Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

struggling......
Posted by: redstar_38 ()
Date: October 10, 2007 03:44AM

i am struggling in my transition to raw foods...i am now 95-100% raw and have been eating raw since may. on a daily basis i get tempted to go back to eating cooked foods. i think that doing a 100% raw is my only option if i want to improve my life and heath b/c i honestly don't think i could mentally control myself if i ate any percentage of cooked food. i would probably go overboard with it!

is there a point after eating raw for so long that you don't have cravings and you don't feel like you are missing out when you aren't eating cooked food? basically, i don't want to live to eat....i want to eat to live!

also, i think if i tried to make all these raw recipes, that it would only prolong the control that food has over me b/c it seems like it is only a replacement for cooked food.

any words of wisdom/support are appreciated!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: struggling......
Posted by: karennd ()
Date: October 10, 2007 04:15AM

I agree with you, I have to do 100% raw food also because once I start eating cooked food it is a downhill slide after that.

Colonics help me with the cravings, immensely.

I don't want to be discouraging, but I heard Storm say (30 year raw foodist) that he still has cravings. But not as strong I assume.

I agree also, the simpler the better and the raw recipes with lots of fat can end up being addictive too.

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: October 10, 2007 04:41AM

I have been raw since june I still have cravings. I think it is impirtand to not dwell on the cravings but I think it is important to look at what you are eating and check if you are getting enough calories and enough carb's. I have tried the raw recepies and have not been satisfied with them. I think I enjoy keeping it real simple. I think cravings can be a sighn of a need your body has. I have to cook and prepare foods for my kids so I smell the cooked foods all the time. Pizza is a hard one for me but I chose not to eat it even though I crave it at times. I think the hardest thing is eating my raw food around the table with people who don't understand. I feel awkward. I think I will always have a craving towards the cooked foods. The pleasure in eating raw and being raw over rides the cravings for cooked foods. I always want to be raw

Posted by: uti ()
Date: October 10, 2007 05:14AM

What helped me was to begin a process of looking where the cravings were coming from. What I've learned so far is that most of my cravings come from my mind; rarely from my body in need of some nutritional item. I know I'm not alone in this; much has been written in this forum, books and other websites about the subject.

The bottom line for me is recognizing that in my past food has been used as an emotional salve. Top of the list were heavy foods. During my raw transition years my favorite grounding meal was broccoli, mashed potatoes with shitake mushroom gravy and slices of seitan.....vegan roast beef and potatoes!

So when I am feeling anger, frustration, self-judgment, stress or some other form of pain it's likely that food cravings will show up.

The process of transitioning to raw can be stressful. A lot of people have high expectations and unrealistic time frames for the transitional process which are really not very gentle or loving. It's okay to take a step back or try something that doesn't work; those experiences are great teachers and that leads to ownership of your learning.

Some people have the makeup to deny the cravings when they come, but for many denial just postpones dealing with core issues. I am not one of those self disciplined people who can do denial and thrive. What is working for me is indulgence with awareness and the result has been that cravings and old habit patterns show up less and less and I'm much happier and interested in where I am right now with my raw food lifestyle.
Uti

Posted by: redstar_38 ()
Date: October 10, 2007 11:40PM

thanks for all the posts...it's nice to have some support! : )

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables