Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

New to 80/10/10 - Food Combining Question
Posted by: belovedhadassah ()
Date: October 18, 2007 03:15PM

Hi!

I am trying out Doug Graham's 811 diet and am having a hard time getting enough calories. So far I have been eating mono meals and not combining anything. I thought that I could get more calories in via smoothies, in particular green smoothies. However, I don't want the fruit/veggies to ferment due to bad food combining. Will taking enzymes prevent fermentation due to bad food combining? If not, any ideas on some calorie rich 811 foods? (I haven't read the book yet-am ordering it soon. I'm just going on what I have read online about this approach so maybe I have missed some important info).
Can any other 811ers help me out?

Thanks!

Rachel (aka beloved hadassah)

www.rawencore.blogspot.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New to 80/10/10 - Food Combining Question
Posted by: kwan ()
Date: October 18, 2007 03:29PM

Especially because you're blending the fruit and greens, it's highly unlikely that the combination will ferment in your intestines. I say go for it. I drink green smoothies almost every day, and I've never had any physical distress whatsoever from them.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: October 18, 2007 03:54PM

you could go to the source

[www.vegsource.com]

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: October 18, 2007 04:57PM

. the most important thing to pay attention to....would be eating fruits when stuff is already digesting in your stomach.

ex. if you have already had ANY cooked foods and/or nuts/seeds that DAY. nix on fruits and stick with greens and vegetables or more simple cooked foods.

- if all you are eating is fruit and veg, and a small amount of fats/density towards the evening (like I think the meal plans recommend). and giving yourself a few hours or so in between meals (or eating two large meals)

then you shouldn't have much problems with fermentation or with mixing fruits and greens.

. its also good to eat fruits alone (if possible) or with other fruits in the same cat:

- acid fruits/ sub-acid / sweet

eg. oranges /apples/ bananas /

- melons are the most important to eat alone on a completely empty stomach, (like first thing in the AM ) if you are not in the habit of light eating.

most of the other food combining stuff only applies to cooked foods. (or raw folks who like to make yam/nut/avocado/date pudding. ug!)

. hope this helps

Posted by: badawie ()
Date: October 18, 2007 06:36PM

I have the book.

Don't worry generally about combining fruit with high water content veg like lettuce etc

typical day (autumn fruits)

breakfast
2 lbs papaya

lunch
smoothie
2 lbs bananas
8 oz romaine lettuce
(blend w/as mush water as needed for preferred consistency)

dinner
course 1: 2 lbs strawberries (eat or blend)
course 2: celery red pepper soup (8oz celery/8 oz red pepper/8 oz tomato)
course 3: strawberry fennel salad (8oz lettuce/8oz fennel bulb/2 lbs strawberries)

I highly recommend reading the book. I didnt realise how much I needed to eat at first, and I didnt know that dr d recommends some greenery with meals. The main idea behind more fruit is because it is almost impossible to get enough calories from veg alone to sustain an athletic lifestyle. I wouldnt worry about combining those kinds of fruit and veg.

Good luck

Posted by: uma ()
Date: October 19, 2007 03:49AM

When I and others I know started out mono eating fruit and feeling like we weren't getting enough calories, it was because we weren't used to eating the volume of food we need to eat. That's cuz our previous diets (even previous raw diets with high fat) were much more dense in terms of calories per volume than fresh fruit.

Some people say, but I ate 4 bananas! Well try working up to 8 or 9 bananas in a sitting!!

One food that's not optimal but I eat a lot of in the winter and packs those calories in fast is fresh dates. Bananas are also really filling for me.

It takes some getting used to, but now I have no problem whatsoever eating more calories than I physically need, of almost all fruit.

Doug Graham's site is a great source for advice on this stuff.

Love,
Uma

Posted by: belovedhadassah ()
Date: October 19, 2007 03:02PM

Thanks everyone! Your reponses were very helpful!! Yesterday was day 4 and I broke thru the 1000 calorie barrier. woo-hoo! I expect that today will be even better. Thanks again! You guys are great :0)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables