Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

does microwave kill enzyme?
Posted by: ferdiewen ()
Date: October 16, 2007 09:08PM

It's getting cold and raining outside. I miss some hot tea. Does anyone know microwave kill enzyme if I don't heat for too long?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: does microwave kill enzyme?
Posted by: Rawrrr! ()
Date: October 16, 2007 09:22PM

Microwaves are the devil! Learn it, remember it, don't do it! LOL!

Really tho, I tryed to sell mine because it came with my condo, and no one wanted to buy it, and it's new! My daughter wants to use my microwave when she visits, and I forbid it (after years of brainwashing her that microwaves are the devil ;P . I'm trying to get rid of it, so it's not an issue.

Ferdienwen, it sounds as tho you haven't fallen in love with raw. Or it seems to be a love~hate romance. Absence makes the heart grow fonder. Stray away, and it will entice you back.

Posted by: Lejla ()
Date: October 17, 2007 02:52AM

As I know micro changes the structure of the food and makes it totally foreign to the body even if it not kill the enzymes (that I don`t know for sure but if I would bet I `d say it kills them too). I advise to say good by to the microwave. It is bad bad bad!

Posted by: shaine ()
Date: October 17, 2007 03:03AM

ferdiewen

I drink tea...a lot every day, even through the summer. I believe it's part of 'how I am raw.' this is not a perfect science, and I use herbal teas that have benefits of their own. So I don't consider it a vice, when it's healthful and soothing. I mean, doesn't being raw make us all feel beautiful and clean and energized? So what's the different between using raw foods for physiological health, and using tea for mental health? perhaps I'm getting wordy out of justification--but I had to clarify this for myself once I got to be high high raw. (not 100% by the book, on account of tea and my multivitamin + EFA). again: this is how I am raw.

Boiling water over a fire in the woods to make tea would kill the enzymes too...if there are any depending on the tea leaves you're using. So yea, microwaves would, through heating, kill those sacred Enzymes.

I don't own a microwave, I use a teapot. But when I visit my folks, the microwave is easy and I use it. It's bad it's bad etc. There are worse evils, and it's only tea and perhaps it's my american heritage but I'd rather use it for two minutes than heat up a pot of water on their electric stove every time I want a cup.

measure twice, cut once.

"In Watermelon Sugar the deeds were done and done again as my life is done in watermelon sugar." ~r.brautigan

I make paintings

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: October 17, 2007 03:07AM

. so in going raw you threw out your stove but kept your microwave? LOL

. invest in a hot plate or something

. there is no valueable enzymes to be killed off in water or tea. although like most things i'm sure heating will alter the structure of the compounds.

. if you are still including cooked foods in your diet..a little warmed up water with some tea should be just fine.

- if you want to get creative and rig up some contraption to make a 'raw' sun tea in the wintertime that would be another option

Posted by: frances ()
Date: October 17, 2007 03:11PM

The only really good thing I know about microwaves that they are quite energy efficient compared to conventional ovens. Use a regular oven and you are heating a lot of metal unnecessarily! Since there isn't much damage you can do to water anyway, I see absolutely no reason why you shouldn't heat water in a microwave. That said, I do drink hot tea from time to time and almost always heat the water in a kettle. Habit, I guess.

Posted by: karennd ()
Date: October 17, 2007 03:43PM

I agree that there are no enzymes in water, but since we are talking about microwaves I always remembered this because I am from Oklahoma:

The Journal of Natural Science (1998; 1: 2-7) reported a Tulsa, Oklahoma, patient who died of anaphylactic shock as a result of a transfusion of blood warmed in a microwave. Microwaves appeared to have altered the blood sufficiently to cause the death of the patient.

I think that was the one and only time that blood was warmed in the microwave as all other hospitals were warned and told not to do that. What bothered one holistic doctor in Tulsa is that they were still heating up the hospital food in the microwave!!

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: October 17, 2007 08:44PM

In general enzyme activity increases with heat to a point--once you heat it too far it declines rapidly because enzymes are proteins and when they get denatured they don't work right. This would be with any type of applied heat.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: October 17, 2007 08:51PM

Opinion: It certainly doesn't do anything BENEFICIAL (vitamin/mineral/protien-wise). LOL. It's all about YOUR goals/dreams. BE THERE! winking smiley

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: GypsyArdor ()
Date: October 17, 2007 11:03PM

I don't know how to post links like people do here, but there is a video on YouTube dealing with microwaved water. A woman decided to do an experiment with feeding microwaved water vs. non microwaved water (I think that water was boiled) to some plants. The ones with the microwaved water slowly died.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 17, 2007 11:28PM

i watched it, the microwave watered plant died. big surprise.

the thing is, with something so contraversial why wouldn't people just err on the side of caution and just use the stove? it's not like we have to build a fire or anything, just turn the dang thing on. or an electric kettle even.

the microwave (and all things microwave related!) IS the devil.
i saw this [www.cbsnews.com] on the news the other day, it's about microwave popcorn workers (and, apparently, eaters) who get something called popcorn lung. delightful.

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: October 17, 2007 11:35PM

I've never used my microwave (came with the place I live in) for anything but food storage. I don't have much for cabinet space so I use the microwave to store some plastic baggies of dried fruit, onions, other stuff that doesn't need to be refrigerated. Works great and I don't think it is killing the enzymes. smiling smiley

Posted by: ferdiewen ()
Date: October 18, 2007 05:44PM

that's funny, I guess I can use my microwave as a storage to hide my plastic container. I used to be a big microwave fan because it's fast and easy but since I am on the raw diet. I don't use stove or microwave. The only occasion is I heat up my herb tea but I will try to use stove next time.

Posted by: Rawrrr! ()
Date: October 18, 2007 08:17PM

coco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i watched it, the microwave watered plant died.
> big surprise.
>
> the thing is, with something so contraversial why
> wouldn't people just err on the side of caution
> and just use the stove? it's not like we have to
> build a fire or anything, just turn the dang thing
> on. or an electric kettle even.
>
> the microwave (and all things microwave related!)
> IS the devil.
> i saw this
> [www.cbsnews.com]
> ain3239379.shtml on the news the other day, it's
> about microwave popcorn workers (and, apparently,

I wouldn't put anything past junk food empires.

> eaters) who get something called popcorn lung.
> delightful.

You crack me up! smiling smiley

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 18, 2007 09:17PM

i was serious though! apparently this chubster who was trying for a healthier (healthier being relative here) snack food opted for 2+ bags of butter-flavoured reddinbacher and came down with this funky lung disease that only popcorn factory workers get. i'm not joking, fer reals!

Posted by: karennd ()
Date: October 19, 2007 03:50AM

Yes, I read that article. He ate 2 bags a day for 10 years I believe and loved to open the bag and inhale the fumes before he ate it. The chemical they added for the butter flavor gave him a lung disease, just like the one workers in the popcorn factories were getting. A lot of the popcorn companies are already taking the chemical out of their popcorn.

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: October 19, 2007 04:31AM

Egaads..if you don't do raw foods, at the very least don't use your micro-wave and ban anyone as stated in earlier post of anyone using it! Or just get rid of it.

I got rid of mine when I learned that it actually changes our hemoglobin and not in a good way. You don't want to re-heat, cook, or stand to one that is on.

I'd suggest you do some research..there is tons of info. on what it does to food, our blood, our health!

I have one now in my older son's house I moved into recently..and while it's tempting, my younger son wouldn't even touch itsmiling smiley It's a bad, bad thing..ok, did I say it's a bad thing to use?!!

What I'll do when my older son comes to visit with his family..I'll try to explain it to him..but he's not into all this stuff..I don't know what he really thinks of it but I know he thought I'd starve my grandsons when they came to my home to visit or spend the night due to the raw foods!!

Love,
Prism

Posted by: Alkalarian ()
Date: October 19, 2007 06:37AM

NEVER use microwaves!!!

Instead, keep it raw and fresh...

Regards, Mel

Posted by: trumper ()
Date: October 19, 2007 09:50AM

Probably the microwave does more damage to the food than killing enzymes. Enzymes are killed by head over 42° C anyway.

During World War II the German Army started to introduce the microwave in field kitchens but stopped it shortly afterwards because of health risks.

After many years the microwave came back to Germany via USA. The only purpose I use the microwave is to preheat dishes.

Don’t use it for heating water.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables