Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

bananas
Posted by: veganathlete ()
Date: October 14, 2007 06:55PM

Hey evevryone

I absolutely love bananas and the texture they create in smoothies - I could eat bananas all day long. The only problem is if I eat them frequently they create constipation. Does anyone else know of any fruit that could create the same texture in my smoothies as banans? Also maybe a fruit that is similiar to the taste of a banana?

Thanks ;-)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: bananas
Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: October 14, 2007 08:31PM

Its hard to beat bananas for the smoothie texture.

Do you wait until your bananas are ripe before eating them? Do you let the bananas get fully freckled (brown spots all over the banana skin) before you use them? If not, the unripe starchy bananas can cause digestive problems. A banana with a pure yellow skin is not yet ripe.

Posted by: rawnoggin ()
Date: October 15, 2007 08:04AM

Not quite as tasty as a banana, IMHO, but I use half an avocado in some smoothies. I also throw in some apple for sweetness.

Date: October 16, 2007 02:35PM

I love adding, pineapple, mangoes, watermellow, those fruits make great smoothies!!!!!!

Posted by: diamond dave ()
Date: October 16, 2007 03:43PM

I second everything mentioned above. This may get me in a bit of trouble but I also freeze a lot of my ripe fruit just for smoothies. This morning (as I do most days) I made a smoothie with frozen bananas, strawberries, and blueberries. Talk about tasty!

Not to get too personal, but how is your daily intake of vegetables? To that morning smoothie I typically add baby spinach & kale (which can NOT be detected with all that delicious fruit!) and then I have a nice salad at lunch consisting of romaine lettuce, more spinach, tomatoes, mushrooms, bell pepper, and raw zucchini. I have no constipation issues at all and with my outdoor cycling training I too, have my share of bananas.

Good luck to you VeganAthlete!!!

David

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: October 16, 2007 04:25PM

I freeze my fruit also for smoothies. I don't want the bananas to go to ripe so I stick them in the freezer. Now that berries are not available I have found some local frozen ones. They are expensive but I have a freezer full of yummey berries. Next year I hope to pick the berries and freeze them for the winter. I have just discovered hemp seeds and they have this creamy texture. I have not put some in a smoothie yet though. Has anyone tried hemp seeds in a smoothie?

Date: October 16, 2007 06:22PM

I also meant to add in my original reply to drink lots of water, especially on days that you workout. With all due respect to Fruitarian One and all the other fabulous athletes on this forum, I simply sweat too much during my time spent at 24Hr Fitness or outside on the bike. Even if you hooked me up to a watermelon IV I'd still need more fluids!

Another humid day here in Texas and you should have seen the Stairmaster after my workout a little bit ago. Looks as if it was sprayed down with a garden hose!!! I simply must drink water to rehydrate in addition to all the fruit I eat.

Regards!

David

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: October 16, 2007 06:34PM

check these out....

[www.newliving.com]

[www.superslow.com]

Date: October 16, 2007 07:27PM

Pretty interesting reading Fresh, I studied every word of both links. While I think there's merit to what was imparted, I still enjoy my hours at the gym and really feel at peace when on the bike. Say that I'm wired differently than most (my wife does!) but after all these years I truly love the endorphin rush experienced from working out and long bike rides. I receive no negative "endure-phins" as what was quoted in the first link. There's also the social factor and sense of camaraderie that is experienced with my dear friends who are of like mind and that's a large part of it, too.

I will say that over the years I've learned to listen to my body, even more so since I've gone raw and joined this forum. Recovery was not a word in my vocabulary back in my 20's as I felt like Ahhhhnold pushing my muscles to the max every day at the gym. Now in my 40s with a wife and two kids my mindset has mellowed somewhat. Thankfully so.

I can say without a shadow of a doubt that for "me", exercise appeals greatly to my mental and genetic makeup. For better or worse.

Thanks for sharing. I love reading about the other side of the coin.

My best,

David

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables