Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

What about swimming pools?
Date: October 11, 2007 08:08PM

I was wondering if raw people don’t swim in pools with chlorine and chemicals? I live in Florida and I haven’t been in a pool all summer. I have used the beach a few times but that’s even a problem now with people getting reactions left and right from swimming in the beach waters.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What about swimming pools?
Posted by: frances ()
Date: October 11, 2007 08:54PM

I'm really uncomfortable about public pools. Just being near them I get such a string bleach smell I don't want to get in. Some pools use less intense chemicals and/or smaller quantities, especially privately owned pools that have to deal with fewer swimmers. I occasionally swim in this type, but the opportunity doesn't come up much because I don't have any good friends with swimming pools.

I remember when I was a kid I was completely unbothered by the chlorine stink, and was only concerned about the number of little kids who I knew were peeing in the water all the time.

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: October 11, 2007 11:58PM

I've been allergic to them for many years - I would go into a weird stupor in a pool, finally figured out why!

Do people use hydrogen peroxide or salt instead of other chemicals now in Florida?

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: October 12, 2007 01:35AM

some places (few and far beetween ) use salt .. theyre great ..we just got my mom booked in once a week into a private saltwater pool so she can exercise ..shes 80 and was going down muscular wise rapidly from game-show-itis and not getting out of her chair ..we are very gratefull for it !

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: October 12, 2007 02:07AM

Jodi is that in the Fraser Valley? And it's a personal-use pool or it's a private institution of some kind?

Wouldn't a salt-water pool be cheaper and easier to maintain? Not to mention tastier?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 12, 2007 01:39PM

the place we used to live had an ozonated pool and here there's a salt water pool. both kinds still use chlorine, just less of it. i can still smell the bleach but only faintly.

Date: October 12, 2007 01:46PM

its out in surrey aqua .. i can get the name an # and $price from my dad if you wish .. its a private home pool that these folks have built and provide to physiotherapists in the area to bring folks too smiling smiley they only take in 4 people i think he said per every couple of hours to do their pool exercise and im not sure how many sessions a day .. its good though because my mom gets anxious/confused if there are too many people around smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2007 01:47PM by Jgunn.

Posted by: rankdurian ()
Date: October 12, 2007 02:03PM

I like the saltwater pools. I live near the beach but have an unholy fear of sharks. I can not see through the water here on the Atlantic side of the continent but will readily swim somewhere that I can see my enemies coming!LOL I like swimming in the Caribbean.

Posted by: diamond dave ()
Date: October 12, 2007 03:24PM

Hi Dee!

I know I've said this a million times but I live in Dallas, Texas and it seems that EVERYONE in the south has a pool. My wife and I just designed and built a wonderful home not too long ago and it's pre-wired/plumbed for a swimming pool. I didn't want to put it in at the time of construction as my kids were too small. Now that they're older and terrific swimmers I'm looking in to the pool once again.

Living in Florida I'm surprised that you don't have more exposure to salt water pools as it's becoming more and more commonplace for both residential & commercial applications. A few years back when I was full out in to triathlons I swam religiously in the pool where I workout (24Hr Fitness). At that time, it was fully chlorinated and would literally eat away at my tri swim trunks every few months! What bugged me was that I'd smell of chlorine after numerous other workouts and many showers. In my fingernails it seems I would always smell chlorine. Keep in mind this was well before I stumbled upon the raw lifestyle. As with so many things, if I knew back then what I know now...

Since that time 24Hr Fitness has converted their pool to salt water and most of my neighbors have the same chlorine free pools. The only downside is that I hear the salt is tough on certain parts of the pool such as tile and possibly finishes or plumbing. Being a little more aware of things these days, I'd rather a toll be taken on things besides my wonderful family. Tile can be replaced. My wife and two kids can't!!!

Sorry to ramble on. Bottom line is that you won't find me in chlorinated pools ever again...

Regards!

David

Date: October 12, 2007 03:47PM

id rather my pool water be tough on my tile then on my body tongue sticking out smiley just my opinion !

Date: October 13, 2007 05:45AM

When my kids were small and taking swim lessons, etc at UBC, I used to buy a soap bar from Lush that was made to neutralize the chlorine in your hair and skin.... then they stopped making it.
It did help quite a lot, but wasn't a match for chemicals absorbed after an hour or more in the pool.

I think hydrogen peroxide would be my first thought if I had a pool or hot tub, but it's a little controversial as well.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables