Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Dad Was Right - Dirt Is Good for You! - helps fight depression
Posted by: karennd ()
Date: October 16, 2007 04:58PM

I knew the bacteria in dirt could help with gut issues, but I didn't realize until now that it could help with depression. But it makes sense since I have read that there are serotonin receptors in the intestines as well as the brain and serotonin is produced in the brain, intestines, and endocrine glands.

Dad Was Right—Dirt Is Good for You!
Let a little of the Earth pass through you
Dr Northrup loves it when family wisdom proves true! She remembers what her Dad, a dentist, always said when someone dropped a bit of food on the floor or in the dirt: “Don’t worry about it. A little dirt won’t hurt you. Let the earth pass through you. Then you’ll be immune to everything.” “It turns out he was right!” Dr. Northrup proclaims with pride and delight.
Researchers from Great Britain’s University of Bristol and University College of London have discovered that a bacterium found in soil—common, garden-variety dirt—has an unexpected health benefit. The bacterium, Mycobacterium vaccae, may be effective in fighting depression. This bacterium was already known to help stimulate the immune system and has been used in clinical trials to treat patients with cancer.

“Children who aren’t exposed to enough dirt are at risk for asthma and allergies,” she says. “Now, it looks like some of the bacteria in dirt is even helpful for mood improvement. Fascinating and right up my alley!” As a champion of alternative medicine and a believer in the unity of all life, Dr. Northrup enjoys finding evidence that validates the healing power available in nature. Dad was right—dirt is good for you!

The discovery that M. vaccae was beneficial for depression came when cancer patients reported an improved quality of life during treatment with the bacterium. Dr. Christopher Lowry, leader of the research team, theorized that exposure to M. vaccae might cause an increase in serotonin, a mood-enhancing neurotransmitter. To investigate further, Dr. Lowry and his team inoculated a group of mice with the friendly bacterium and looked to see what effect it had on their brains. M. vaccae induces the brain to produce serotonin, a neurotransmitter level that is often low in people with depression.

According to Dr. Lowry, we are exposed to friendly bacteria every day and absorb many through the food we eat and the air we breathe. M. vaccae is one of about 90 species of environmental mycobacteria that are abundant in water as well as in dirt in most climates. While it isn’t possible right now to buy a “dirt” pill to take for depression, Dr. Lowry and his team will continue working to discover how this unusual remedy for mood regulation might work to the benefit of humans.

Graham Rook, a professor of immunology who worked with Dr. Lowry, has researched the link between exposure to microbes and the development of allergies. Rook believes that the modern world’s improved cleanliness may contribute to increases in such conditions as asthma, eczema, and hay fever, as well as autoimmune diseases such as type 1 Diabetes and Crohn’s disease (an inflammatory bowel disorder). “We’ve known for a couple of decades now that a whole group of chronic inflammatory disorders are becoming much commoner in the rich developed world,” he says.

Christopher Lowry joked that while doctors are not yet ready to prescribe dirt for improving your mental health, it couldn’t hurt to make mud pies or roll around in the dirt on a down day. Could it be that part of the great appeal of gardening is our instinctive need to keep ourselves connected to the soil? Remember Dad’s words, “Let the earth pass through you.” A little dirt can’t hurt and might be a great big help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dad Was Right - Dirt Is Good for You! - helps fight depression
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 16, 2007 05:07PM

i'll tell this to my sister who shat an earthworm sized ascarus lumbricodis parasite a year and a half ago. she is still recovering from this dreadful parasite that she got from ingesting just a little bit of dirt. she was extremely healthy before this too, poor girl.

Date: October 16, 2007 05:54PM

Wow, so we should tell everyone to not go out and eat some dirt, right? I wasn't planning to, but maybe if they put that bacteria in a supplement it could help some people.

Coco, is that roundworm? Your poor sister. They say many of us have them and are asymptomatic (that's what I ready anyway), but that must have been awful for your sister.

Posted by: roxeli ()
Date: October 16, 2007 07:12PM

I know that certain clays have proven to be beneficial. I could see myself eating clay that has been sun dried, (bentonite, pascalite, etc.) but after that parasite story I'm too freaked out to try garden soil.

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: October 16, 2007 08:51PM

I love the smell of backyard dirt. My parents' neighbor calls it "clean dirt" - like if there's a little on some vegetables she's like "oh that's ok, it's just clean dirt." as opposed to say, nasty chemical pesticides.

Posted by: Rawrrr! ()
Date: October 16, 2007 09:05PM

Maybe one reason carrot juice is healing. Unless you peel them, the soil stays in the peel, even if you wash them. The juice washes the soil from the peel into the juice.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 16, 2007 10:51PM

nope, not round worm. much, much worse. it's a parasite that infects pigs and people and is very difficult to get rid of. in fact, she had to take a round of intense antibiotics, they Ruined her gut flora. she's been seeing a naturopath and taking extremely good care of herself but is still recovering. she lives close to nature, sleeps outside all summer, eats organic from her own garden, etc etc. she's a healthy, robust little chica but did this ever throw her out of whack. her partner had to take the antibiotics too but they didn't affect him the same way, possibly because he wasn't infected with the parasite to the extent she was. thankfully they didn't pass it along to little and i, we had to send away stool samples for testing though (!!!). have you ever tried to collect stool from a 4 year old? OMG, what an ordeal! that's how i know that neither of us have any parasites at all though.

soil borne micro-organisms are available in a supplement, it's called primal defense. i took it for a while a years ago, it seemed to be good but i was doing a few intense things right around them so... who knows.

Date: October 17, 2007 03:46AM

Actually, I am taking Primal Defense right now. I know it has homeostatic soil organisms, but I don't know if there is any guarantee that it has the particular bacteria mentioned in that article.

That is so sad about what your sister has had to go through with that parasite.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables