Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Minerals in our raw food
Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: April 28, 2006 02:42AM

Many worry about getting enough of these. However, what do we do look after our Earth in this context?

I wonder what can I do to contribute to the reminelization of the Earth? How can I ensure that my children do not suffer the consequences of the civilization which depleted the soil.

We (my fmaily) want to grow our own food, plant the fruit tress in my backyard, plant the grapes etc. Of course, we will look after the soil in our backyard. What about the rest of the world?

Do you ever worry about this at all? Do you do anything about it?

What are your opinions on the topic? What are the questions that you ask yourself? Please share.

(My inspiration: [www.remineralize.org])

Gosia.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Minerals in our raw food
Posted by: brome ()
Date: April 01, 2015 05:01AM

Most of the minerals from food production are being lost in the garbage and down the sewer. All kitchen scraps need to be returned to the garden either thru composting in a pile first or direct composting in the garden. Garbage disposals should be outlawed. The food scraps sent down them pollute our water and the minerals they contain are lost. The depleted food that is flushed down toilets creates the same problems as food down the garbage disposal, pollution and mineral loss. Composting toilets are the answer with the compost returned to the garden. In a rational world there would be no garbage or sewage, everything would be recycled.

Phosphorus is one impossible to replace mineral that is being lost at a high rate. The phosphorus mines will soon (30-100 years +/-) be depleted and modern agriculture will falter.

[www.motherjones.com]

[thesustainabilityreview.org]

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: April 01, 2015 05:32AM

probably one of the MOST important topics to discuss

before discussing spinach and strawberries..let's talk about the soil it is grown on...

the food is only as good as the soil it is grown on..

rawgosia...remineralize the earth organization is a fantastic entity

brome - very very awesome point that you have... i concur ..completely

Date: April 01, 2015 09:29AM

The world is in a bad way and the average unevolved human race is not going to care about solving the problem,so best for awakened people to look after themselves and make sure they are getting higher mineral content food.

How do we mineralise the foods?

1). Rock dust minerals like John Kohler uses is the finest thing of all, but very VERY expensive. A small bucket of rockdust costs something like $500 in Oz.

2). Soak sprouted seeds in highly mineralised water. Oh yes, mineral contents have been shown to incraese up to 400% in the seed and l have the studies to prove it.

3). Open up the food matrix via fermented sprouted highly mineralised foods whereby we can increase some mineral bioavailability up to 1000% for iron in fermented sprouted grains and zinc up to 600% in sprouted fermented grains. But even better...make regular sprouted seed ferments from the grand daddy of the seeds like sesame, sunflower, poppy and occasional pumpkin.

4). Algaes and seaweeds.

5). I recently saw a study which shows that the enzymes in sprouts (highest source in the food world) also chelates mineral bioavailability, and it looks like the minerals from green sprouts will have superior bioavailability to green vegetables, but l need to make sure this is 100% correct before l yell it from the rooftops. You think enzymes in food are useless?...not so fast, newer science shows this is not the case.

Oh yes, the subject of increasing minerals in the diet really floats my boat. If you want a big daddy for boosting minerals you may want to look at sunflower greens, chia grass, lush forest weeds and great sprouted green juices in general...you can get a lot of green that is made in a compact green drink, FANTASTIC!!! If l do a bucket of sprouted greens l will get 1 liter of highly nutritious juice. You think this is over-rated?...no no, it very very good.

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2015 09:36AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: April 01, 2015 09:49AM

People often say that many soils are 80% depleted of minerals, but where is the evidence from properly done studies?

One of the studies l have shows heavy to neglectable mineral depletion in fruits and vegetables in the last 65 -7o years in the U.K.

www.thesproutarian.com

Date: April 01, 2015 10:49AM

It's good to hear an answer to my question at last. smiling smiley

Being a raw foodist means that my garden gets a lot of goodies (compost). It is also good to observe organic shops and organic informal sales are growing. The internet seems to be helping in people creating networks of exchange. It is a slow process but I do notice some positive changes (being around 50 means that I had a lot of time to observe). So perhaps with more people eating more fruit and veggies, and growing their foods, there will be more positive changes in the future?

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Date: April 01, 2015 11:19AM

Here was me thinking Dr Gosia started this thread today, but it was started almost 9 years ago.

www.thesproutarian.com

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: April 01, 2015 03:23PM

"Rock dust minerals like John Kohler uses is the finest thing of all, but very VERY expensive. A small bucket of rockdust costs something like $500 in Oz."

For Pete's sake you don't have to import rock dust minerals from the US. There is plenty available in Oz for free. Getting resourceful takes very little thought and time really.

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: April 01, 2015 05:41PM

Aw bless ya Gosia, you waited so patiently for answers to this! grinning smiley

Agree with Brome, composting toilets are THE FUTURE! the finger smiley

Free Newsletter: [bit.ly]
Facebook: [www.facebook.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Blog: [RawFoodScotland.co.uk]

Date: April 01, 2015 08:59PM

SueZ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> For Pete's sake you don't have to import rock
> dust minerals from the US.

Never said you have too. There is good stuff up north in Queensland Australia, not so commonly available, so a search is required.

www.thesproutarian.com

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: April 01, 2015 09:17PM

The Sproutarian Man Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> SueZ Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > For Pete's sake you don't have to import rock
> > dust minerals from the US.
>
>
> Never said you have too.

No you didn't but you don't have to rely on perfect garden prepackaged recipes for rock dust. Mix your own.

There is good stuff up
> north in Queensland Australia, not so commonly
> available, so a search is required.

OK. Maybe you are too busy fighting city hall to be resourceful so I'll help you out. Buy cheap bags of rock dust from ceramic materials suppliers to mix for your soil. If you have no idea where they are located call you nearest local college or university ceramics dept. and they will have all the info you need. Then just go there and pick it up. If you still are in need of a good scales you can pick that up there, too.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: April 03, 2015 05:21AM

daaaaaaaaaaang rawgosia

NINE YEARS.. you waited for a response?

wow..you're patient

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: April 03, 2015 05:49AM

I am sure the before and after picture of the person asking the question nine year ago and the answer now will show youth and vibrant health.

Date: April 05, 2015 09:43AM

To be truthful, I did not wait. So it was a bonus to see the answer materialize after 9 years at last. Can't believe how quickly time has passed!
eye popping smiley

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables