Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

ode to the avocado...
Posted by: m ()
Date: October 10, 2007 04:43PM

i'm leaning towards the concept of the "low fat" diet, and believe that
it just ain't natural to eat a ton of nuts or processed oils. my dad is an almond/walnut farmer...so i grew up out in the orchards. during harvest time, i'd eat a few nuts off the tree at a time...and that was enough! it seems much easier to overeat nuts when they are already shelled/processed for you.

but the AVOCADO....is wrapped up in it's perfect little package ready to be eaten!

why settle for only eating 1/4 of an avocado, when it exists to be eaten as a whole?

in the past, when i have eaten nuts, i have had a heavy, dehydrated feeling afterward! sometimes i eat up to 2 avocadoes at a time, and i never feel that yucky feeling!

just a little praise to the mighty avocado!

love!
*m*

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ode to the avocado...
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 10, 2007 06:52PM

Sometimes I cut an avocado in half to eat, and put the other half away for later. But almost without fail I'll go and eat the rest right away. An avocado a day keeps me happy.

You are right on about eating nuts and processed oils. When I started eating raw I freely made dressings with olive oil. Now I hardly touch the stuff. Love nuts, but rarely eat them now.

Posted by: diamond dave ()
Date: October 10, 2007 07:00PM

Right there with you M! I love the whole avocado experience as well, including the pit. I'll put it in a smoothie as I understand it's a great source of fiber. I look back on years of eating them before going raw and now wish I had all those pits back!

Believe Karen even eats the skin? I might have to give that a try too.

The mighty avocado indeed...

Best,

David

Posted by: karennd ()
Date: October 10, 2007 07:16PM

Which Karen eats the skin? Not me. ;-)

I love avocados too. I am still old fashioned though and don't juice or blend what I couldn't eat without the help of a juicer or blender. A holistic doctor taught me that and he could be wrong, but I'll go with it for now.

Posted by: diamond dave ()
Date: October 10, 2007 08:27PM

Karen,

I stand corrected! I read your response too quickly on the blender thread. You're just partial to the nice green inside and not the skin. A resounding Homer J. Simpson "Dooooohhhh"!!!!!

Interesting what the holistic doctor shared with you. Perhaps one day when I'm successful at eating 100% raw (years?) I can do away with smoothies. I will say this - I'll hang on to the blender as I scored a new cookbook from Jerry Seinfeld's wife on how to sneak vegetables in to her kid's food. It looks very promising.

Sorry for the temporary "off topic" silliness, M.

My best,

David

Posted by: karennd ()
Date: October 10, 2007 08:39PM

I am not giving up my smoothies either! Love them! Interesting, let us know how that goes (sneaking veggies into your kids' food).

Posted by: Lightform ()
Date: October 10, 2007 10:21PM

Yeah I agree with you M
I went off nuts even while I still believed they were good for me simply because of how they make me feel ( even soaked and sprouted ). I also notice a feeling of unease when I eat oils which I can't realy place and have given them up.

Avocado on the other hand seems compatible and form an extensive part of my salads. They are soo good when they are the only fat food in my diet... I'd be saddened indeed to learn that they realy could be detrimental.

I think the only way I'll ever know will be to go without them for a few weeks and see what happens.. what a mission smiling smiley

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: October 11, 2007 03:57AM

. I've posted before on how silly the whole 'dividing an avocado' thing is.

. how can one be doing that (early on) and not feel like they are 'dieting' or in some deprived state?

. I think if people are very consciously trying to lower their fat intake..its better to go many days without any overt fats, then eat what would be an acceptable amount of avos per calorie (or whatever they are paying attention to) for the week. 1,2,3 whole avos every few days etc...

. but the whole low fat thing...I suspect its all the dense and rancid foods (nuts, oils) and dense and rancid combinations and most importantly poor food combing/timing/fermentation with fruits that cause problems for folks...not the excessive 'raw fats'

Posted by: bluejaunte ()
Date: October 11, 2007 03:05PM

Just had to throw this out there: avocado WITH raw olives is awesome. I know, I know, fat with fat, but you really only need like 3 or 4 small olives with the avocado. It's one of those cases where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. smiling smiley

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: October 12, 2007 03:05AM

lately I have gotten avacados that don't taste so good. I don't think I would eat the skin unless you really know where that fruit was. I did'nt know you could eat the pit of an avacado. Why oh why do they cost so much right now? its two dollers for one avacado. I cant just eat half of an avacado either I use to feel guilty for eating the whold thing but now I just do it yum

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables