Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

fruit question
Posted by: smoothie ()
Date: October 06, 2007 06:47PM

hello you lovely 'good vibes' lot xxx

whenever i eat fruit on a empty tummy, as you are sposed to, like my morning smoothie, well...within about 10 minutes i am gsaking, dizzy, weak an tearfuyl. i guess its a blood sugar thing??? but i *dont* have diabetes, i am fine.

any idea what i could do to avoid this cos i LOVE smoothies but i can only seem to have them after food or in the evening xx

if anyone has any suggestuions i would totally love it and smile xx THANK YOU GUYS

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fruit question
Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: October 06, 2007 08:04PM

What are you putting in your smoothies? It may be that the combination of foods in your smoothie are too complex for your digestive system right now. Here's a simple smoothie I like:

3-4 bananas
handful of strawberries
a little water to help blend (though this is optional if you blender can blend without it)

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: October 06, 2007 08:08PM

Bananas might be too heavy for a morning smoothie for some. Keep it really simple and try no more than 3 and just water. Better yet, wait an hour or two and just drink water and let your system wake up first.

Posted by: karennd ()
Date: October 07, 2007 06:46AM

Yeah, skipping breakfast works best for some. Have you tried your smoothie for lunch? And keep it simple, like Bryan suggests.

Date: October 07, 2007 08:24AM

i have found as long as i dont have it in the monirning, and have it after lunch or after supper, then i am fine with it more or less. but there is no way i can do it a.m, i just cant! thanks for all yor help xx

Posted by: Lightform ()
Date: October 07, 2007 08:42AM

hmm.. first thing I'd be wondering is what the heck are they doing to the fruit ?!?
I know that the commercial stuff gets hit with some fairly nasty chemicals, maybe the source of the particular fruit your using is in question ?

Date: October 07, 2007 08:49AM

i doubt it...i been reacting in this way for 20 years and lived all all over the world...

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: October 07, 2007 12:04PM

You will probably be exceptionally sensitive during the morning hours following your nightly fast. I would introduce fruits or other items you are sensitive to....very slowly....and at a level that does not cause the reaction you describe. In the mean time...continue to detox....and hit YOUR raw food goals/percentage. You MAY find your sensitivities/allergies changing or even disapearing over time.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: October 07, 2007 12:21PM

smoothie,

let's say that nobody can figure out what is causing the problem that you describing.

what to do?

instead of focusing on the smoothie, focus on doing healthful things.

what is the rest of your diet?
(what you ate for dinner may actually be the cause.
i used to get shaky too)

can that be improved?

do you eat only when truly hungry?
can you delay eating until later around 11 or noon?

can you try to eat a piece of fully ripe fruit whole by itself instead of a smoothie, chewing slowly in a relaxed state?

if you can't delay eating then your body is not as clean as it could be, and it may get shaky from eating or not eating.

all of the above will impact your bodily state at all times, and will impact your reactions to any food coming in.

enough exercise?
rest?

after improving those things, if you choose to do so, then see if anything has changed.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: October 07, 2007 03:16PM

hmmm i used to (3-4 years ago_) get really gaggy trying to eat bananas and other fruit first thing after i woke up .... but i also use to get nauseated slamming back my first cup of coffe of the day back in the day ... i think my body just doesnt like to be assaulted too soon upon getting verticle

Maybe try and get out of the mindset/dogma that breakfast is the most important thing you shovel down ...really its not .. wait untill you really want that smoothie or peice of fruit ..listen to your bodys clues

to me its like this ... im like my little ol' car ... he (pedro the wondercar) used to liek it when i jumped in turned the key an roared off without so much as a blink .. now a days .. he likes it when i warm him up a little and cruise for awhile before really letting him ripsnort and roar around for the day

my body is my vehicle hehe

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: October 07, 2007 07:54PM

thank you i really appreciate that help you all xx

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: October 12, 2007 06:53AM

never heard of such a thing and all I eat is fruit

Posted by: annex ()
Date: October 12, 2007 07:04AM

haha - i was just going to post a entry with the same issue. On two separate occasions this week when I ate an apple first thing in the morning I got heartburn and flu like symptoms for about 1/2 hour. Every other point of the day I am fine even if I eat a meal of 3 apples... I have no idea what causes it, but I think I am going to skip breakfast...
Also, I have always been a very fast eater, but these experiences made me feel I ate too fast... which I never feel like, but maybe my body is telling me something now that it thinks I'll listen more. So I am going to try eating slower as well.

Good luck!!

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: October 12, 2007 07:23AM

I also don't like to eat in the morning. Today, I had a snack at 11pm, and it really made me feel a bit sluggish. Typically I don't eat my first meal until noon, and more recently I've been eating my first meal at 2pm.

Posted by: uti ()
Date: October 12, 2007 08:29AM

If I have a high fat meal close to sleep time I don't usually feel like eating the next morning, especially if it was a complex meal or had a lot of nuts. From what I've read a meal like that is still digesting and the fat is still in the blood stream. If I do have a big smoothie with lots of bananas I get whacked out.

Another thing I've noticed is if I down my usual 32 ounce smoothie too fast I get whacked out. I also try not to drink a smoothie made from frozen fruits too quickly, it's just too much cold in my system and slows my digestion too much. My preference is to mix fresh bananas with frozen, but sometimes my supply ripens all at once and I have to freeze them or lose them. I also avoid bananas that are not fully ripe.

I stopped making complex smoothies and generally leave out nut and seed fats. Two to three items is enough.

Uti

Posted by: shaine ()
Date: October 12, 2007 11:19AM

this used to happen to me with watermelons first thing in the morning.

Now I do oil pulling upon waking--so I'm less inclined to dive in without thoughtfulness. A friend told me that the seedless varieties may be doing it--because their sugar has been altered.

I used to believe that it was good to eat first thing in the morning, to get things moving. But now I'm doing much better by oil pulling, drinking several cups of herbal tea, heading off for my commute--and waiting until I FEEL HUNGRY and can carefully choose what I want/body wants.

measure twice, cut once.

"In Watermelon Sugar the deeds were done and done again as my life is done in watermelon sugar." ~r.brautigan

I make paintings

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables