Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Bryan, on excessive protein
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: October 12, 2007 04:16PM

im trying to find your post .. i think you had a link or maybe you talked about it in the thread the sideeffects of excessive protein on the kidneys and ?

my mom (80y.o.) has had nearly 2 years of accute diarhea and right about the same time or ? my dad has been having her drink these protein shakes and im wondering if its connected .. it could be the whey too i suppose

i cant find the thread again and the search thing is acting up on me again lol

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2007 04:18PM by Jgunn.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bryan, on excessive protein
Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: October 12, 2007 04:34PM

Jodi,

Check out the Excess protein consumption section in Protein in nutrition.

Here's the post I wrote about it in Re: Why Is "Carbs Versus Fats" More Critical On Raw?

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: October 12, 2007 04:38PM

thanks much smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: October 13, 2007 04:58AM

Bryan,
Do you advocate the information on the link about protein? The amount of protein suggested is quite a bit different from that suggested in the intro page to this website.

Date: October 13, 2007 05:05AM

The method of determining protein content is rather suspect.
[en.wikipedia.org]
Maybe the in the future there will be better ways to determine protein contents, and nutrient contents. But for me, it seems pretty strange to use heat and so many chemicals to determine nutrition. Doesn't that destroy things in the process, or alter them?

The protein information page shows a number of children with protein-energy malnutrition. What is the living foods answer to bring these children back to health?

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: October 13, 2007 05:23AM

Mislu,

No, I was just reading the part about excess protein and it effects on the body. The mainstream view on the amount of protein is vastly overestimated (or should I say overguessed). Perhaps this is because that protein is cooked, and basically useless.

As for those children, just feeding them their fill of whole raw foods would bring back the nutrients they need to heal themselves.

Posted by: Sapphire ()
Date: October 13, 2007 05:13PM

I was watching a video of T. Colin Campbell and he talks quite a bit about his surprising discoveries about protein, and the impact it has on liver cancer - the results were really quite shocking. It's unbelievable that this has not become common knowledge:

[video.google.ca]

Sapphire

Date: October 15, 2007 05:14AM

Sapphire,
Thank you for sharing the link. That was quite lengthy, but I am glad I listened. I hope that this information will become more widely spread, there is always hope. I was quite suprised about this information myself. Most of the information available about vegan diets emphasize the lack of animal fat and cholestrol. Those are probably a factor, but the protein part is usually not mentioned. It could be because there is so much idealization of protein and amino acids, to the point that perhaps even vegans have this idealization to some degree. There is truth to it, but from what it appears we should be worried about getting too much, not the lack.

Posted by: Sapphire ()
Date: October 15, 2007 06:07AM

Thanks Mislu!

Disturbing, wasn't it?

When he got to the part where he showed how easily they were able to grow cancer tumors simply by using milk protein, and how easily they were able to shrink them simply by reducing or eliminating it, I got chills. How awful it must be to know that they essentially caused all those liver cancers in the kids in the Philippines, even if there was no way they could have predicted it.

This is going to mean I am going to have to completely re-evaluate how I shop for food. Up until now, I have been accomodating my husband's SAD preferences and doing my best to preserve my own standards, and making both available to our kids. This has worked, but now I am never going to be able to buy a package of cheese or a tub of yogurt for them again. This is poison! I can't ever knowingly feed this stuff to my own children ever again!!

The more I think about the implications of all that Mr. Campbell had to say, the more my mind boggles! How can any "health" food store sell such a thing as "whey protein"? All my son's friends are guzzling milk by the gallon - they are fourteen year old boys, and are doing their best to embrace the major growth their bodies are trying to do at this stage. Pizza is a way of life! Nobody is going to believe this!

This guy isn't some guru with a bunch of made up statistics - he's a very respected and serious scientist, and the conclusions he ended up with were pretty much the opposite of what he was looking for when he started out.

I haven't figured out how I am going to deal with this in my own family, but WOW, this is going to require some very serious thought.

Sapphire

Date: October 15, 2007 07:05AM

Sapphire,
I remember that age. In my early teens I ate cheese by the block, often in a single meal. I grew on that, both up and side to side. Looking back, I think it was perhaps more side to side. I was definately taught that this was a food group, necessary for growth and health, along with meat.

At some point slightly later in my teens I got acne. I elminated most of the fatty portion of animal foods, but allowed generous portions of oils from seeds and nuts, avocados etc...I probably ate more fruits, veggies, nuts than most of my friends. At some point I went vegetarian, but I still included some dairy, mostly dried skim milk. The report is very accurate. At that time, the idea was that animal fat was harmful. I had never heard that the protein part was harmful. To westerners that was pretty much unthinkable. Whenever I mentioned anything about vegetarianism, the usual response was "PROTEIN, PROTEIN...you need protein".

I vaguely remember hearing someone give a school report on the power of fruit and vegetables. I think for most people it went over their heads. For me it certainly did. The student talked about how his colon was cleansed after eating fruits and vegetables for over a month. I remember raising my hand and asking "...won't it all just coat your colon again when you start eating meat,dairy and bread again? He had a difficult time explaining to me that he had no intention of ever eating those things again. I said aren't those food groups your missing? Again, I obviously was conceptually missing something. Time was up! and it was time for the next oral report!

Yes, I think your right. Most people still think these are essentials. Somethings people KNOW are not good for them they still eat, because they are 'fun' and they are taught that the body can tolerate 'some' processed sugar. We wouldn't want to go fanatic! Didn't that report say that one agency suggested that 34% of calories from processed sugar would be ok? something like that.

In any case, people just don't get it. Even when face with stats like that. I consider myself to be health concious, and even I am stunned. I am suprised that even small amounts are harmful, and that the harm rate raises very quickly according to consumption. At my former workplace, I look about the same age as people 20 years younger. That is what everyone assumed. Someone even said that he wants to look like me when he is my age. That remains to be seen, as this person just absolutely loves hamburgers, french fries, milkshakes, colas etc... That just amazes me that this is 'normal' for them, and that they fully expect to look wrinkled with a pot belly when they reach twice their age. At the very least, give up the fast food. I think even that would be helpful, even if they don't go vegan. Give up the processed stuff, that would be the first step. Although I know that going vegan would be the ultimate step towards ensuring health.

thank you once Again!

Date: October 22, 2007 06:27AM

Bryan,
I just watched a story on 60 mintues this evening about protein-energy malnutrition. In some countries people are distributing a special mixture. Apparently its having some great results. Its not raw, and not vegan as it does have milk powder. But also has added vitamins and minerals.

I am curious if there is a vegan answer to this? I am sure there must be some project like this to assist people. Actually the children are so young, they really need milk, but there isn't enough human milk. Is there a suitable vegan substititue?
[www.projectpeanutbutter.org]

Posted by: karennd ()
Date: October 22, 2007 05:09PM

I think people in these countries are protein malnutritioned because they must rely on grains and starches - not fresh fruits & vegetables - for the majority of their food. It's sad, but the world is set up agriculturally and economically to rely on grains for the majority of its calories. Without the grains, most of the world would starve. It needs to change. The fruit tree initiative is good. And people need to be taught to grow their own vegetables in third world countries and given the land and the means to do so.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables