Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

thirsty....for....NOT water.
Posted by: m ()
Date: October 08, 2007 08:17PM

i hate drinking water....always have! juices are okay...but i prefer to eat my fruit rather than drink it.

within the last four years i have transitioned into a diet in which i eat mostly fruit, some greens blended into a smoothie (occasionally), and avocados here and there. recently, i haven't felt very "hungry". instead, i have been "thirsty" and have opted for fruit to quench my thirst. i feel like i'm very hydrated (in fact, i wish i didn't pee as much as i do!).

what do you guys think...is it a healthful to choose fruit over water when thirsty?

are you all big water drinkers???

thanks for the input!
love,
*m*

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: thirsty....for....NOT water.
Posted by: karennd ()
Date: October 08, 2007 08:23PM

The fruitarian one says he does not drink water, as he gets all the water he needs from fruit. Fruit is probably the best source of water, filtered by the plant and full of minerals.

People are dehydrated on a cooked food diet because they cook all the water out of their foods.

I am not at your level yet, I still drink water. Way to go though, sounds very healthy to me!

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: October 08, 2007 08:55PM

I drink water but my tap water doesnt tast real good to me. I have only been raw since june. I also have a lot of fat to lose so that may be a reason I need to drink water but I get thirsty. I sometimes do a pinch test on my hand to check on how hydrated I am. If the skin falls back quickly after pinching the skin on the top of my hand that means I am well hydrated if the skin stays pinched for a time that means I need water. I have been very hydrated since I have been raw. My skin is real nice and soft to. I never thought of just eating the juicy fruit to get my water that sounds great.

Posted by: diamond dave ()
Date: October 08, 2007 09:21PM

M,

I think it's neat that you and F1 can remain hydrated by eating fruit. I'm truly amazed that's all the water a body requires. In fact I'm a bit envious!

I'm a workout-aholic and cyclist here in Texas (still extremely humid and 89 degrees today...) so to say I sweat is an understatement. I'm constantly slamming water because of exercise but now I believe it's also due to my sodium intake. Am not 100% raw yet as I'm still transitioning. Perhaps the more I become comfortable with this lifestyle, the less water I'll need. That's my hope anyway.

Before I forget, I simply _love_ your signature line. Gives me a smile each time I read it!

Regards,

David

Posted by: bindiguurl ()
Date: October 09, 2007 02:34AM

if you can get your water intake from eating fruit i think that's fine - there is plenty of water in fruit and yes cooking food gets rid of the water in it. Some raw foodists say that we shouldn't have to drink three litres of water a day and the reason health experts suggest we do is because our food is so dehydrated. i have also read articles in this website where one raw foodists eats watermelon when thirsty and doesn't have to drink water anymore. He also states that it is better for the environment too. so good for you! smiling smiley if it works why change it.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: October 09, 2007 03:13AM

My own experience: I've eaten fruit for many years....and I feel no thirst....and drink no water.....except when I'm fasting...to assist with cleansing. Just my thing.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: October 09, 2007 05:13AM

I am too a big fruit drinker. smiling smiley

I have no problems with doing what my body likes.

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: applebaby ()
Date: October 09, 2007 09:35PM

from my experience there is something very different about eating fruit for water than just drinking water. if i ever eat cooked food and get a huge massive headache from dehydration, no matter how much water i drink for some reason (can't figure it out) it doesn't help at all. but if i eat juicy fruits i start to feel hydrated again and it goes away.

when i eat only fruit i never have to drink water.

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: October 09, 2007 11:07PM

Posted by: uti ()
Date: October 10, 2007 03:16AM

I don't drink water daily on my raw diet and still have to empty my bladder 5 or more times a day. The exceptions to this are when I've been very active and sweating on hot days or have eaten foods that are on the dehydrated side or during a water fast. My diet is high in fruit and watermelon is my favorite summer food which I eat almost every day in high season. Right now the early fall melons in my part of northern California have just peaked and I still feel very hydrated eating them. I don't do much juicing either except for citrus in the winter or make any other sort of herbal tea drinks.
Uti

Posted by: khale ()
Date: October 10, 2007 10:58AM

applebaby wrote:

"from my experience there is something very different about eating fruit for water than just drinking water. if i ever eat cooked food and get a huge massive headache from dehydration, no matter how much water i drink for some reason (can't figure it out) it doesn't help at all. but if i eat juicy fruits i start to feel hydrated again and it goes away."

I noticed this too.

Then I ran across something while flipping through a magazine that referred to the water from raw fruits and vegetables as "structured" water.

I don't understand the science, but apparently this "structured" water from raw juicy fruits and vegetables does indeed hydrate the cells of the body better than just water alone does.

so, eat your water folks, it's good for you!

khale

Posted by: cynthia ()
Date: October 10, 2007 01:28PM

this tread is very interesting.I dont need water either cos fresh fruits are so watery, I'm never thirsty. But that means also a lot of visits to the bathroom ( seems my body cant deal with all that water!!). Even at night I have to wake up two or three times. Someone having the same experience?
I hope this will go away though -- It's more relaxing to sleep through the whole night.
Cynthia

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 10, 2007 02:14PM

Fresh lemon or lime juice in a cup of warm water is a very good for me in the morning, I am enough raw and do not care much about the 100 percent ...

Posted by: sciencegal ()
Date: October 10, 2007 02:42PM

Cynthia--

If you regularly can't sleep through the night without peeing a couple times and you're not drinking water too close to bedtime, there's a strong chance that you're getting too much potassium relative to sodium. Peeing too much is your body's emergency response to too much potassium; it excretes it. The response to too much sodium is to be dehydrated smiling smiley Try including more greens, celery, vegetables, and if you consume it, sea salt. That should balance you out more and help you sleep through the night, without having to wake up 2-3 times to pee.

I don't know enough about how dangerous it is to have too much potassium relative to sodium, nor how imbalanced your ratio is if you have to pee during the night, but I do know that you don't want your situation to continue. I hope this helps!

Best Wishes.

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: October 10, 2007 03:10PM

since I have been raw I too wake up in the middle of the night to have to go pee. At first I had to get up about three times in the middle of the night to go pee now I have to get up only once. I have also been craving salty things. I think my body is trying to get a balance of some sort. I find that when I drink water I am having to run to the bathroom many times. I was also feeling guilty that I was not drinking enough water. So at times I have forced myself to drink. I guess I just need to stop feeling guilty and start listening to what my body is saying.

Date: October 10, 2007 06:53PM

I used to have to wake up in the middle of the night a lot to use the bathroom and that was when I was diagnosed with diabetes. My blood sugar was high and it was stressing my kidneys. Even nowadays, if I ever slip up and my bs gets high, I find myself peeing a lot. Hopefully, that is not what you are experiencing cynthia.

Date: October 18, 2007 04:35PM

I will check about the potassium-sodium thing - thanks for this precious info! Right now, I'm down to waking up once a night so there is some improvement smiling smiley I have been 100% for six weeks then 2 weeks raw or so, and now back to 100% for 2 weeks. I'm thirsty only when I eat cooked, otherwise I'm days and weeks without drinking water. So the pees are not related to that.
Karennd, please would you tell me the symptoms you had for diabetes?
Cynthia

Date: October 18, 2007 05:02PM

I had them all, it was Type 1 Diabetes that I got as an adult from the Epstein-Barr virus (and probably stress).

leg cramps (especially at night, they'd wake me up)
thirsty all the time
peeing all the time
bowels not moving well
blurry vision
hungry all the time but losing weight
if I had had a meter back then, I would have seen that my blood sugar was high
a urine test would have found excessive protein in it
tired
craving sugar
irritable
I think there are others, but I can't think of them right now

Date: October 20, 2007 05:28PM

thank you, karennd, for explaining. By chance, I don't have any of those symptoms (except peeing too much !!. You said "I HAD them all" so you're healed completely now? I wish so for you. blessings and love
Cynthia

Date: October 20, 2007 10:32PM

Well, I still have Type 1 Diabetes and take insulin. But as long as I control my blood sugar levels, I do not have these symptoms. Thanks for the good wishes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables