Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

uncomfortable in clothes
Posted by: allone01 ()
Date: October 17, 2007 12:10AM

I've been high raw for less than 6 months (havnt been keeping the best track) but in the last two weeks i've really been struggling with clothes. I've been looking through my moms old clothes, taking out old clothes i've had forever but never wore, and just wearing any clothes that in not used to. they tend to be more light and cotton. i guess more natural. i just dont want to change out of my house clothes most days. and i've been sleeping naked more often too. It makes sense, instinctually wanting to wear more natural fibers now, i'm just very much against purchasing new anything, especially clothes.

has anyone else experienced this sense of confindement in their clothes since introducing raw?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: uncomfortable in clothes
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: October 17, 2007 12:19AM

I feel confined when I have to wear more than shorts and a tank top. Fortunately the weather where I live permits it for most of the year.

Posted by: Sparkler ()
Date: October 17, 2007 12:20AM

Yes! This summer I left behind all my "cute" clothing and opted for tank tops and shorts instead. If I wore more than that, I felt really restricted. I'm not liking the colder weather right now because I have to put on so much clothing.

Sarah
[goingbananasblog.com]

Posted by: allone01 ()
Date: October 17, 2007 12:32AM

exactly! it's getting cold and I was really looking forward to my big comfortable sweaters- i dont know if ill be able to handle it.
moving closer to the equator sounds more promising and more "right"

Posted by: fruitgirl ()
Date: October 17, 2007 01:04AM

im still in shorts but broke down today and wore shoes

im hoping to continue walking barefoot in the cold wet grass
every morning throughout fall and winter

Posted by: shaine ()
Date: October 17, 2007 02:50AM

yes yes !

I stopped wearing underwear awhile ago.
I sleep naked everynight. (I used to sleep in my street clothes...not even pajamas...in fact, I don't own pjs!)
jeans, even well fitting ones, are the worst.
too much drapey-ness makes me nuts.
I'm very sensitive to things in my hair--I used to always wear it all up, but barrettes and elastics and headbands are tough.
I have these stone rings that I've worn for about 3 or 4 years, and I took them off recently. perhaps an elevated sensory thing.
wild wild.

measure twice, cut once.

"In Watermelon Sugar the deeds were done and done again as my life is done in watermelon sugar." ~r.brautigan

I make paintings

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: October 17, 2007 03:21AM

haha. what a great topic

. personally I haven't bought new clothes (other then under-ware and socks, which I usually buy the 'irregular' ones from street vendors for very little $) in 6-7 years

. I feel fine in most clothing, and don't feel the need for natural fibers but that is just me. I also find the designs for most hemp type clothing to be really lacking or prematurely (and naively) futuristic (have you seen David Wolfe's 'line' LOL). Supporting recycling seems to me a higher vibrating choice then buying natural fibers.

. it is probably true that many types of clothing would be unappealing in a natural setting, but what can you do? I think its a little hypocritical for some to talk about clothing, if they are still using soaps/detergents/oils on their skin and hair, because prior to that it seems it would be mostly the psychological (feeling 'constricted') factor then the clothing itself being problematic for skin/breathing etc...

. I heard someone describe fashion (clearly a product of civ, - modern and ancient/undeveloped) as almost necessitating discomfort. Not that that would always be the case, but why else would a cowboy dress all in a big black suit and overcoat at high-noon.

LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2007 03:22AM by anaken.

Posted by: uti ()
Date: October 17, 2007 03:43AM

I tend to believe the arguments and evidence that our species evolved in the tropics where clothes were biologically unnecessary, hence our lack of full covering heavy body hair or armored skin.

I don't wear clothing or very little at home unless it's really cold. When I do I opt for something loose and soft. We live in a small space and are willing to pay a little extra to keep the temperature in the tropical range. When I come in from work or town I usually can't wait to drop my clothes and the energy they hold.

I do my yoga practice without clothes, unless I'm somewhere where it might disturb someone's peace. A friend of mine who has had a 30 plus year committed yoga practice puts it this way: 'nothing comes between me and god'. I realize that this is not the way the mainstream thinks of yoga judging by the preponderance of yoga wear fashion ads in the yoga periodicals.

We talk a lot about the physical body health aspects of a raw lifestyle in these posts, however one of the main attractions to raw for me is the heightened awareness of the energy body. People commonly say they experience more energy after switching to a raw diet. I don't doubt from my own experience that that is true, but I also experience more sensitivity to feeling my own energy and that of others.

I feel like clothing affects our energy bodies. If you find that hard to believe think of all the millions of nerve endings on the surface of the skin which connect to the body's nerve network which runs on electrical energy. Then think of that system running at optimal efficiency. Then think of tight, heavy and restrictive clothing constantly chafing those heightened nerve endings and preventing them from experiencing the environment in the way they were designed, No doubt in my mind that the overall message being transmitted by those nerves is not positive or healthy.

All that being said, we live in a society that generally does not condone nudity so we do what we must to function socially and biologically. According to one article I read, we have been doing that for about 70,000 years, though initially out of biological necessity to expand into non-tropical climates. In our times we spend our formative years tempering our bodies to the wearing of clothes. But at home, with like-minded friends and in nature, away from the disapproving public eye, we are free to be without clothes.

Wishing you love and joy, light and delight.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: October 17, 2007 04:51AM

naked is good smiling smiley curtains permitting of course winking smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2007 04:51AM by Jgunn.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: October 17, 2007 08:24AM

hmmm.... interesting topic

i like to wear mud

warm mud

then i like to wear water

warm water

then i like to wear the air

warm breezy air

then i like to go back and wear the water

cool water

filled with dolphins

then come out and feel the breeze

cool breeze filled with zephyr mirth

then i like to go back and feel the earth

cool earth on my feet

then.. then... what?

then i wake up in the morning.. and pour my breakfast all over me
yep.... strawberry juice and some spinach chlorophyll

makes a nice mud mask

for sure

i do have sumptuous beautiful clothes

i MUST say

i found them in my blender
tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: frances ()
Date: October 17, 2007 03:27PM

I own one set of PJs, which I use when traveling - sharing hotel rooms with co-workers, staying with family, etc... At home I pile on extra blankets in the winter, though.

anaken- I agree with what you're saying about the natural and organic clothing lines. They always seem to be either silly looking or like workout clothing. I don't prefer to go to the office in clothing that looks like I'm already dressed for my yoga session after work. Recycling is better.

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: October 18, 2007 04:51AM

I'm just the opposite - I used to be really sensitive to the feel of clothes touching my skin except for loose supersoft cottons. I mostly only wore jeans & heels on social occasions. On raw I'm thrilled that clothes don't bother me anymore. I never could understand how people could tolerate jeans but now I love them. I think because I've always had dry skin, that I was always itchy before, but now it's all balanced. I think I still prefer cotton over cashmere though- cotton cotton cotton. love it when it's extra soft & thin.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 18, 2007 03:01PM

i like naked, but i always have. i have naked, hippie parents yo.

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: October 18, 2007 03:21PM

I haven't noticed much difference in the way I'm inclined to dress, except that I love wearing soft cotton tops even more than before-- (and I'd never wear anything synthetic anyway)-- and I have a penchant for super-soft jersey tops that have a lot of 'flow' to them. I used to wear fancier and more fitted clothes, like I'd buy silk tops sometimes, or knit tops that were very body-hugging. Now I prefer relaxed looks, and will only wear a fitted top if it's a very light, soft cotton.

But I always wear stretch jeans when I go out of the house; I love the way they look, and to me they feel comfortable. I usually sleep in a tank top and underwear, and around the house I wear long cotton knit dresses.

Posted by: MauiGreg ()
Date: October 19, 2007 01:16AM

I've always enjoyed being naked, but privately because I was so embarassed by my weight. This was really hard living in Maui and Key West before that because i never even wanted to take my shirt off in public. Of course i would at the beach, but it was always a trade of between being more physically comfortable vs dealing with my weight.
Now that I'm raw, 50+lbs lighter and 5 inches smaller around the waist, it feels so natural to wear as little as is socially acceptable. I don't feel like I'm being judged by others (or my worst critic...myself). Oddly enough I also feel more comfortable in clothes. I always bought XXL clothes because I wanted them to fit loosely (as a disguise). Now all of my clothes that I couldn't fit into for 10 years fit well and even they are a little loose...good thing I can't throw anything out because i've saved $$$ not having to buy new clothes.
Now at home, I'm naked all the time because i finally got my own place...feels great to be totally raw and in the raw!!!

Posted by: fruitgirl ()
Date: October 19, 2007 02:58AM

la_verUnique,

im afraid i'll need pictures

; )

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables