Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Advice on transitioning
Posted by: lotusblossom9 ()
Date: October 09, 2007 12:12PM

Hi everyone,

I have been eating mostly raw but a lot of my calories have been coming from dried fruit and fat. I am wondering if I should stay on this path, or try something like Dr. Joel Fuhrman's diet (raw fruits and veggies, cooked vegetables, some grains and beans, small amount of raw nuts/seeds/avocado, no oils or dried fruit). I would love to be eating tons of fruits and veggies and less fat but at the moment it seems to not be working for me.

Any advice? Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Advice on transitioning
Posted by: pihourova ()
Date: October 09, 2007 12:22PM

do what works for you. but, in my opinion, i would try to replace dried fruit with fresh, juicey fruits. were you vegan before? if not, maybe you could try to slowly go vegan and then move on to raw vegan. i think it takes some experimentation to find what is best for YOU.

Posted by: karennd ()
Date: October 09, 2007 02:53PM

Have you looked into the 80/10/10 raw vegan diet by Dr. Graham? If you like it, you could transition to it slowly.

Yeah, a dried fruit & fat based diet would normally require a lot of digestion and is therefore very energy draining. I agree with Camille, consider replacing the dried fruit with fresh fruits (including fruit smoothies if you like them) and adding more greens to your diet (including juices or smoothies if you want).

Good luck on whatever path you decide to take!

Posted by: diamond dave ()
Date: October 09, 2007 06:40PM

Sound advice from the ladies above, to be sure! I made the mistake of eating too many nuts this morning before I could whip up my usual smoothie and all day I've been paying the price. My noon time workout was less than stellar...

I'm going to sound like my friend David Zane Mason and say that you need to listen to your body. When I first went raw I incorrectly assumed that the big red Superman "S" on my chest would make me immune to any transitioning pains (detox). I very quickly scaled back my 100% fresh fruits and vegetables and added in a few cheat items - nothing cooked however. But that's just how I'm choosing to handle my personal transition.

Do whatever you need to to get over this transitioning phase. To quote Mr. Mason for about the millionth time, "there are no raw food police"!!!! Like training for a marathon or century bike ride, go slow and accelerate your training (or raw eating) as you get stronger and your body adapts. Again, it's a highly individual thing.

As Karen said, best of luck! I know you can do it.

David

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables