my dietician visit if anyone wants more in-depth info about what she saw in my blood test and what she recommends to reverse the problem: [rawodyssey.blogspot.com]

<><><><><><>
See you at Raw Odyssey!
[blog.rawodyssey.com]

Date: July 06, 2006 06:44PM

that's soundin' like a step in the right dirrection! I was wondering where you've been! LOLOL! ! !

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 06, 2006 08:19PM

By the way, I have lost 10 lbs. a month on raw diet before without noticing any hair loss. (I lost 60 lbs. in 6 months in 2002.)

Posted by: Star241 ()
Date: August 02, 2006 10:36PM

How to regrow your hair,

If you're near a wholesale food market...You will need 10kg of carrots, 2 trayfuls of spinach or parsley and 2 boxes of cucumbers.

Juice am, noon and pm 8oz of a blend of the above.

3 times a day, to give extra kick put a tablespoon of lemon juice and blend.

My hair didn't grow after it fell out in gradually 2 years ago, so to jumpstart the regrowth, I did the above. It grew back to 4inches lovely and thick in 2 months.

You could always try 2-4oz of wheatgrass juice morning and evening if you can stand the taste.

Massaging your head with coconut oil will stimulate your scalp as well (although I didn't).

Hope all goes well for you!

Star

Posted by: Jen Rose ()
Date: August 03, 2006 01:28AM

Try E3Live...I've heard LOTS of good things about it helping to regrow hair.

www.E3Live.com

Jen Rose

"You must first unlearn the lies, and then you will have room for the truth"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables