Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

attack of the shingles ! smiling smiley
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: October 11, 2007 07:06PM

no this is not a roofing story winking smiley

hehe i woke up last night and felt my arm from armpit down to halfway down my forearm on the inside of my arm felt like it was on fire .. i knew exactly what it was before i even turned on the light as ive had a shingles attack twice in my life before since becoming an adult after getting chicken pox as kid

the last time this happened i was in india (5 years ago) and about 2 inches on either side of my spine in a swatch from the middle of my shoulderblades strat down to the top of my butt crack was a patch of blisters

when i was in india the clinic there told me to drink lots of papaya and mango juice and eat lots of fruit and drink water and rest and it pretty much scabbed up in less then a week an the dead skin fell off a week later and the pain was gone the third week

my naturapath told me this morning to start taking large doses of vitamin c and we talked about fasting and will do a water fast all weekend or a few days longer if i can get the days off work as he seems to think this is tied in somehow to my iritis/uvitis thing (im not sure what the connection is other then they are both immune disorders)

anyone have any idea why vitC would do any good ? id like to hear it!

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2007 07:08PM by Jgunn.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: attack of the shingles ! smiling smiley
Posted by: Sapphire ()
Date: October 11, 2007 07:32PM

Oh dear Jodi, I really feel for you. I had shingles years ago when my kids were little, and it was SOOOO painful! I can't even remember what I did to make it go away, I think I might have used a type of skin cream with capsicam (?) or something like that - something derived from hot peppers - someone else might know what this is, I really can't remember. Or I might be totally confused and thinking of something else.

About the Vitamin C - I don't know why it would help. but I think it is a very healing vitamin in general, so it makes sense. Anyway, I was at the grocery store yesterday and spotted the first boxes of Christmas oranges I have seen this year, so I grabbed a box to bring home! So this morning, when I went to grab an orange for breakfast, wasn't I surprised to discover not one single orange left in the box, just a bunch of little green wrapping papers - those kids must have had a feast last night, haha!!

Still, if you enjoy oranges, and get to keep a few for yourself when you buy them, it might be something to consider!

Sapphire

Date: October 11, 2007 07:37PM

hey cool saph was that at one of the big chains? superstore or overwatea? gonna check after work ... i love the mandarins !! smiling smiley

lol the first time i had this it was right around those big ebola scares that were going around and i thought i was a goner for sure haha .. silly me smiling smiley

yea its a weird pain ...if i lean on my arm directly it doesnt hurt .. it burns if my sleeve brushes it just so slightly ... all i could do last nigth was lay a cold wet cloth on it to cool it down

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: October 11, 2007 07:47PM

Sounds like you're really dumping a lot of old stuff with the weirdness you've been having - hard to remember it's for my own good when it happens to me! Somehow I usually feel my body is betraying me.

Are you doing lots of greens or fruits like you were when you had that other weirdness?

Posted by: Sapphire ()
Date: October 11, 2007 07:53PM

Quality foods, but if they have it, probably everyone else will too.

BTW, when were you in India? My husband and I were there in 1987. Loved it!

Sapphire

Date: October 11, 2007 08:24PM

yep lots and LOTS aqua .. just reaping the bounty of summer before theres not much left lol ...i cant even recall when ihad some nuts and oil last ..maybe a month now or a bit longer

i guess my oooey gooey goodness just wants out lol

saph i was there in 2001 and 2002 .. i spent a year in nepal and made a few trips down to india it was awesome smiling smiley im quite confident that when i hit my retirement time i will be spendng time over there more often smiling smiley

Posted by: karennd ()
Date: October 11, 2007 08:28PM

Sounds like they gave you really good advice in India when you had the shingles. I wish doctors would give us that kind of advice in the US.

Shingles are not fun, I sympathize.

Date: October 11, 2007 08:50PM

Yes, that's so cool to hear medical advice like that! Bunch of smarties over there, though they probably think Westerners have some superior drug for it.

Jodi, you're awesome and you're going to feel even better than before....I can't wait to be where you are physiologically, and I'm full of admiration - for you and for nature...wooo-hooo!

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: October 12, 2007 02:58AM

Jodi what about taking the papayia again for your shingles. I am so sorry for your pain. I hope you recover quickly.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: October 12, 2007 03:45AM

I don't think shingles is caused by a vitamin C deficiency, and if you are a raw foodist eating a lot of fruit, you are probably already getting a lot of vitamin C. Water fasting and getting a lot of rest and sleep is going to help you heal the quickest. Also exposing the affected skin to sunshine will help it detox and heal faster.

Date: October 12, 2007 03:21PM

hey Bryan smiling smiley no he didnt say i was deficient (in fact he kinda laughed saying i was probably higher in vitC then anyone in his patient list ) he just suggested upping it even further .. i only managed to catch him on the phone briefly to see if i should come in for an appointment as he had told me previously ifmy eyes flare up or show any signs of arthritic type thing (gout or ?) but he just suggested the vitamin c and waterfast and rest and see how i felt after the weekend , hes very openminded about the raw foods hehe smiling smiley

already the redness inflamation has reduced down where its now mostly centered in a about a 6inch round patch around my elbow where its startig to blister now

onwards and upwards smiling smiley shortsleeves water and rest!

Date: October 13, 2007 05:52AM

So did you take vit c or not...........did you fast today?

Posted by: khale ()
Date: October 13, 2007 12:47PM

Vitamin C in therapeutic doses (3000mg. a day or more) will boost the immune system and will increase the oxygen levels in your body - i suspect this is probably the most helpful thing for the shingles...tho I'm no expert.

I hope it clears up quickly Jodi.

khale

Date: October 13, 2007 02:22PM

just juice yesterday (friday) will do just water for the rest of the weekend smiling smiley

wouldnt ya know it .. we forgot to turn our alarms off last night before bed and we both jumped up at 5am to start the RUSH only to realize 1 minute later its saturday morning tongue sticking out smiley arggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg!

i have to say the burning feeling is better but the itching and subsequent trying to ignore the itchiness is driving me looney winking smiley

Date: October 13, 2007 04:43PM

Alarm clocks should come with alarms telling us to set them properly the night before!

Date: October 13, 2007 05:02PM

omg lol good idea aqua !

Date: October 24, 2007 02:50AM

well lesss then 2 weeks (12 days from the first start of burning) i did 2 small water only fasts over the weekends and light mono eating of mostly watermelon the week in between and as little work as possible ....

and tonight the last of the blister scabs fell off without so much as a pink scar underneath (the last 2 episodes left some very visable blisiter scars)

and thats that smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2007 02:50AM by Jgunn.

Posted by: karennd ()
Date: October 24, 2007 04:32AM

Cool! You did good. What a good success story.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: October 24, 2007 07:13AM

vit b 12
l lysine ( amino acid)

topical cream of zinc oxide and yogurt

another topical: apply apple cider vinegar to rash

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables